ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What is 'eaves height'?/permitted development (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/811188-what-is-eaves-height-permitted-development.html)

Dingdongler 20 January 2010 03:56 PM

What is 'eaves height'?/permitted development

I've been looking at permitted developement rules for side extensions. These say that if you are within 2 metres of the boundary the eaves height must be no more than 3m. Which part of the roof defines eaves height? Is it the highest part of a double pitched roof, or where the roof sits on the wall?

Also under perm' dev' rules it says you cannot build if it involves 'the removal, installation or alteration to a chimney, flue or soil or vent pipe'

By this do they mean an underground soil/waste pipe/drain? I have one there on the side which I might need to move. By flue would that mean where my boiler and kitchen extractor exit, this would also have to be moved.

Thanks

pacenote 20 January 2010 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9169384)
I've been looking at permitted developement rules for side extensions. These say that if you are within 2 metres of the boundary the eaves height must be no more than 3m. Which part of the roof defines eaves height? Is it the highest part of a double pitched roof, or where the roof sits on the wall?

Where the roof sits on the wall

Also under perm' dev' rules it says you cannot build if it involves 'the removal, installation or alteration to a chimney, flue or soil or vent pipe'

By this do they mean an underground soil/waste pipe/drain? I have one there on the side which I might need to move. By flue would that mean where my boiler and kitchen extractor exit, this would also have to be moved.

IIRC This refers to above ground features but will double check for you.

Dingdongler 20 January 2010 06:15 PM

Thanks Pacenote. Could you also clarify if 'flue' would include where the steam from my boiler, or kitchen extractor exits?

Cheers

pacenote 21 January 2010 11:30 AM

As I thought this relates to above ground features but is more applicable to commercial development where these items may be substantial structures, the extracts from your boiler or kitchen would not be included.

On a different note which is totally unrelated to planning issues:
If your proposed extension is with 3 metres of your neighbours house then it would come under the confines of " The party wall act ", this is basically to do with how your new foundations might impact on your neighbours dwelling, if you google it you will find out what is required (usually spending more money on surveyors I'm afraid ).

HTH

Dingdongler 21 January 2010 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by pacenote (Post 9170971)
As I thought this relates to above ground features but is more applicable to commercial development where these items may be substantial structures, the extracts from your boiler or kitchen would not be included.

On a different note which is totally unrelated to planning issues:
If your proposed extension is with 3 metres of your neighbours house then it would come under the confines of " The party wall act ", this is basically to do with how your new foundations might impact on your neighbours dwelling, if you google it you will find out what is required (usually spending more money on surveyors I'm afraid ).

HTH

Thanks Pace:thumb:

Forgot about the Party Wall thing:)