ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Did anyone ever try that CataClean stuff? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/393041-did-anyone-ever-try-that-cataclean-stuff.html)

pslewis 08 January 2005 08:58 PM

Did anyone ever try that CataClean stuff?

About 8 months ago there was a petrol additive that claimed to clean your Catalytic Convertor so that it passed the MOT easy ....

Did anyone ever use it?

Pete

Gutmann pug 08 January 2005 08:59 PM

tried it on a ginger tom down the road and it came up lovely

ajm 08 January 2005 09:30 PM

Never heard of it, but I would imagine it would do absolutely nothing.

dpb 08 January 2005 09:54 PM

how would cleaning your cat save you from mot failure ................:rolleyes:

ALi-B 08 January 2005 11:46 PM

Normally a good hard thrashing round the block immediately prior to the emissions test is enough to get most cat equipped cars through an MOT emission test which they have previously failed.

It's just a matter of getting them hot enough to "light" and stay lit, as they have a habit of cooling down and stop working during the natural idle test.

That is presuming the engine is running ok - most of the time it fails is because they aren't (or they are Rovers ;) )

Leslie 10 January 2005 12:44 PM

Sounds like another bottle of "snake oil" to me.

Les:)

Brendan Hughes 10 January 2005 01:19 PM

You oil your snakes? :eek:

PS Hi ajm ;):D

pslewis 06 February 2008 03:34 PM

So, has this CataClean stuff gone away?

Did it ever work?

With all this MOT Emissions stuff and cars failing I thought it worthwhile reviving thread.

Leslie 07 February 2008 01:13 PM

Do what Ali-B says Pete.

Nothing like an oily snake Brendan.

Les :)

mart360 07 February 2008 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 4163679)
Normally a good hard thrashing round the block immediately prior to the emissions test is enough to get most cat equipped cars through an MOT emission test which they have previously failed.

It's just a matter of getting them hot enough to "light" and stay lit, as they have a habit of cooling down and stop working during the natural idle test.

That is presuming the engine is running ok - most of the time it fails is because they aren't (or they are Rovers ;) )

For your info :D

i took my scoob in for its mot, it took bl**dy ages for the cat to light up, before passing :thumb:

my wifes rover on the other hand, sailed through on the first attempt, with ease :)

never judge a book by its cover ;)

Mart

pslewis 08 February 2008 08:47 AM

Reason I ask is because my MX5 is due its MOT in a month or so - it has struggled in the past to get through (on Emissions!). Mechanic says it is due to lack of use over the winter and it's very low mileage per year use.

Anyway, I put some Injector Cleaner in it 2 years ago and it flew through with no problem. However, last year it 'just' made it again (despite me giving it a good run before the test and using injector cleaner in it).

I was in Halfords yesterday and saw some Emissions Reducer stuff, it actually said 'use before MOT' ..... now, is it bollox or does it get your car through by altering the exhaust fumes in some way?