Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Would you still buy a diesel car?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2016, 11:21 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you still buy a diesel car?

Hi

I'm looking to replace my family car with something a bit more sensible. I must admit I'm not a big fan of diesel cars, I've only owned one and never really gelled with it. I also don't do that many miles ie less than 5,000 a year and so the greater vehicle purchase price and cost of diesel fuel doesn't make financial sense.

The problem is that some of the cars I'm looking at only have diesel engines ie VW Passat estate and others only make one puny petrol in the range.

My biggest concern is whether diesels will get banned from City centres in the near future or be slapped with some punitive retrospective tax. Is this a real possibility?
Old 30 December 2016, 11:35 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I was in the same position looking for something at least 5 series sized, doing less than 5000 a year in what this car was replacing. I found very limited choice of petrol engines (except for high performance versions) and ended up buying a 3.0 TDI. It was OK, but I kept it 6 months and bought the petrol version instead and that was good enough to replace my performance car too.

I was happy enough with a smooth six cylinder diesel, but wouldn't want the fours which were just plain nasty.

Whilst I was doing low mileage, the journeys were usually 15 miles each time so less worry about DPF.

For a dude like you, choose your engine then your vehicle, even for your family car
Old 30 December 2016, 11:48 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

The 2.0 TFSI is a good engine in the vag range, with a map has the edge over a 3.0 V6 TDI.
it's what I have in my Audi avant.
Old 30 December 2016, 11:50 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Were out of Europe now so pollute away
Old 30 December 2016, 02:55 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.
Even though the Mrs does 15k pa I'd still get another thirsty petrol engine.

Struggling to come up with an alternative to the M3 that isn't a Merc or Audi, that has a large capacity petrol engine.

Last edited by zip106; 30 December 2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 30 December 2016, 08:37 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

NO.
Old 30 December 2016, 09:24 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

No

Only bought it for fuel economy and petrols seem on a par if not better now.

We were well and truly stitched up by the car companies,government and the fuel companies as far as diesel goes.A right flipping turn around
Old 30 December 2016, 09:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i think people have been flattered by the torque as much as the perceived cost savings ( all talk)
Old 30 December 2016, 10:09 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
The 2.0 TFSI is a good engine in the vag range, with a map has the edge over a 3.0 V6 TDI.
it's what I have in my Audi avant.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, just pop on a Audi forum, you will find they are terrible, and I own one lol.
Old 30 December 2016, 10:27 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, just pop on a Audi forum, you will find they are terrible, and I own one lol.
Totally opposite here.
I have the b8 avant and it's excellent (mind had a new engine for free due to oil consumption, been excellent since) owned about 3 years now and it's a very surprising car.
2.0 TFSI Quattro avant remapped.
Old 30 December 2016, 10:41 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Pop on audi sport , daily posts with the 2 ltr, plastic flaps, carbon issues, injector issues, fuel pump followers, misfires, all the range,
And build quality is terrible.

Last edited by JDM_Stig; 31 December 2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 30 December 2016, 10:44 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Your talking about the b7!

Mine the longitude b8 different TFSI, never had one problem with mine. The only thing that was common on these were from 2009-2012 oil consumption issues which Audi covered.
Old 30 December 2016, 10:55 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

The b7 has had loads of problems hence I didn't buy one.
Old 30 December 2016, 11:11 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
I was in the same position looking for something at least 5 series sized, doing less than 5000 a year in what this car was replacing. I found very limited choice of petrol engines (except for high performance versions) and ended up buying a 3.0 TDI. It was OK, but I kept it 6 months and bought the petrol version instead and that was good enough to replace my performance car too.

I was happy enough with a smooth six cylinder diesel, but wouldn't want the fours which were just plain nasty.

Whilst I was doing low mileage, the journeys were usually 15 miles each time so less worry about DPF.

For a dude like you, choose your engine then your vehicle, even for your family car

Lol @ the last comment. Its not the fuel economy that I'm so bothered about, I just don't want two cars that have high insurance/road tax/maintenance/tracker subscriptions etc.

By the way, the car you changed from diesel to petrol, was that the Audi A8?
Old 30 December 2016, 11:14 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Lol @ the last comment. Its not the fuel economy that I'm so bothered about, I just don't want two cars that have high insurance/road tax/maintenance/tracker subscriptions etc.

By the way, the car you changed from diesel to petrol, was that the Audi A8?
S8 iirc.
Old 30 December 2016, 11:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

The b7 has had loads of problems hence I didn't buy one.
Brand new cars are still suffering with the same issues lol lol
Old 30 December 2016, 11:17 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

So from this small sample it seems people agree with me ie a diesel makes no sense. The problem is that trying to buy anything other than a diesel is a bit of a mission. There are the high powered petrol variants but thats not what I'm after.

I've just had a quick look through the approved used Audi A4 Avant and it seems 90% are diesel. BMW 3 series touring (though I've sworn never to buy a car with run flats again) is a similar story.

VW passat doesn't even have a petrol variant.
Old 30 December 2016, 11:18 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Your talking about the b7!

Mine the longitude b8 different TFSI, never had one problem with mine. The only thing that was common on these were from 2009-2012 oil consumption issues which Audi covered.
What year is your car?

Thanks
Old 30 December 2016, 11:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Yes.
Old 31 December 2016, 04:21 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No IMO.

For me if I want something cheap to run I'd probably get a cheap to run petrol maybe even a Prius... But if your doing so few miles it makes no difference and the low down power of dervs can make them easier to drive.

I've had a fair few diesels and they have been ok, but only because I really had to take care of them. I.e. frequent oil changes, intake manifold cleaning, egr blocking etc etc. Nothing with a DPF. But generally I found diesels if they go wrong and they do i.e. turbo, injectors, DMF flywheel/clutch etc etc. When one thing goes that's your mpg benefit gone. Not what you asked I know but I thought it was interesting none the less.
Old 31 December 2016, 08:21 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I used to have one of the first vrs octavias (1.8T).Great fun,but my wife had Fabia vrs 1.9tdi.We used to fight over the keys for the Fabia.Even though the octavia was quicker,Fabia felt so much more fun.

Rubbed my hands together when picked up one of the new vrs octavia with the tdi

Great car,but doesn't feel in any way quick or have that oomph.Just didn't recreate the fun we had with the fabia.

I just feel like I've bought a motorway rep mobile now.Should have gone petrol ( although I note the arguments above about the 2.0 tsi.lol )
Old 31 December 2016, 08:57 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Brand new cars are still suffering with the same issues lol lol
You may lol, but I've had mine for over 3 years, not a single problem touch wood.
Best family car I've had and is no slouch, the drivetrain is pretty awesome and I think it's my best family car I've had to date, pretty hard for me to replace tbh.
What year is your car?

Thanks
2010 mate, the Torsen Quattro is awesome, proper Quattro, not like the haldex which is part time.
A cdnc engine found on b8s and stronic/dsg mapped up can give most sports cars a run.
Old 31 December 2016, 09:05 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

So from this small sample it seems people agree with me ie a diesel makes no sense. The problem is that trying to buy anything other than a diesel is a bit of a mission. There are the high powered petrol variants but thats not what I'm after.

I've just had a quick look through the approved used Audi A4 Avant and it seems 90% are diesel. BMW 3 series touring (though I've sworn never to buy a car with run flats again) is a similar story.

VW passat doesn't even have a petrol variant.
Decent petrol cars are quite rarer tbf, I had a mare finding mine, I set my heat on a car, but wanted all the spec to go with it, so ended waiting 2 months. I knew about the oil consumption problem before and I read that Audi were paying contributions towards cost of new engines as was a design fault, so thought worst case I'll throw a couple of grand at it, but instead all FOC.
Find the type of engine you want and then wait patiently for right car to crop up.
They do the Passat in the R36 still rare car again.
I wanted the BMW tbh but the Audi got it because 4wd and that's what swayed my decision.
Old 31 December 2016, 09:08 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

The Octavia vrs is a good choice also but only fwd.
Old 31 December 2016, 10:09 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You may lol, but I've had mine for over 3 years, not a single problem touch wood.
Best family car I've had and is no slouch, the drivetrain is pretty awesome and I think it's my best family car I've had to date, pretty hard for me to replace tbh.

2010 mate, the Torsen Quattro is awesome, proper Quattro, not like the haldex which is part time.
A cdnc engine found on b8s and stronic/dsg mapped up can give most sports cars a run.
I replaced a 2.5TDi Quattro with a 2.0T tfsi Quattro (Avant) - and agree they are great cars, with a proper 4x4 drivetrain, and look fantastic too

although mine is a 06 plate - so a B7? - it does not suffer the Oil consumption problem

but when looking at any new car, all seem to have horror stories attached
Old 31 December 2016, 10:48 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I replaced a 2.5TDi Quattro with a 2.0T tfsi Quattro (Avant) - and agree they are great cars, with a proper 4x4 drivetrain, and look fantastic too

although mine is a 06 plate - so a B7? - it does not suffer the Oil consumption problem

but when looking at any new car, all seem to have horror stories attached
If you like that then you'll love the b8 more as they have different Quattro set ups, the one in mine is the rs4 t3 Torsten diff which they put in all a4/a6 2009onwards and they just grip so good.
Again you have the nightmare engine as said by jdmstig above with its host of issues and the major of all the chain timing belt snappping and ruining engine.
Luckily hope yours is good but just something to be wary of.

Agree, you can find common faults with all cars if you look hard, it's just down to what you are willing to live with and repair etc as more faults get revised parts that avoid it going wrong again etc.

I really do find mine hard to beat in terms of replacing for a like for like or better as in , running costs, power, handling, practically, comfort, luxury, 4wd, price etc.
I did think about a s4 but I think would be a little much for daily fuel running costs etc for that extra power lol
Old 31 December 2016, 03:32 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I must say the new A4 Avant could be a contender. Looks good with a fantastic interior and gadgets. It's had good reviews even though most say it's not as 'sharp' to drive as the comparable BMW.

My own experience is that any BMW with 17 inch or bigger wheels, run flats and M sport suspension has the most shockingly bad dynamics imaginable.

I'm going to have a drive of the a4 in the new year. Going back to the original topic of this thread....the problem will be finding a 252 ps petrol model. So far I've only found one nationally at my budget level.

Perhaps I'll have to consider the 218 PS V6 diesel model

Last edited by Dingdongler; 31 December 2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 31 December 2016, 05:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

19" run flats, M sport fixed suspension on wife's car. Nice on dry and smooth surface. In Scotland on a bumpy two way road in winter it feels like you need both sides.
Old 31 December 2016, 05:36 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Could go a bit left field and look at the Subaru Levorg GT... 1.6 L turbo petrol
Old 31 December 2016, 08:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I must say the new A4 Avant could be a contender. Looks good with a fantastic interior and gadgets. It's had good reviews even though most say it's not as 'sharp' to drive as the comparable BMW.

My own experience is that any BMW with 17 inch or bigger wheels, run flats and M sport suspension has the most shockingly bad dynamics imaginable.

I'm going to have a drive of the a4 in the new year. Going back to the original topic of this thread....the problem will be finding a 252 ps petrol model. So far I've only found one nationally at my budget level.

Perhaps I'll have to consider the 218 PS V6 diesel model
If a4 make sure you test a Quattro one as it's night and day over the fwd.
Surprisingly, I have the 19" wheels on mine and the sline suspension absorbs it nicely as I thought it would be harsher. The se has softer higher suspension.

Quick Reply: Would you still buy a diesel car?