Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

thinking of selling wrx wagon for bmw e60 530i

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2016, 10:56 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default thinking of selling wrx wagon for bmw e60 530i

in an ideal world i would keep scooby but im seriously thinking of selling and getting an 04 e60 530i.
pros for keeping scooby is that ive spent money on getting everything sorted.new turbo,decat remap,re con gearbox etc etc,its fun and engaging to drive,sometimes i like the noise,sometimes i dont. its a wagon.
cons at moment are that im now 41 and feel its uncomfortable for me as im 6ft 1 and 17 stone.cant seem to get seat as far back as id like.its actually not that big in the back and i have to push passenger seat right forward for my 18mnth old in his car seat.
im feeling i want to drive around relaxed rather than fairly noisily and uncomfortable.
my problem is mainly regret seeeing it go and wishing i hadnt sold it because if i want another ill go through the same process of decat,map etc etc.
also will i want to keep the bmw?
had bmws years ago with e36 323 and 320 and 1 525 touring e34?
anyone else done this change from subaru to bmw?
opinions needed.
its a 2nd car as i have a work car that gets dirty [im a carpenter] so this will be for weekends.
i also feel a bit selfish as the missus doesnt really want to come out in the noisy turbo nutter car with the kids etc.
hmmmmm????
Old 12 September 2016, 05:55 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just sold my WRX Wagon and can honestly say I don't miss it, well maybe just a little bit when it comes to overtaking as my mk1 Golf isn't quite as urgent but I do actually like it more.

Sounds like you have the right sort of reasons for changing but they are not your reasons, they belong to other people, I got rid of my wagon because I wanted to, not for anyone else.

I'd be very careful with BMW, make sure you do your research and buy a good one, as in my experience they make Subarus look cheap to run.

Have you considered a Legacy.
Old 12 September 2016, 07:54 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the E61 540i. V8 engine. You'll be sure not to miss your wagon then .
Old 12 September 2016, 08:45 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

bmw's are ridiculous cost wise. Servicing day to day driving. I'd look at something else
Old 12 September 2016, 08:59 AM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Hmmm,yeah I hear what your saying about cost,but I can do a fair bit myself.
I've done everything to the scooby from changing the turbo to spark plugs.
I'm just feeling a bit old for the wagon and also like I said it's not very comfortable for a big bloke.
Its also just a little bit of boredom, I've been driving 23 years and have had about 20 different cars I reckon.
My bmw history has been 320 k reg m50 engine which was absolutely solid,iron block.didnt use oil or water,only thing I had to do on that was belt pulley/tensioner at the front.
323 wagon which had m52 engine ally block.head gasket went and I lost money big time.
Then had a 94 525 estate that cost me nothing to fix or repair but cost me 50p a mile to run.
I've had a couple of audis a long time ago and just found them boring and pretty gutless engine wise.
Only thing that worries me about bmw is auto gearbox.
Old 12 September 2016, 09:10 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

i see your point mate. You need to do what's comfortable for yourself. Jap's will always be cheaper to run but it's all about what you want mate really.
Old 13 September 2016, 12:45 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Actually forgot about legacys, if I had one though it would have to be a jdm one, there's a few 05/06 twin scroll ones on eBay.
Are they any more comfortable than the impreza?
Also are they worth the 7 to 9k they command?
Old 13 September 2016, 03:09 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the flip side to the expenses argument, I had an E60 530i M Sport for 3 years and 50k miles. Bought it for 7.5k in July 2012, traded it in to BMW for a F11 530D M Sport Tourer in August 2015 for 3k. Could maybe have got 4k selling privately but needed a service and two new tyres and couldn't be bothered with the hassle for maybe 2-300 quid more.

It lost 4.5k in 3 years and cost me nothing more than servicing and one set of tyres all round. Servicing was done by a local independent and was very reasonable in my opinion, around 600 quid I think over the 3 years/50k miles.

I can't think of much nicer ways to cruise around for the money myself. My new (to me) one is 4 years old now, had it for just over a year and around 17k miles, and it's cost me a set of rear tyres about a month ago and rear brake pad service at 98 quid.

Maybe I've been lucky but I honestly don't think the 5 series is that expensive to run, or at least I haven't found it to be.
Old 21 September 2016, 08:01 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy
anyone else done this change from subaru to bmw?
opinions needed.
Traded the STi in 6 months ago for a 530d M-Sport, totally different animals, BMW much quieter, more refined and can still shift (368lb ft torque) when required.
Bit of a lard **** in the bends, Scoob would muller it hands down.

Still miss the STi, but really don't miss the image that they have and the way every wannabe racer in a Focus ST, Astra VXR etc. want's to take you on.

As for running costs, get around 33mpg mixed driving and 40+ on motorways - something only RS_matt can get in a Scoob.
Old 21 September 2016, 08:08 PM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Must admit! Luckily I haven't come across anyone who's wanted a race yet!!! Mined you I only do probably 15miles a day. I generally ignore the boy racers though
Old 21 September 2016, 09:09 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

well ive still got the scoob. i havent driven a bmw for years now so not even sure wether id actually prefer it.
ive cleaned the interior and have been enjoying it a bit more,would definetly miss the 4 wheel drive and boost.
ive also been looking at jdm legacys but in all honesty i think im gonna just keep driving the wagon for at least another year.
if i look back at my car history i think its just down to being bored with my current car and it gives me something to do,looking at cars!
but ive virtually changed everything for new and spent a fair amount of money getting the subaru where it is that i should just drive it.
cambelt and water pump
fuel pump
3 port solenoid
full milltek decat
rebuilt turbo
recon gearbox
good quality oils
lots of expensive nuts bolts and gaskets.

just wish it was slightly longer!

out of interest,what are the most comfortable fitting seats that were made that could fit my car?
Old 27 September 2016, 10:37 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I used to knock about in a 2004 E60 530i for a while (auto), and SERIOUSLY don't go there.

It had had the cooling system replaced recently (receipts for 1k+ from a dealer), and it STILL needed a new thermostat housing, because it started leaking. The expansion tank weeped underneath _again_.

It also leaked oil from all the oil filter housing, sump, and the valve cover gasket.

It was shockingly bad on fuel (~12mpg around town).

This was a car with near enough full main dealer service history, btw, at 114k miles.

The only thing it was any good at was motorway cruising, and the seats werent uncomfortable. Totally boring even though it was rear wheel drive.

I'd rather drive about in a Fiat Multipla than another 530. I get angry just thinking about it.
Old 27 September 2016, 11:37 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
I used to knock about in a 2004 E60 530i for a while (auto), and SERIOUSLY don't go there.

It had had the cooling system replaced recently (receipts for 1k+ from a dealer), and it STILL needed a new thermostat housing, because it started leaking. The expansion tank weeped underneath _again_.

It also leaked oil from all the oil filter housing, sump, and the valve cover gasket.

It was shockingly bad on fuel (~12mpg around town).

This was a car with near enough full main dealer service history, btw, at 114k miles.

The only thing it was any good at was motorway cruising, and the seats werent uncomfortable. Totally boring even though it was rear wheel drive.

I'd rather drive about in a Fiat Multipla than another 530. I get angry just thinking about it.
Yes I did read your thread.
I actually went to view the car I was looking at on Sunday and went out as a passenger in it.
I can tell it was definitely a boring drive though. And I didn't buy it.
It also had the run flats on.
It's just so much car for the money. It was a black one with full history and only 78k on it.
Interior looked hardly used and exterior was nigh on perfect too.
I'm now maybe looking at either importing a jdm legacy spec b or buying an e39 for cheap and keeping the impreza.
Just miss that comfortable barge driving.
How's the Evo?still got it?
Old 28 September 2016, 01:36 AM
evos
Scooby Regular

Ha.. am looking out of ownership of a 2007 530d lci msport for a sti type r version 6.. how life changes... that's mad and I've the car 3years and it's probably the best car I've ever had and I've had evos and bms just thought ad go back to the darkside for a while.. don't believe all the bad story's on bms there not all that bad it's just down to its owner and how well maintained it has been mine got anything it needed.. it's a great big car it's just time for a change..
Old 28 September 2016, 06:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the e60 lci 530d and with a remap its a nippy car and fuel economy is fantastic. They ae a big barge and the handling was a little bad until I changed the anti roll bars and put some nice wide 19" wheels on
Old 29 September 2016, 03:43 AM
evos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I have the e60 lci 530d and with a remap its a nippy car and fuel economy is fantastic. They ae a big barge and the handling was a little bad until I changed the anti roll bars and put some nice wide 19" wheels on
Yea there a great car I just want a change not sure if am even making the right decision am still looking at evos or sti type r version 6but anything I see is on the other side of the earth lol
Old 11 October 2016, 12:16 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Anymore thoughts on this, D-day on Thursday for me when someone is coming to collect the wagon.
I'm still looking at bmws but just really don't want to miss the subaru.
Boo hoo.
Old 11 October 2016, 02:43 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went Hawkeye STI -> E46 330cd -> E60 535d -> Blobeye WRX Wagon as I just couldn't get what I wanted/needed out of a diesel BMW. We have run a petrol 330i alongside our 62 plate STI and that got sold for a Blob STI so make of that what you will

I have a project M3 Evolution so don't think I'm not a fan, it's just that outside of the M cars they are pretty boring.
Old 12 October 2016, 10:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy
Yes I did read your thread.
I actually went to view the car I was looking at on Sunday and went out as a passenger in it.
I can tell it was definitely a boring drive though. And I didn't buy it.
It also had the run flats on.
It's just so much car for the money. It was a black one with full history and only 78k on it.
Interior looked hardly used and exterior was nigh on perfect too.
I'm now maybe looking at either importing a jdm legacy spec b or buying an e39 for cheap and keeping the impreza.
Just miss that comfortable barge driving.
How's the Evo?still got it?
Sold the evo at the beginning of school holidays. It was great car, but I just wasn't really "feeling it" tbh. Now rebuilding the scooby engine...