ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   SPACING ON PRIVATE PLATE! NICKED!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/596120-spacing-on-private-plate-nicked.html)

Moonloops 04 April 2007 02:29 PM

SPACING ON PRIVATE PLATE! NICKED!!
It's a chav tax - good!

OllyK 04 April 2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by scooby595 (Post 6810225)
Olly K, my plate was brought purely for profit. Was offered 400 quid a back end of last year, only paid £250 for it 6months prior. See what you're saying, if you buy it to make it look something only when it's rejigged, and thus making it illegal and face the risk of loosing it what's the point ??

( I cannot comment, as you rightly say, what is the point !!) Damn now I look like a fool !!

:-0

I don't see too much point in genuine private plates either, but if it floats you're boat or you're doing for an investment then fair enough. But messing with an ordinary one is a bit like only being able to afford a Reliant Robin, putting a papier mashe ferrari body on it an claiming you're affluent and have a ferrari.

Daz34 04 April 2007 03:08 PM

Glad to see that they are clamping down to be honest. They have let this slide for far too long. I also don't understand why someone has a decent car and puts a chavvy plate on it either. Any party that makes this and fog light offenders their top priorities would get my vote :D

little rick 04 April 2007 03:27 PM

What about people who's cars are so dirty you cant read the plate (or even see the lights) who most police officers completely ignore?

I got pulled for a euro plate (bought perfectly legally and is UK road legal) cos the fine officer serving the community thought the space between the numbers and letters was too small

I have no problems with 'decorative' plates - if you can make out the letters and numbers who cares how big the gap is between them

speedking 04 April 2007 04:16 PM

Abdabz, better to narrow it down to 20 possibles because "Peter" is much more memorable than "P3 TER". When the witness can only remember "P3 something", then you have to consider thousands of possibilities. The use of the computer and say a colour should cause minimal difficulty in tracing a vehicle.

Chris L, I thought that a speed gun could only be used to confirm an officer's opinion that someone is speeding, i.e. the prima facie evidence is the officer's observation, confirmed by the camera? Therefore they should not be constantly filming, but only targetting vehicles that look suspiciously fast. However, in light of the bint done for applying makeup while travelling (deliberately avoid the use of the word driving) at below the limit, I guess this requirement has been waived, or conveniently forgotten?

scoobynutta555 04 April 2007 04:41 PM

If the plate is so unreadable, how come the OP has had a letter through demanding 30 quid. Surely they wouldn't have been able to make out what was on the plate ;) :confused:

Abdabz 04 April 2007 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 6810575)
Abdabz, better to narrow it down to 20 possibles because "Peter" is much more memorable than "P3 TER". When the witness can only remember "P3 something", then you have to consider thousands of possibilities. The use of the computer and say a colour should cause minimal difficulty in tracing a vehicle.

I take on board your statement and disagree. Peter is indeed more memorable that P3 TER. But P3 TER legally spaced and legally fonted is FAR more memorable than the 20+, 40+ god I dont know how many possibilities there are of "Peter" in some gay guise on a chav's plate...
Me thinks the point has been missed, however my anger management classes work well and so I am off now to enjoy my evening :lol1:

anthscooby01 04 April 2007 06:41 PM

God there are some sad people on here! If I want a personalised reg no thats up to me. Personal choice and all that. No doubt some of u who slate me wear dodgy trousers or maybe have ugly wives. Again personal choice (or in some cases the only choice!) My point is should I be persecuted for having a few millimetres extra space between two characters on my plate when there is far far worse stuff going on e.g. people with no insurance etc and dealers selling fraudulent cars amongst many other things!! Plod managed quite easily to read my plate while I sailed past at 50mph so come on give me a break. Totally agree that some plates are ridiculous and should be penalised but seems government is now out to screw every penny it can out of us to pay for their mistakes. God help some of u lot if they bring in fines for ugly wives and dodgy trousers. At least a cut in income tax may be on the cards though with the massive revenue raised!

Bubba po 04 April 2007 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by anthscooby01 (Post 6810955)
should I be persecuted for having a few millimetres extra space between two characters on my plate

Yes. You can't just cherry-pick which laws you are going to obey, you know. Ok, I occasionally exceed the speed limit, but if I was copped fairly I wouldn't be on here bleating about it. :D

Dr Who 04 April 2007 07:06 PM

Why do people flout the law, then start whinging when they get caught?

It would of been a different story if someone else with a dodgy spaced number plate had say hit your car and sped off and you had been unable to get an accurate plate reading due to dodgy spaced plate,

You took a chance and got caught, Tough!

sti-04!! 04 April 2007 07:56 PM

:sleep:

Brit_in_Japan 04 April 2007 10:49 PM

anthscooby01, I sympathize about your wife's car being damaged by an uninsured driver. And whilst a number plate with illegal spacing isn't exactly the crime of the century, you knew it was illegal so stop whinging.

BIJ (3 points for blown headlamp bulb!)

speye91 04 April 2007 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 6808404)
I heard a rumour that mis-spacing of numberplate characters conforms to some species of gay "cruising" code, eg; a double space plus a black rivet in place of a yellow one indicates that the owner wants to be taken up the wrong 'un by an MX5 driver wearing a leather beret. :(

:lol1: :lol1: :thumb:

StickyMicky 05 April 2007 08:32 AM

why is this even getting debated :lol1:

bloke does something wrong
bloke gets caught
bloke complains that he has been caught

:confused:

speedking 05 April 2007 05:38 PM

The debate is whether the bloke actually did something wrong, as he got the NIP and therefore his plate was quite legible (although technically illegal). A parallel debate is whether speed cameras can be used to 'detect' such crimes if the driver is below the speed limit.

_Meridian_ 05 April 2007 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 6813773)
The debate is whether the bloke actually did something wrong,...although technically illegal.

You just undid your own point there. It's illegal or it ain't.

M

speedking 06 April 2007 05:06 PM

I don't think so, I tried to make a distinction, I said did "something wrong", not "something illegal". I suppose I'm saying the law is foolish if legible plates are considered unable to perform their function.

zip106 06 April 2007 07:35 PM

Whilst I don't have a re-arranged or even a private reg. plate,( don't want everyone knowing where I am all the time ;) ) I can't help wondering how 'safety' cameras can give clear images of number plates and drivers faces at whatever speed, but CCTV cameras can never get the faces of the scum that roam our streets at walking speed, mugging old people :nono:

Nothing to do with drivers more likely to pay up any fines, perhaps......?

little rick 06 April 2007 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 6816168)
Whilst I don't have a re-arranged or even a private reg. plate,( don't want everyone knowing where I am all the time ;) ) I can't help wondering how 'safety' cameras can give clear images of number plates and drivers faces at whatever speed, but CCTV cameras can never get the faces of the scum that roam our streets at walking speed, mugging old people :nono:

Nothing to do with drivers more likely to pay up any fines, perhaps......?

Its do with camera direction and how the images are stored

Speed cameras are directed in a very precise area (where the number plate will be and front/rear of the car) and take still images

CCTV is moved to focus on areas (so isn't always pointing in exactly the right place) and records moving images (or a lot of images in sequence if you prefer) - they also dont have the benefit of large flashes to enhance the image in low light conditions

Although I do admit the quality of CCTV equipment in some areas is far poorer than it should be and probably isn't maintained to the same standard as speed camera equipment