ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   coilpack conversion wiring (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/867090-coilpack-conversion-wiring.html)

musso2010 07 January 2011 06:50 PM

coilpack conversion wiring

I need to get rid of my single coilpacks, and im thinking of fitting a coilpack and leads from a MY99. Does anyone know the exact wiring for this conversion?

Ive done a search and havnt found anything conclusive, and i am totally lost when it comes to wiring diagrams.

I did find a thread on another forum, but the guy never reported back if it actually worked and iirc he had 2 wires left over, and i dont want to start butchering the wiring on my current coils until i know exactly what i am doing.

P600wrx 07 January 2011 06:59 PM

bro i always heard having seperate coil packs is wayyyyy better than running 1 coil pack n leads,

musso2010 07 January 2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by P600wrx (Post 9806319)
bro i always heard having seperate coil packs is wayyyyy better than running 1 coil pack n leads,

Ive heard the same, but ive spent nearly 300 on coil packs in the last year, and now i need another 2!! :mad:

P600wrx 07 January 2011 07:10 PM

summat wrong there then mate, or stop buying 2nd hand 1's lol

dj219957 07 January 2011 07:20 PM

are you using genuine coil packs? what mods have you got?

dj219957 07 January 2011 07:21 PM

p600 beat me to it. ive just a genuine one for £60. brand new. i would not concider a copy.

drewruberry 07 January 2011 08:00 PM

your better keeping the single coils but upgrading them to newage ones. the link below will tell you how to do the conversion

http://www.scoobyireland.com/forum/t...rsion-how.html

Tazman861 07 January 2011 08:15 PM

I would also be interested in this conversion but cannot access the link - it says I need to log on???

musso2010 07 January 2011 08:39 PM

Yes guys, brand new coils. My car seems to enjoy eating them. Ill look into doing a newage conversion i think.

P600wrx 07 January 2011 08:46 PM

bro u could have a problem with the ecu as thats the only thing that controls them also check the ecu earth mate

musso2010 07 January 2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by P600wrx (Post 9806682)
bro u could have a problem with the ecu as thats the only thing that controls them also check the ecu earth mate

Yeah im doing the ECU earth tommorrow, shes off the road for a few days so gunna sort out a few niggles...

Jolly Green Monster 07 January 2011 09:54 PM

I have converted to 97/98 coilpack and leads on my classic... started having spark issues at 2.1bar and 665bhp :)

It is easier to use the 97/98 as it doesn't have an ignitor in but the 99/00 does..

the ignitor on your car is on the drivers inner wing.. if you fit a 97/98 it is just a case of altering the wiring.

Simon

musso2010 07 January 2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 9806890)
I have converted to 97/98 coilpack and leads on my classic... started having spark issues at 2.1bar and 665bhp :)

It is easier to use the 97/98 as it doesn't have an ignitor in but the 99/00 does..

the ignitor on your car is on the drivers inner wing.. if you fit a 97/98 it is just a case of altering the wiring.

Simon

Ok Simon, Ive just bought a 97/98 coil pack and leads. Could you give me a diagram on how to fit it? I read somewhere that i have to use the wiring from my 4 original coils, but i dont have any ideas what to join where etc... Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Jamz_ 07 January 2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scubbay (Post 138797)
Ive been askede a few times recently about the how to of this conversion. Found this excellent guide for y'all

THE WHAT:
This is an example how to convert an old EJ20G to work with '02+ WRX ignition coils.

THE WHY:
The EJ20G coils are notorious for failing with age and causing misfires. I had misfires at anything over 0.8 bar, that was traced to two coils that developed cracks in the housing. Below is what I found (I removed the cracked piece on the one on the right to see what was on the inside).

THE HOW:
The old style ignition incorporates an external igniter, the newer style has the igniter built into the coil housing. The old coils have 2 wires; coil trigger and +12V. The new coils have 3 wires; ground, igniter trigger, and +12v. There is a little bit of harness hacking to make it work, but it's pretty straight forward. Here are the basic steps;

1. Cut connector off of old coils
2. Wire the old pigtails to the new coils; Power to power, trigger to trigger. Wire the ground signal to a ring connector and attach to the mount screw
3. Install new coils and connect up to the Ej20G harness as usual
4. Remove the igniter, and snip the 2 connectors from the harness and merge the harness.

Details of the steps above:

1. This is pretty straight forward, just clip off as much of the pigtail from the old coils as possible.

2. The easiest solution is if you have the matching connectors for the new coils from the '02+ harness. I didn't, so I soldered new wires directly to the coils, then attached the old pigtails to the new wires.

Using the above picture as a reference, the pinning is as follows from left to right:

Pin1 : Pin2: Pin3
+12v : GND : Trigger
Red : Blk : Green <--- wire colors I used in my picture
RY : BY : GY <--- '02 WRX harness colors

After soldering the wires, I globbed in a bunch of high temp epoxy to prevent corrosion and to add some strain relief for the pins:

Next comes connecting the old connector to the new coil. You have two colors on the old pigtail, Red and Yellow (one of them might have a stripe, can't remember). Here's the tricky part of this, the wiring diagrams only show the wiring *up to* the coil connectors. The problem is in the diagram, the yellow wire is the +12V, but after the connector, on the coil side, the yellow wire turns into the trigger signal.

** To wire the pigtail to the new coils, connect the Yellow wire to the trigger pin on the new coil and the Red wire to the +12v pin. Put a ring terminal on the center pin wire.

Lastly I shrink tubed and put the ring terminal on the bolt (after cleaning the corrosion under the bolt flange)

3. The coil fits in the early WRX heads perfectly, however there are some fitment issues with the Liberty version of the motors. The engine harness has two coil connectors for each side. The grey connector is for the front coil, the black is for the rear.

4. Last part is to bypass the igniter. I chose to simply cut the connectors out of the harness and merge the harness. The igniter is on the backside of the mounting bracket containing the MAP sensor and boost control solenoid.

Cut both connectors out of the harness and remove the igniter. There are 5 input wires into the igniter from the main harness and 4 output wires leaving the igniter to the engine harness. If you are following from the wiring diagrams, this is a very confusing wire up. The signal pins on the ECU are labeled coil 1, 2, 3, 4. The wiring to the coils are also listed as Coil 1, 2, 3, 4. The trick is that they use different conventions. For the ECU, the pins are labeled in *firing order*. For the coils in the diagram, they are listed as the actual cylinder number. The correct wiring is:

ECU side :: Coil side
---------------------
Yellow-Blue stripe (YL) ---> Red-Green stripe (RG)
Green-White stripe (GW) ---> Blue (L)
Red (R) ---> White-Red stripe (WR)
Black-Red stripe (BR) ---> Blue-Green stripe (LG)
Black (B) ---> no connect

Hope that helps

musso2010 08 January 2011 09:14 AM

Thanks for that :thumb:
But i am doing a conversion using a MY97/98 pack and leads. I was planning on going newage, but i was able to get a pack and leads very cheap.

saiklon 08 January 2011 09:47 AM

You could try searching, it's been covered before quite a few times.
Try this: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...onversion.html

musso2010 08 January 2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by saiklon (Post 9807394)
You could try searching, it's been covered before quite a few times.
Try this: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...onversion.html

I did find that yeah, but you dont mention what version coilpack you used. As a MY99 has an igniter built into it, and the MY97/98's do not...

Steve Subaru Parts 02 December 2012 11:52 PM

Hi just one question do you Remove the Igniter Totally just connected the wires to each over

musso2010 03 December 2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Subaru Parts (Post 10891906)
Hi just one question do you Remove the Igniter Totally just connected the wires to each over

Depends what coil pack you are fitting?