ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Template for Private Car Sale Receipt (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/453170-template-for-private-car-sale-receipt.html)

Remster 30 August 2005 02:18 PM

Template for Private Car Sale Receipt

Just sold my car privately and want to prepare a receipt ready for handover later this week. Has anyone got any links to websites with good templates?
I know what should be included on the receipt, "Sold as seen" etc. etc.,

Also, with regard to a bankers draft, am I right in believing you can call the issuing bank to check the draft no. for validity?

Cheers.

Remster 30 August 2005 05:32 PM

Nobody got any templates then. :(

Iwan 30 August 2005 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Remster
Just sold my car privately and want to prepare a receipt ready for handover later this week. Has anyone got any links to websites with good templates?

Also, with regard to a bankers draft, am I right in believing you can call the issuing bank to check the draft no. for validity?

Cheers.

The sold as seen part is legally meaningless, best bet is to simply state that the car is being sold for £x amount and include the date and name/address of both parties. Then both parties sign it.

Can you still get bankers drafts? Most that i've seen have actually been a computer printed bank or building society cheque. This aren't issued if the funds aren't there, so theoretically can't bounce. However they can be cancelled, there's nothing to stop the person giving you the cheque from phoning their bank as soon as they driven your car away, and saying it's been lost/stolen. In this case the bank will stop it for them.

Give your bank a call or ask in your local branch and they'll confirm this. IMO the safest option is either cash, a CHAPS transfer (costs about £25), or doing the whole transaction at a bank where the cashier can verify everything.

DarkForce 30 August 2005 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Remster

Cheers.

Hi there,

I've got a .doc file I usually use, drop me a PM and i'll sent it to you.

I always print 2 copies and keep one, with the person who is buying it putting his/her name and address on the copy I keep. I usually ask to see their driving licence too, just to double check the details - just in case the police come knocking further down the line! This is especially handy if they pay in cash.

Chris

David Lock 30 August 2005 11:19 PM

Very likely legally meaningless as stated above but I still put "No Warranty given or implied". Cash never offends.......