ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Head gasket blown - Thermaseal type quick fix? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/696958-head-gasket-blown-thermaseal-type-quick-fix.html)

The Zohan 28 June 2008 06:34 PM

Head gasket blown - Thermaseal type quick fix?

Hi All,

Head gasket is likly got a slight blow - oil to water - small amount of creamy cr@p in the tank, nothing to bad.

Replacing the rad tomorrow which is the likely cause of the problem.

Are any od the pour-in type remedies any good?

My main issue is that the blow will push whatever sealant i put in away as the oil is under pressure and blowing into the water if you see what i mean

The car in question is my old Pug 406 TD sh*tter worth not a lot so do not want to spend good money after bad.

The car needs to last for 12 months or so and around 12k miles and i will likely scrap it.

some of the prods

RxAuto Head Gasket Repair | Blown Head Gasket | Call 1-866-780-9042

Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Repair

Steel Seal- RETAIL CUSTOMERS

Any reccomendations or any to steer away from?

I know i could poist in OM but is it a general question about this stuff rather than car specific if you see what i mean.

David Lock 28 June 2008 07:07 PM

Why would a duff rad cause a gasket problem??

I had similar probs with a 205 tdi and we tried various fixes. Main thing was to check water level daily and top up. It used gallons of water but still ran well :) My main concern was no water and consequent seizure.

In the end I got a new head gasket but an expensive job with a turbo bolted on in labour terms.

I'd say try the fixes first and it might be OK. If not - well pay up or scrap!! david

PS. Isn't that a USA number at top of list :rolleyes:

exvaux 28 June 2008 07:56 PM

peugeot TD engines are a nightmare for head gaskets,dont ever let it overheat,carry plenty of water wherever you go.They warp cylinder heads very very quickly

Sonic' 29 June 2008 01:46 AM

Got a similar problem with the Toyota Previa, and was looking around at some products

one of the cylinders is letting water in, so is misfiring on start, and quite a bit of smoke (unless I drive it every day) but runs ok when running and warm :D

only paid 950 for it, and its 500 for head gasket replacement, I know they mentioned a product over on the Shogun forums that is supposed to be pretty good but the name eludes me for the moment (it is from the states too I believe)

Mine is losing about 3 pints of water for 5-10 mile trips from cold

Shark Man 29 June 2008 03:00 AM

Could always try putting a touch more torque on the head bolts* :D

Tighten in a cris-cross patten. Like you should do with wheel nuts.

*will not be held responsible if a bolt shears off :razz:

Pug 1.9 diesels are common for it. Lack of coolant changes is the main curlprit - old acidic coolant eats the gasket. Simple job, somewhat labour intensive as its typically French with everything being positioned in a cock-eyed manner. Not as bad as doing the same engine in a Pug Expert van....bad back anyone? :mad:

Sonic' 29 June 2008 10:11 AM

What about my Previa SM, bleddy engine is under the drivers seat as its midmount

Book time is 8 hours to change the head gasket on it (its a 2.4 petrol)

Leslie 29 June 2008 11:09 AM

I have always found that once a head gasket gets a small leak, it will only get bigger and have never found a way to plug it successfully yet. Too much pressure to keep in.

Les

Shark Man 29 June 2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic' (Post 7971638)
What about my Previa SM, bleddy engine is under the drivers seat as its midmount

Book time is 8 hours to change the head gasket on it (its a 2.4 petrol)

Never worked on one. Done a few Bedford/Isuzu Midis and LDV/Nissan cubs/vannetes, and despite being mid-engined, its dooable as the access hatch is big enough or the entire seat box can be removed.

Just googled and found pic of previa access - oh dear :D looks like engine has to be dropped out from underneath, or dropped down onto axle stands/ blocks to get enough access to it.

Something tells me Toyota didn't quite think the design through very well with teh Previa :eek: Oh well, Espace is no better, and they go wrong a lot more often ;)

Sonic' 29 June 2008 04:38 PM

Cheers Ali :)

I did have the drivers seat out and access panel (ttok bleddy ages) so I could change the spark plugs thinking it was those originally

Yes not the best thought out layout, but then I have no idea if they changed the access on the newer generation models (mine is the 1st generation 1996 model)