ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Loose Exhaust Baffles - and MOT Failure??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/126661-loose-exhaust-baffles-and-mot-failure.html)

V5 29 August 2002 04:50 PM

My wife's MX5 (mk1) is emitting a buzzing/vibrating noise from the exhaust (we think) at certain revs. Now, it's mounted (hung) from rubber straps, so I don't think it's something wrong with the fitting. We're thinking that perhaps the baffles are loose in the silencer. I popped into Kwik-Fit to see what they think/charge for a replacement and they guy in there said that it (loose baffles) was an MOT failure. Now I've had a company car for a few years, so I'm not too sure about this. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Also, if it is loose baffles(not sure how I could confirm that), is a replacement the only way? They, Kwik-Fit, are charging £157 inc fitting and VAT. Anyone know where we could get something cheaper? I have STFW :D, but not seen anything yet.

Many thanks in advance. :)

V5 29 August 2002 04:52 PM

@rse - I hate it when you get a typo in the subject header!! :(

Loose Exhaust Baffles - and MOT Failure???
...an MOT....

D'oh

ScoobyJawa 29 August 2002 04:55 PM

Shouldn't do - unless its creating the noise to be over the legal limit.

Providing the CAT still works and is doing its job so it passes the emmissions test then its fine :D

I did tell her (The MX5 is my sis's ;)) just to go and get a big F Off loud jap stylie stainless steel job but she wasn't having none of it!!!! ;) Then me and her could have zorst wars ;) :D

ScoobyJawa 29 August 2002 04:56 PM

And on another note - never listen to a word Kwik Fit say - you're better off by far going elsewhere IMHO ;)

Dr Hu 29 August 2002 04:59 PM

Not good news I know, but I have heard exhausts rattle in the manner you describe if the catalyst is breaking up - basically the cat honeycomb structure gets slightly samller as it rattles and is no longer a tight fit in the pipe - thus vibrates at certain revs - usually on trailing throttle/overrun.

V5 29 August 2002 05:00 PM

Shouldn't do - unless its creating the noise to be over the legal limit
He was on about emissions, and I didn't really believe him :o, hence the post :D

zorst wars
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:They (my now wife and in-laws) appeared quite normal before all the legal stuff got finalised. Talk about being lulled into a false sense of security! :rolleyes::p:p:p:p

V5 29 August 2002 05:02 PM

Dr Hu :eek: hope not! The noise does appear to be coming from the back of the car, and the cat is very much up the front.

Dr Hu 29 August 2002 05:03 PM

just remembered the time honoured fix for loose things in the exhaust is to make then tight again by reshaping the exhaust to make the loose bit tight again.

What i'm trying to say is....whack it with the biggest hammer you can find and see if it stops or changes it - you may not have anything to lose if you're having to change it anyway - it may save you the cost & bother.

ScoobyJawa 29 August 2002 05:06 PM

He's talking crap then ;) My 306 had a faulty CAT and still passed the emissions test!!!!

LOL - mwaaaaaahahahaha - our plan is working ;) :p :D

scooby_si 29 August 2002 06:08 PM

The silencer thing on my Blitz NURspec rattles at low revs & i've just got sum bandage type stuff which can take temps 2 650c so i'm hoping i will b able to wrap that around the silencer b4 screwing it in & it will prevent the silencer rattling against the backbox. Dunno if that's similar 2 wot yer askin but i'm only doing it since it sounds cheap & if i dont have silencer then neighbours r guna lynch me:eek::p
Si

scoobyboy 29 August 2002 06:42 PM

it should pass providing it is not blowing excessivly it is in it's mountings of which none are broken and it passes the emissions test and it's not hitting the bodywork then loose baffles will not matter, you would have to be a really mean tester to fail it on that. i wouldn't

Krade 29 August 2002 06:44 PM

take the car for an mot its on £30 if it fails you know you need the new exhaust, if doesnt it £30 instead of £160. If it is knackerd try Merit tyres in Kingston as they are reasonably priced.

[Edited by Krade - 8/29/2002 6:45:17 PM]

ScoobyJawa 29 August 2002 06:59 PM

Si,

James Harvey wrapped some exhaust tape/bandage round his Nur Spec silencer/bung and he said it really cut the rattle down loads, didn't cure it but was much better.....

Cheers
Neil

V5 29 August 2002 07:54 PM

Cheers guys.

The car is obviously sulking - this has only started since we began talking about upgrading to a mk2 :rolleyes:

I don't know about the "whack it" idea....might resort to that. Certainly won't be replacing just because of the emissions test.

So does anyone know the best place for replacement exhausts (other than Kwik Fit)?

V5 29 August 2002 08:05 PM

Had also posted on mx5mods.com and have been pointed at mx5parts.co.uk where they do a replacement for £109 inc vat.

ScoobyJawa 30 August 2002 11:39 AM

Buy the cheapest (if you have to) and I'll fit it!!! :D

V5 30 August 2002 11:57 AM

Cheers ears :D:D:D

<Still hoping we...errrr...I :rolleyes: don't have to fork out!>

[Edited by V5 - 8/30/2002 11:58:17 AM]

ScoobyJawa 30 August 2002 12:46 PM

;) :D

V5 30 August 2002 03:05 PM

:D:D:D:D:D

Had some more replies from mx5mods.com and they are saying it's most likely a loose heatshield :

The noise will be from a loose heatshield! Almost every '5 has had this problem if its over a few years old.
and

I would tend to agree with Glynn on this one... It's most liekly to be a heatshield and I reckon it is probably the one that goes above the small centre expansion box. Two large jubilee clips and a bit of scrawming under the car should fix it. Mine's done the same, mostly around the 2000-2500 rpm mark.
Fingers crossed!! :D Will have a look at the weekend.

ScoobyJawa 30 August 2002 03:10 PM

pesky bl00dy heat sheilds - mine did after fitting my downpipe - well annoying it was!!!! sorted now :D

V5 30 August 2002 03:22 PM

Corner?

V5 30 August 2002 03:23 PM

woohoo!

My first! :D:rolleyes: