Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Drove a 111R Elise today

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 02:28 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popped into Bell & Colville with a mate who has had 2 Elise's & is looking to change his current Boxster.
He went for a blast & I loitered around the Lotus's & Scoobies then when he came back I went out.

I have never actually driven an Elise but been driven lots in my mates 111S which - to be honest - I felt was not as fast as I was expecting.

The 111R addresses this nicely with its VVTI (Variable Valve Timing Intelligent - or something like that) 190bhp Toyota engine.
Its free revving, delivers a nice spread of torque (making it a good drive around town at low speeds) & at 6200 rpm gives an extra chunk of acceleration thats addictive.

Now I drive a Porsche 996 & to compare the 2 just isn't right - they are so different - but you cant help yourself making comparisons.

The demonstrator car only had 400 miles on it so was a little tight and the back roads were damp - but I was still allowed to give it some welly on the open stuff.
Great handling - very "go-cart" like & you can point it in any direction & just goes there.
The brakes are now servo-assisted ABS jobbies & there is about an inch of travel before they begin to bite which is initially a shock but you get used to it.
Performance wise you often feel you are going faster than you are (low to ground....noise etc) & when I thought I might be approaching 120 on a very deserted bit of motorway I glanced down & it was more like 90.......very different to the 996 when you look down & you are going faster than you thought !
In a straight line the 996 would beat it to 100 & after that no contest. Top speed is 150 according to the dealer.

I have always been a big fan of the looks of the S2 Elise's & this one is no different - the bonnet is raised however to house some new bits (ABS stuff ?) which spoils the look of the car somewhat - but thats just a small thing.

With aircon (an option), a hardtop, ABS, better sound proofing, thicker carpets etc its certainly more refined & moves it closer to a Boxster in terms of every-day use. I can't see many Boxster owners (or potential owners) getting one though, but I am sure Lotus lovers will love it !

Ro.