ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   clutch questions? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/514839-clutch-questions.html)

ianch 12 May 2006 06:55 PM

clutch questions?

hi can you tell me if the biting point on the clutch pedal is a good way of judging when to change the clutch?
i have a my94 wrx the clutch isnt slipping but the biting point on the pedal is really high virtually fully up.i would prefer to change it before it starts to slip.
thanks ian

AlanPPP 12 May 2006 07:30 PM

No mate..my 95 wrx has had a new clutch and the bite is still pretty high.Is there about an inch of travel on the top of the pedal before you feel pressure? There should be.Slipping is a good indication and probably the only way of telling you need a new one.

When i had my old L reg WRX is first started slipping on the m/way.

ianch 12 May 2006 10:45 PM

thanks for that was worried it might be on its way out! can spend the money on something else now:)

New_scooby_04 13 May 2006 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
No mate..my 95 wrx has had a new clutch and the bite is still pretty high.Is there about an inch of travel on the top of the pedal before you feel pressure? There should be.Slipping is a good indication and probably the only way of telling you need a new one.

When i had my old L reg WRX is first started slipping on the m/way.

As above. I've been lead to believe (and I don't know if its accurate) that the best way to check for slip is to get on the motorway, hold the car on boost in 5th and then give it some welly. Apparently these are the conditions where clutch slip most often first starts to rear its ugly head.

Ns04

AlanPPP 13 May 2006 02:27 PM

NP mate :)

ianch 13 May 2006 10:36 PM

i just thought the biting point seemed far to high never been that high on any previous car and my first scoob was a wrx with auto box so i couldnt really compare!
anyway thanks again for the advice:)

WUZ 13 May 2006 11:45 PM

Its a hydraulic clutch ( no stretching of cables) so biting point will be higher up as it wears.

I would change it.

Russell

gazza19800sti1 14 May 2006 12:26 AM

clutch

what about adjusting it my brand new paddle is very close to the top thats where i like it as can change faster, just cause its at the top doesnt mean its had it .... try to take some pressure off the cylinder see if its any better ... .. maybe it will , if not you lost nothing,, gazza... left foot brake when booting it see if it slips if it does its had it ...

ianch 14 May 2006 07:34 PM

this might sound a silly question but how do i take pressure of the cylinder? im a mechanical novice:)

only reason i asked is because ive never known a bite point so high and never had to change a clutch before so wasnt sure of any warnings apart from it slipping!

thanks again

silent running 14 May 2006 09:06 PM

I've got an ongoing major clutch problem going on another thread at the mo, but looking in here, I just got to thinking - what should I see when I look at the pedal? I can see a small 'buffer' spring to stop the pedal banging against the stop when you bring the pedal up. There's also the larger spring towards the back and higher up which pivots as the pedal goes up and down, so it helps push the pedal down to half way and also helps bring the pedal up from the floor to half way. Are these the only two springs on the clutch pedal assembly itself? I keep wondering if my weird pedal feel is because one is missing from the assembly and has pinged off or something. I know about the springs in the master and slave cylinders and on the clutch release lever.

N602 WRX 27 May 2006 07:21 PM

I wouldnt worry, i have a really high bite on my clutch and always have done! the best way to check for slip is to sit with the handbrake on in second gear, give it a little gas and slowley raise the clutch pedal. If it stalls before the pedal is fully relased its fine! you would be able to tell on the motorway too by cruising in 5th below the boost then flooring it, if your clutch was slipping it would be all noise and no go!

sarasquares 27 May 2006 07:58 PM

i have a high biting point on mine and its slipping as well :(

its got so bad its like going from 2nd gear straight to 5th gear when i pull off. i may as well be driving a wheelbarrow

jonfa18 09 February 2010 10:07 PM

My biting point is so high that I can take my foot totaly of the
clutch when in first gear and it wont stool, and when I put a bit of gas
it then starts to bite not strong but enough to beat a 1.1 ford fiasta, I've
got a realy good clutch but don't know what it is, can anyone help. Thanks
o yeah I 4got it slips when the turbo comz in then it grips. Thanks.