ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   HELP! Torque settings: Caliper bolts and wheel nuts? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/485710-help-torque-settings-caliper-bolts-and-wheel-nuts.html)

v8voodoo 21 January 2006 01:00 AM

HELP! Torque settings: Caliper bolts and wheel nuts?

Hi All,

I would do a search, but...... :Suspiciou

So, can anyone please let me know the torque setting for the front caliper bolts and the wheel nuts so I can change my discs and pads tomorrow...?
Not that bothered for the wheel nut settings as I can feel when they're right, but would like the setting for the caliper mounting bolts as they're errrr.... quite important..!! :eek:

Cheers in advance,
Nige.

stockcar 21 January 2006 08:28 AM

70ft/lb for the caliper bolts and 65ft/lb for the wheel nuts...................

do not be tempted to do the wheel nuts tighter as damage can occur to the threads

alyn

v8voodoo 21 January 2006 02:20 PM

Alyn,

Not only do you supply me with Pagid pads at a great price and at the speed of light, but you pop up on here with top information for me. :notworthy

I know where where I'm going for any more parts.... :thumb:

Top marks from me. :thumb:

Nige.

stockcar 21 January 2006 07:13 PM

we do try..............................

v8voodoo 25 January 2006 01:12 AM

What a difference in just new discs (Subaru standard) and these Pagid 4-2-1 pads..!!! And I haven't even used them properly yet, which leads me on to......

What would the correct bedding in procedure be for the above combo...??

I've read a few suggestions on the web of lies, which include several light pedal uses from 95mph down to 65 mph and three or four medium/hard uses from 110mph down to 65mph both with cooling off in between and light use at the end of each run. Now, as I don't have a private test track, how the hell do I bed 'em in..? Or do I really need to use my private test facility at 2am..?! ;)

Cheers,
Nige.

Gear Head 25 January 2006 07:56 AM

Just drive carefully for the first 500 miles or so. I would avoid heavy stops, especially from anything over 70mph. Discs tend to warp when they get to hot and this applies even more so when they are new.

stockcar 25 January 2006 08:19 AM

the RS4.2.1 comes partly pre-bedded out of the factory and as such needs only around 150-200miles max (combined with the discs) of reasonable driving..................

don't molly coddle or they will never bed properly, but no ABS type stops either!!

DO NOT be attempted to use the aggressive bedding process with RS4.2.1 as this is only for more competition orientated materials and definately will cause problems with discs...................

you always need to bed the components you have properly (in the manufacturers spec) rather than some posts on the web that suggest that every material/scenario is identical..................

hope this helps, alyn

v8voodoo 25 January 2006 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar
the RS4.2.1 comes partly pre-bedded out of the factory and as such needs only around 150-200miles max (combined with the discs) of reasonable driving..................

don't molly coddle or they will never bed properly, but no ABS type stops either!!

DO NOT be attempted to use the aggressive bedding process with RS4.2.1 as this is only for more competition orientated materials and definately will cause problems with discs...................

you always need to bed the components you have properly (in the manufacturers spec) rather than some posts on the web that suggest that every material/scenario is identical..................

hope this helps, alyn

Oi, Alyn......:thumb:
Nice one. Thought the process I found via a Google search seemed a bit extreme.
Thanks again for the excellent advice. :notworthy

Nige.