ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Update after Revolution mods - See these old springs! (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/818542-update-after-revolution-mods-see-these-old-springs.html)

MaDaSS 25 February 2010 09:12 PM

Update after Revolution mods - See these old springs!

2 Attachment(s)
I got back to Revolution having shopped at the Metrocentre, expecting my old Eibach springs to be re-sellable. What I found was two of them broken! I was gob-smacked and took these piccies with the iPhone. If you look closely, right near the seat you can see a clear break in one of them and the plastic coating bulging on the other where it has broken inside! So, they went in the skip. :confused:

Lofty91 26 February 2010 11:49 AM

Are you pleased with the new suspension?

cster 26 February 2010 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lofty91 (Post 9250548)
Are you pleased with the new suspension?

You'd bloody well hope to get an improvement on the ones in the picture!

MaDaSS 26 February 2010 04:39 PM

So far I have driven the 150 miles or so back from Gateshead and around Notts since yesterday. Not yet gone for a spirited drive as I want to make sure the tyres are properly scrubbed in first. How many miles that takes I dunno really.
First impressions - Low speed ride over sh1tty estate roads is a little harsher than before (with my broken springs, haha), but nothing unbearable, nor does it make you cringe, nor do you get slammed about.
On faster driving it is fine and no different to before but of course a lot more flatter in turns and stuff. I did have an uprated rear ARB though too.
I am gonna go out next week for a fun drive after work. I wont have time tomorrow, the bloody wife has me down for doing family runs and all sorts! LOL.
The ride height is very similar to the Eibach springs, BUT can be adjusted to stupidly low if req'd, but it aint for me. It may be slightly lower but only by a smidgen.
The front end, now it has springs back, does not dip anything like it did under hard braking and a mysterious clunking noise I had has now gone, so that must have been related to the broken old springs. On some pulls offs, from say traffic lights and stuff, if i was a bit quick off the mark there used to be a clunk. So, although still under "testing" i feel this has gone too.

StickyMicky 26 February 2010 05:57 PM

Walked to the metro centre a few times when the car has been booked into Revolution for work.

:D

MaDaSS 26 February 2010 07:40 PM

Walk! Walk! Err, mmm, ahh. What's that mean? ;)

Lofty91 26 February 2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by MaDaSS (Post 9251184)
So far I have driven the 150 miles or so back from Gateshead and around Notts since yesterday. Not yet gone for a spirited drive as I want to make sure the tyres are properly scrubbed in first. How many miles that takes I dunno really.
First impressions - Low speed ride over sh1tty estate roads is a little harsher than before (with my broken springs, haha), but nothing unbearable, nor does it make you cringe, nor do you get slammed about.
On faster driving it is fine and no different to before but of course a lot more flatter in turns and stuff. I did have an uprated rear ARB though too.
I am gonna go out next week for a fun drive after work. I wont have time tomorrow, the bloody wife has me down for doing family runs and all sorts! LOL.
The ride height is very similar to the Eibach springs, BUT can be adjusted to stupidly low if req'd, but it aint for me. It may be slightly lower but only by a smidgen.
The front end, now it has springs back, does not dip anything like it did under hard braking and a mysterious clunking noise I had has now gone, so that must have been related to the broken old springs. On some pulls offs, from say traffic lights and stuff, if i was a bit quick off the mark there used to be a clunk. So, although still under "testing" i feel this has gone too.

:thumb:Sounds good so far, am interested to know your final evaluation of the Eibachs as they are on my list of potential upgrades.

borderlinechris 26 February 2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9251378)
Walked to the metro centre a few times when the car has been booked into Revolution for work.

:D

no no no, you dont walk there, you get keith or lisa to give you a lift!!:D:thumb: you`ll do plenty of walking when you get to the metrocentre..:D

MaDaSS 26 February 2010 10:03 PM

I'll post up my "full" evaluation after I have been out for a drive. LOL.
With or without the wife squealing at my side!

Dubster 01 March 2010 09:01 AM

Hi MaDaSS, Have you been out for a play yet? How are you getting on with the new set up?? Are you finding it as easy to live with as the old suspension, or have you had your ear bent about how the car isnt as comfortable anymore by the other half? :rolleyes: .......

MaDaSS 01 March 2010 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dubster (Post 9256600)
Hi MaDaSS, Have you been out for a play yet? How are you getting on with the new set up?? Are you finding it as easy to live with as the old suspension, or have you had your ear bent about how the car isnt as comfortable anymore by the other half? :rolleyes: .......

Yes my left ear is well and truly hammered! LOL.
I went out with the wife yesterday around Bakewell in Derbys. Lovely drive but the odd moan here and there. On one corner where i went around only a little quickly, talk about moan! LOL, I loved it. I wasn't even trying and she was bleating about it.
Anyway, I came home from work just now "the long way". Wow! I am impressed. I can finally agree with the comment "on rails" now. I must have had broken springs for ages. The difference is for me, night and day. With the new wheels and tyres, it is very good. I do definitely feel more road vibrations in the car now, and at times maybe a little "bobbly", its not harsh nor jittering iyswim? I drove on some country lanes and loved it. In fact, if had not got the wife at home I would still be out! Hahaha.
Revolutions alignment is superb and with their laser "gizmo" on the tyre balancing rig, that too is superb. No matter who has done my tyres, i have always found a speed of some vibration from the wheels, if only very slight. I have not had any yet with the new tyres balancing.
So over all i am very happy, but there is some low speed comfort that has been lost with the swap to coilovers.
I have not driven it "properly" as such as i am not good enough nor confident enough yet, it has f'ked my confidence as it was before. :)
Superb.

Dubster 04 March 2010 08:47 AM

Sounds like it is all win then for you... apart for a bit of ear bending..... When you say you have lost some low speed comfort, what are we talking? 10mph or 30mph? Again sorry for the questions, but it is this kind of thing I need to put to rest before I make the change, my knocking struts are doing my head in at the moment and as this is a daily car for me I need to get it right..

Thanks
Ian

StickyMicky 04 March 2010 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by borderlinechris (Post 9251784)
no no no, you dont walk there, you get keith or lisa to give you a lift!!:D:thumb: you`ll do plenty of walking when you get to the metrocentre..:D

Its only 10 mins walk you lazy fecker :lol1:

borderlinechris 04 March 2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9263241)
Its only 10 mins walk you lazy fecker :lol1:

lol i know, but you do get a lift in some nice cars:luvlove:

MaDaSS 04 March 2010 12:55 PM

10 min walking! Feck orf! Lol. I don't walk. Simple! Iwould take the car upstairs if I could

MaDaSS 04 March 2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dubster (Post 9256600)

Yeah i have had one play! LOL. I love it. It is easy to live with BUT it depends on what you had before Dubster. The missus was a bit off with it to start with but now is fine and is ok. Lets face it, i only have one car so its ride with me or walk! I would not just recommend it to anyone who is coming from the OEM suspension though, it would be too big a change if you are only looking for replacement stuff. I noticed a "big" change when i just had the springs replaced 5 years ago, and this is another very slight change on that.
But overall for me, with the new wheels, tyres, rear arb, etc, it feels superb and for my skills as a driver i love it.

a16pse 04 March 2010 08:32 PM

Hi madas what suspension and wheels have you had fitted mate.

MaDaSS 04 March 2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by a16pse (Post 9264648)
Hi madas what suspension and wheels have you had fitted mate.

Eibach coilovers and Oz Alleggerita 18x8 wheels.

a16pse 04 March 2010 08:50 PM

if you dont mind me asking how much are the eibach coilovers to buy.

MaDaSS 04 March 2010 08:56 PM

From here £940 New Age Subaru Suspension
There are a lot of decent prices around but when i looked, with delivery, etc, etc they were all similar in the end. I went with Eibach as they make the springs for Prodrive, and they are only height adjustable. I do not want infinitely adjustable ones as i would always be playing LOL.

Dubster 05 March 2010 09:19 AM

At the moment I am running Whiteling springs and Rear ARB, so I have already taken the first step away from OE Comfort, my play car is a '60's VW which is sat on the floor and has the road manners of a tea tray :cuckoo: so I am used to a harsher ride, and to be honest I probably prefer it, but I do not use that all the time, so I am wondering if I will get sick of it on a daily basis..

MaDaSS 05 March 2010 05:40 PM

You would not get sick of the Eibach coilovers on a daily basis. I may have only had mine for just over a week but i am happy with it. The ride is better for me, but then it should be, being as my springs were broken before! lol.
I have noticed the slight change in ride comfort but it is fine. If my missus is happy then it must be ok! ;)

Dubster 06 March 2010 08:07 AM

Hi MaDaSS,

I think this is probably the route for me then, I have found a guy locally who has Coilover suspension not sure what make yet, but he is goig to take me out for a spin, so it should give me a better idea. But I think the last comment sums it up perfectly, If they are other half freindly then it cant be too bad, maybe they should use this as a 1-5 scale when selling suspension from smiley face to angry (I am going to be moaning about this every time I get in the car) face... :lol1:.

Thanks again.
Ian

MaDaSS 06 March 2010 10:08 AM

Glad to help :)
I found the change from oem to Eibach springs the biggest jump in comfort. As you already drive another car that you like with a hard ride, Eibach coilovers are not like that. It is a hard choice to make when u look at all the options. For me, I didn't want multiple adjustment that could be done. But there are BC options for coilovers you can adjust? Just a thought For you.

Dubster 25 March 2010 09:54 AM

Hey MaDaSS,

I have just ordered some Eibach Coilovers, once they turn up I will get it booked in with my mechanic to get them fitted up. But do you know if the Eibach kit comes with front top mounts included? Or did the guys at Revolution swap your top mounts over from your old struts? Also I take it everything cleared your wheels, no need for spacers etc? Just checking so I can drop it off with everything needed, so it doesnt get clogged up on his ramps for a few days.

Thanks
Ian

New_scooby_04 25 March 2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dubster (Post 9307188)
Hey MaDaSS,

I have just ordered some Eibach Coilovers, once they turn up I will get it booked in with my mechanic to get them fitted up. But do you know if the Eibach kit comes with front top mounts included? Or did the guys at Revolution swap your top mounts over from your old struts? Also I take it everything cleared your wheels, no need for spacers etc? Just checking so I can drop it off with everything needed, so it doesnt get clogged up on his ramps for a few days.

Thanks
Ian

They use your existing top mounts to preserve some of the OEM ride comfort and refinement. Don't be tempted to install the non-rubber variety as they result in a significant detriment in harshness with a non-discernible gain in handling on a road car.

MaDaSS 25 March 2010 10:34 AM

Ehup Dubster!
NS_04 has summed it up perfectly. They use original top mounts. Ride would be too harsh with pillow ball mounts. The ride got a little harder from just the Eibach springs so ensure they use your top mounts. Everything cleared fine but I have new wheels also. My old wheels are gonna be winter Tyres from now on.
Hope u like it! I do. :)

MaDaSS 25 March 2010 10:35 AM

Ehup Dubster!
NS_04 has summed it up perfectly. They use original top mounts. Ride would be too harsh with pillow ball mounts. The ride got a little harder from just the Eibach springs so ensure they use your top mounts. Everything cleared fine but I have new wheels also. My old wheels are gonna be winter Tyres from now on.
Hope u like it! I do. :)

Dubster 25 March 2010 09:02 PM

Hello, thanks for the info (and NS_04) I will give the pillow balls/aftermarket stuff a swerve, and stick with the OE top mounts :) It should be just after easter when I get it done so I will let you know how I get on.. Good idea with winter tyres on the old stock rims, mine are sat in the loft at the moment so I can clean them up and put them to good use.. :D

Cheers.
Ian