Electric cars-generally..

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2016, 08:46 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Electric cars-generally..

Have to say engine noise does it for me

Dont care how quick these cars are,but,my god,most have been beaten with the ugly stick too

please tell me it is not the future
Old 23 October 2016, 08:53 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The sound of the engine is a big part of things for me so thank god i am not in germany because they are on about banning petrol driven cars which i find ironic with their past history.
Old 23 October 2016, 09:06 PM
Greenslade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Prius is an irritating minging lump of awfulness.

You can't even hear them in a car park, when they're about to drive over your toes.
Old 23 October 2016, 09:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
please tell me it is not the future
unfortunately yes

and probably quicker that you/we think
Old 23 October 2016, 10:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Think it's good shape the prius, all it needs is nice V8 under the hood

Saw almost beautiful silver tesla today
Old 23 October 2016, 10:37 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Embrace it.

No complicated ICE (the motor, not stereo lol) to go wrong. Just (relatively) simple rotors, stators and batteries. But perhaps not, so much, the wiring harnesses.

Obviously should these items go wrong, then they'll be expensive to replace. But should the technology continue to evolve apace, then, like everything, prices tumble.

Plus, instant, 100% of the torque from standstill, on demand... Well, in theory.

Last edited by joz8968; 24 October 2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 24 October 2016, 07:51 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

This isnt ugly...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tes...oPD5p7xhIAM%3A

or this....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tes...A50916lMTzM%3A

Last edited by lozgti1; 24 October 2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 24 October 2016, 08:46 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.mnx.ca/ModelS/_data/i/upl...cbc9d66-me.jpg

Looks better , imo . Certainly could be lot worse for a 4 seater

Last edited by dpb; 24 October 2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 24 October 2016, 09:36 AM
Greenslade
Scooby Regular

Some of the Teslas are stunning yeah, but you'd need another mortgage to buy one.
Old 24 October 2016, 09:40 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

So true....

Get price,noise,style correct..I would buy one
Old 27 October 2016, 01:49 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a bit of an odd combination, but I have a WRX Wagon and a Nissan Leaf.

I generally use the Leaf to get to work and back, since it's usually a dull slog of traffic jams. It is quiet, comfortable, and very easy to drive (especially in traffic since it has just forward or reverse, no gears as such). It's also quite neat that you can warm up or cool down the cabin remotely, so it is always a nice temperature when you get in, and I never have to scrape ice off the windscreen in winter. We are paying £200/month on a PCP and will give it back after 2 years (10K miles/year). Since it's tax free and everything else apart from insurance is covered by warranty, the only other cost is electricity. We've spent £330 of electric to do 13K miles, so about 2.5p/mile. If I had used that money to pay for petrol in the Scoob, it would have to have averaged 220 mpg to get me the same distance!

For 95% of our journeys, the Leaf is good. For longer trips, and when I want to have some fun, we take the wagon.

I am a complete petrolhead but a lot of the time you just can't enjoy the noise, speed or power, so then the annoyances come through like firm ride, 10+ year old controls and entertainment, higher insurance, 28 mpg, etc etc. For me the wagon is a weekend toy as well as a family car - I wouldn't get away with a totally selfish fun car like a 2 seater!

Best of both worlds (even though I am always thinking of what else to add and where I could park it...)
Old 28 October 2016, 11:18 AM
Ash Webster
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boggissimo
It's a bit of an odd combination, but I have a WRX Wagon and a Nissan Leaf.

I generally use the Leaf to get to work and back, since it's usually a dull slog of traffic jams. It is quiet, comfortable, and very easy to drive (especially in traffic since it has just forward or reverse, no gears as such). It's also quite neat that you can warm up or cool down the cabin remotely, so it is always a nice temperature when you get in, and I never have to scrape ice off the windscreen in winter. We are paying £200/month on a PCP and will give it back after 2 years (10K miles/year). Since it's tax free and everything else apart from insurance is covered by warranty, the only other cost is electricity. We've spent £330 of electric to do 13K miles, so about 2.5p/mile. If I had used that money to pay for petrol in the Scoob, it would have to have averaged 220 mpg to get me the same distance!

For 95% of our journeys, the Leaf is good. For longer trips, and when I want to have some fun, we take the wagon.

I am a complete petrolhead but a lot of the time you just can't enjoy the noise, speed or power, so then the annoyances come through like firm ride, 10+ year old controls and entertainment, higher insurance, 28 mpg, etc etc. For me the wagon is a weekend toy as well as a family car - I wouldn't get away with a totally selfish fun car like a 2 seater!

Best of both worlds (even though I am always thinking of what else to add and where I could park it...)
do you charge it from an outlet at your home then? what are they like on the motorway? i do a 25 ish mile journey to and from work every day. Whats the insurance like as well? ( i pay £170 a year on a 1.6 focus )
Old 28 October 2016, 11:26 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
do you charge it from an outlet at your home then? what are they like on the motorway? i do a 25 ish mile journey to and from work every day. Whats the insurance like as well? ( i pay £170 a year on a 1.6 focus )
Yes youbwill need a special outlet installed from your fuseboard
Old 28 October 2016, 11:46 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
Yep, I have a wall-mounted charger at home (dedicated 16A wiring from the fuse box). At the time we got the car, they were bundling home chargers for free with new cars; not sure if that's still the case. You can also charge from a normal 13A plug, but it takes longer/overnight.

They drive like a normal car, but run out of puff at higher speeds, and it uses lots more battery because of wind resistance, so they are not motorway cruisers (Tesla excepted). 25 miles to/from work would be easy, even if there is some motorway involved. I would count on 80 miles range in the depth of winter, and about 100 in summer, with the 24kWh Leaf we have. Newer cars have a bigger battery (30 kWh) so can go further without recharging.

Insurance used to be more expensive, because the insurance companies didn't know what to do and there will be a higher rate of write-offs compared to petrol cars just because there's less expertise in repairing them. It has probably improved since – I pay about £240 a year for the Leaf, which is the same as I was paying for the Alfa 147 (2 litre) we had before.

Also forgot to mention that the wife loves it! She doesn't like manual gearboxes and it is even smoother than an automatic, just go/stop.
Old 28 October 2016, 01:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I was out working with Formula E and have to to say that not having to wear ear defenders is awesome.
Old 28 October 2016, 01:19 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

FWD,RWD,AWD

You choose
Old 28 October 2016, 02:52 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Just wrote out a massive long massage and Scoobynet logs me out thats alot.

A friend of mine was spending £50 a week on fuel to run a Skoda diesel to work and back, now using that money on finance on a Nissan leaf, and they have a Range rover aswell. So its a good pay off but what everyone needs to remember is that as soon as the government gets a large amount of people on electric cars the pay off will end, as the government makes a mint on taxing fuel and when that drops you can be sure they will tax electric cars massively.

If your going to get one as a second car on finance i'd hurry up. And i wouldn't buy one as you will have to replace the battery in 5 years which Nissan says will be £5339.17 but will give you £821.54 for your old battery.

Link below as info on it.

http://insideevs.com/breaking-nissan...-heat-durable/
Old 28 October 2016, 03:16 PM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
A friend of mine was spending £50 a week on fuel to run a Skoda diesel to work and back, now using that money on finance on a Nissan leaf, and they have a Range rover aswell. So its a good pay off but what everyone needs to remember is that as soon as the government gets a large amount of people on electric cars the pay off will end, as the government makes a mint on taxing fuel and when that drops you can be sure they will tax electric cars massively.

If your going to get one as a second car on finance i'd hurry up. And i wouldn't buy one as you will have to replace the battery in 5 years which Nissan says will be £5339.17 but will give you £821.54 for your old battery.
I agree it's likely that the government incentives to switch to EV are likely to go down, but they are still making a lot of economic sense at the moment, as long as the usage pattern is suitable. No point looking if you do 100+ miles a day or lot of motorway driving, at least until bigger batteries become more affordable. Dealers may be less able to offer big incentives in terms of future values to get the finance costs down, as they are dirt cheap in the second hand market.

The early fears of battery degradation are mostly unfounded – the first Leafs came to the UK in 2011 and are still going strong. Thermal degradation is a lot more of an issue in the USA (where that link is from, and 2 years ago), but here with our mild weather the batteries are holding up very well indeed.

2011 Leafs with <20K miles are going for £6K and would easily do another 5 years with basically no maintenance required, so if you don't do that many miles, it's a no-brainer.
Old 28 October 2016, 04:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Snore boxes ...pretty much all hybrids and pure electric. Leafs, outlander PHEV, Prius etc embodies everything that is wrong with cars in general from a car enthusiast's point of view.

Outlander PHEV's a pure attempt at evading vehicle taxes and cheating emission and mpg figures...go find a owner that can get anywhere near its official 150+ MPG.

Exception to the rule; BMW i8, Koenigsegg hybrid (Regera), and the current line of Teslas.

Personally I'd have the Koenigsegg hybrid...just for the v8 "kick"

"by my deeds I honor him. v8"

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 October 2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: PHEV
Old 28 October 2016, 08:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenslade
Some of the Teslas are stunning yeah, but you'd need another mortgage to buy one.
but I suspect the price will come down

it always does
Old 28 October 2016, 08:51 PM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Its the future though. Embrace it. I would give me let nut for a P100D personally.
Old 29 October 2016, 10:55 AM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See this going about edinburgh all the time
Old 29 October 2016, 10:56 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 29 October 2016, 06:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gary77

See this going about edinburgh all the time

These are an exception to electric cars as they go well but are priced high . I was hassling one in my van and he put his foot down and it accelerated quite well but you pay a premium for this.
Old 30 October 2016, 12:30 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Saw one in the services, looked nice, but was dirty and looked stone chipped, not well looked after. But wouldn't be interested in one, need some noise.
Old 30 October 2016, 11:30 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
These are an exception to electric cars as they go well but are priced high . I was hassling one in my van and he put his foot down and it accelerated quite well but you pay a premium for this.
Don't forget these.

Old 30 October 2016, 09:03 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

What the hell is that and it's obviously over priced
Old 30 October 2016, 10:14 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Tesla roadster.

Electric cars are awesome. Cheap and awesome. Allowed me to get my Impreza.
Old 30 October 2016, 10:31 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
What the hell is that and it's obviously over priced
As DBlock said, it's a Tesla Roadster. Or in other words an electrified Lotus Elise. According to Wikipedia the retailed at £87k in this country, so not bad compared to the I8.
Old 30 October 2016, 11:47 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Snore boxes ...pretty much all hybrids and pure electric. Leafs, outlander PHEV, Prius etc embodies everything that is wrong with cars in general from a car enthusiast's point of view.
I disagree, maybe because I'm getting old but a while ago I used to commute about 1000miles a week in a Lupo tdi lol. Yeah it's terrible etc etc but it was comfortable and cheap to run. Currently I only do 300+miles a week. I'm not paid great but it's cool. The leaf and now van is free to charge up and drive, free road tax and insurance is reasonable.

Yes they aren't hardcore racecar but sometimes when I've finished work I'm tired and just want to get home. If I commuted in my Impreza I'd be broke and would have to sell it. Plus you can have a more "hardcore" weekend car and take it easy in your EV.