ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Easy Start spray (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/476971-easy-start-spray.html)

7 Foot 13 December 2005 09:03 AM

Easy Start spray

A friend of mine has asked me to post this question.

I've told him there's a lot if knowledge lurking on this BBS, so no letting me down.

Question: Why is EASY START (an aerosol you spray into the air intake to help start an engine that otherwise won't) said to be addictive for vehicles that have been started using it in the past?

fast bloke 13 December 2005 09:26 AM

probably cos if your engine wont start once and you don't find the root of the problem but just use easy start then you will need it again, as the same problem will still be there

7 Foot 13 December 2005 09:29 AM

That much I could have told him myself.

BlkKnight 13 December 2005 09:49 AM

a friend of mine told me a funny story about his mini and easy start.

He took two cans, turned them upside down and emptied out the propellant.

Then poured the "easy start" juice into his tank with about 5 liters of fuel.

This thing went like a rocket (until one of the pistons broke free)

Terzo 333 13 December 2005 09:59 AM

Easy Start - AKA giving it a sniff :D

Stainy 13 December 2005 10:19 AM

I once used an entire can down a very big hill trying to bump-start a motorbike which had been stood for 12 months.

Just as I ran out of hill, the bike coughed into life and then promptly back fired setting alight to all the unburnt easy start in the air intake.

This wouldn't have been a problem if I was sitting on the seat but I had removed it to get at the air intake so was sat directly on it :eek2: Roasted chestnuts anyone? :iamwithst

Oh how I laughed :freak3:

Totally irrelevant to the thread I know, just thought I should share it.

Robbie T 13 December 2005 10:32 AM

One use of easy start is for ancient diesel engines which don't have glow plugs, they ignite an ether based propellent to warm the air in the combustion chambers allowing the old clanger to start.

I believe Leyland DAF trucks use this system quite a bit. I suppose it could be used as a back up to some knackered heater plugs as it does the same thing, i cant imagine it being harmful.

HTH

DeanF 13 December 2005 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Robbie T
One use of easy start is for ancient diesel engines which don't have glow plugs, they ignite an ether based propellent to warm the air in the combustion chambers allowing the old clanger to start.

I believe Leyland DAF trucks use this system quite a bit. I suppose it could be used as a back up to some knackered heater plugs as it does the same thing, i cant imagine it being harmful.

HTH

I makes them Knock like a **** & as you say generally fro Diesels without Glow plugs, I.e Lister engines, Cement Mixers Etc. & they do get addicted, Sometimes even the users !!! Due to the Smell :D

Dean

ALi-B 13 December 2005 12:03 PM

I wouldn't say it's addicticve for the engine, as it is used to suppliment a fueling or ignition problem that is already present. Where nobody has fixed - therefore gets worse, and so you need to use the EZ start more often...but I do find the smell rather intoxicating :D:D

We just traded in our old AWD 7,5tonner (basically an old Bedford TF with a 6.0l turbo Perkins :D ). And that had a cold start primer which would spray into the intake - wasn't easy start though, just alochol (I think). Never ever needed to use - would always start on the button come rain snow or shine - no glow plugs either.

I used to fire my Landy up on it as the (mechanical) fuel pump kept drining back after it had been left standing, was a case of get a mate to hold the starter, as I sprayed and stood well back (it liked to spit flames :D )

7 Foot 13 December 2005 09:51 PM

Sounds as if Fast Bloke really did sum it up in post 2. I'll pass on the simple explanation . . . . . . . . . and a few of the stories. :D

Thanks guys. :thumb:

fast bloke 13 December 2005 11:28 PM

[reaches round and pats self on the back]

Were you really hoping for an explanation involving the engine management system having a hard life and resorting to sniffing solvents to get out of bed in the morning? :D

ALi-B 13 December 2005 11:36 PM

You mean our stories aren't of any interest :cry:

fine, be like that! :mad:

Now excuse me, but I have to go and "park" my Scoob ;)

7 Foot 13 December 2005 11:36 PM

Hey, I'm only the messenger on this one [furiously passes the buck].

:D

fast bloke 13 December 2005 11:55 PM

you know that they used to shoot the messenger [picks buck up, covers it in superglue and hands it back to 7 foot.... (carefully)]

Robbie T 14 December 2005 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by fast bloke
[reaches round and pats self on the back]

Were you really hoping for an explanation involving the engine management system having a hard life and resorting to sniffing solvents to get out of bed in the morning? :D

Reach around :Suspiciou

Leslie 14 December 2005 12:30 PM

Easy start sprays contain ether which has a low flash point and thius helps to start the car. It can also promote severe detonation for the same reason and therefore can cause damage to the engine. Probably explains the broken piston mentioned above.

Les