Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2016, 06:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Tesla Model S

I have to admit, sometimes we get some nice metal in at work, this time it was a Tesla. Been seeing a few of these driving around recently. Very understated from the outside and easily missed of course I had to take a closer look...

Have to say I'm impressed, although with what they cost it bloody well should be. Love the interior. Huge boot (front and rear).

Some niggles with typical American chrome plated plastics and the driver's door dropped so the panels don't align, but given this is such a new company and for them to make something without resorting to pilfering out of other manufacturer's parts bins (like Aston Martin used to do).

Underneath is like a lotus Exige; totally flat. Front suspension looks like the typical ZF-Lemförder affair as found on F10 BMWs, Mercs and Jags (why do all the big manuafcturers have identical suspension deisgns these days? ).

Ok I only drove it 50yards to park it up but wow, its weird. This is a car that can match my Golf's 0-60 and makes zero noise. the automation of the door locks and ignition is superb, no messing with buttons, handbrakes, keys etc - just open the door and put it in D and drive it! If they can make more electric cars like this that are affordable and go a bit further, then this is the future.

Meanwhile I serviced a Auris Hybrid and was quickly shown exactly what electric cars should NOT be. Horrible, dull to sit in, dull to look at, dull to drive, and pointless too. Can't plug it in, and it has a small boot.

Ban hybrids that can't be driven for more than 50miles without resorting to firing up the engine (or a few hundred yards for the Auris), or at least the tax incentives. Yesterday's tech.
Old 24 August 2016, 07:31 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

They don't interest me from a motoring perspective in their current form. But from a business and technology perspective, it's absolutely amazing what Elon Musk has achieved.

He reminds me of another Steve Jobs type guy.
Old 24 August 2016, 07:37 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I have to admit, sometimes we get some nice metal in at work, this time it was a Tesla. Been seeing a few of these driving around recently. Very understated from the outside and easily missed of course I had to take a closer look...

Have to say I'm impressed, although with what they cost it bloody well should be. Love the interior. Huge boot (front and rear).

Some niggles with typical American chrome plated plastics and the driver's door dropped so the panels don't align, but given this is such a new company and for them to make something without resorting to pilfering out of other manufacturer's parts bins (like Aston Martin used to do).

Underneath is like a lotus Exige; totally flat. Front suspension looks like the typical ZF-Lemförder affair as found on F10 BMWs, Mercs and Jags (why do all the big manuafcturers have identical suspension deisgns these days? ).

Ok I only drove it 50yards to park it up but wow, its weird. This is a car that can match my Golf's 0-60 and makes zero noise. the automation of the door locks and ignition is superb, no messing with buttons, handbrakes, keys etc - just open the door and put it in D and drive it! If they can make more electric cars like this that are affordable and go a bit further, then this is the future.

Meanwhile I serviced a Auris Hybrid and was quickly shown exactly what electric cars should NOT be. Horrible, dull to sit in, dull to look at, dull to drive, and pointless too. Can't plug it in, and it has a small boot.

Ban hybrids that can't be driven for more than 50miles without resorting to firing up the engine (or a few hundred yards for the Auris), or at least the tax incentives. Yesterday's tech.
P90d model s

My uncle has one.

Its the fastest thing i have ever driven.

Have a good vid of it launching on facebook.

Old 24 August 2016, 09:11 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd have a Tesla Roadster at the drop of a hat.

That looks like a bit of a Ford Mundano to me though :-(

Brilliant technology.Just need to make them look nice.lol
Old 24 August 2016, 10:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know if it was S model but had to take closer look at what thought maybe Jaguar or Maserati , turned out be a Tesla in black . This was on quayside in Dieppe
Old 24 August 2016, 10:10 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must have a fast golf if it can hit 60 in the 2's
Old 24 August 2016, 11:03 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
You must have a fast golf if it can hit 60 in the 2's
Was thinking that myself, I watched one of these make a new shape Audi RS3 look like he left the handbrake on, these are Supercar quick upto 100mph!!
Old 24 August 2016, 11:16 PM
Henrik Sommer
Scooby Newbie

This is a car that can match my Golf's 0-60 and makes zero noise. .
Thats one fast Golf :-O
the P90D, does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds in ludicrous mode

Last edited by Henrik Sommer; 24 August 2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 25 August 2016, 12:02 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Shaun
They don't interest me from a motoring perspective in their current form. But from a business and technology perspective, it's absolutely amazing what Elon Musk has achieved.

He reminds me of another Steve Jobs type guy.
I like Musk's vision of a whole city/country wide energy solution, where car manufacturers just generally focus on the car bit. The solarcity combined with his powerwall technologies makes electric cars feasible and importantly a genuine nod to reducing pollution when using cars (maybe not for production though). Hes one of the few to acknowledge that a electric car powered via the electricity grid, of which is partly fossil fueled is not only inefficient, but polluting in itself.

If we can generate and store our own power at home or work for when we need to use it would make arguments for building more power stations like Hinkley null and void.

His "gigafactories" are something we haven't seen on this scale in the western world for a long time, and its good as we need someone to out produce China, which if anyone noticed is hoarding precious metals used for battery production purely in order to capture the market and control prices. Musk has a fight on his hands with the Chinese, I hope he wins.

Originally Posted by Henrik Sommer
Thats one fast Golf :-O
the P90D, does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds in ludicrous mode
The one we had in was a 70D (which IIRC stands for a 70KWh battery pack and AWD) which is slower than SmurfyBhoy's P90D. Its 0-60 is 5.2 seconds. Golf "officially" is 6 seconds, its a tad quicker than that though, its not 5.2 though.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 August 2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 25 August 2016, 12:42 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I like Musk's vision of a whole city/country wide energy solution, where car manufacturers just generally focus on the car bit. The solarcity combined with his powerwall technologies makes electric cars feasible and importantly a genuine nod to reducing pollution when using cars (maybe not for production though). Hes one of the few to acknowledge that a electric car powered via the electricity grid, of which is partly fossil fueled is not only inefficient, but polluting in itself.

If we can generate and store our own power at home or work for when we need to use it would make arguments for building more power stations like Hinkley null and void.

His "gigafactories" are something we haven't seen on this scale in the western world for a long time, and its good as we need someone to out produce China, which if anyone noticed is hoarding precious metals used for battery production purely in order to capture the market and control prices. Musk has a fight on his hands with the Chinese, I hope he wins.

The one we had in was a 70D (which IIRC stands for a 70KWh battery pack and AWD) which is slower than SmurfyBhoy's P90D. Its 0-60 is 5.2 seconds. Golf "officially" is 6 seconds, its a tad quicker than that though, its not 5.2 though.
But he is just using Panasonic batteries built "in house"
Old 25 August 2016, 03:36 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

How many cars in the real world is he going to produce percentage wise

They're pretty dear
Old 25 August 2016, 07:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And aren't the battery packs going to be fekked after five years, with a renewal at £10,000?
Old 25 August 2016, 08:00 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Do they really drop 40k in first year ownership
Old 25 August 2016, 08:37 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Honestly the fastest car I have been in, the instant acceleration has to be felt to be properly understood.

However from 90mph onwards i would say my 400bhp sti feels just as quick,

Couldn't get more than 130mph out it maybe 140 max.

Tesla recently announced P100d which is a better batterey that can be retrofitted for £10k ish,

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-a...upgrades/34845
Old 25 August 2016, 11:56 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

No it wouldn't. You'd never get the required uptake and even if you did, you'd never be able to store enough energy to do away with big powerstations.
Old 25 August 2016, 12:10 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

I read if everyone used Teslas and went home and plugged in the national grid would **** it's pants
Old 25 August 2016, 12:23 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
I read if everyone used Teslas and went home and plugged in the national grid would **** it's pants
Well the RAC reckon there are 30 million drivers in the UK, so assuming everyone has a car you're looking at 330GW to charge them all with the internal charger on a model S. Given the current grid capacity stands at 80GW, **** itself is an understatement
Old 25 August 2016, 06:35 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't really get the looks myself, almost look like a concept car from the 80's.

Looks really dated already.

The one they had on top gear was quite amusing, was a little car though.

Still, bit of an odd one for me. If you've got all that money and are a petrolhead and want a fast car, would you buy a car that looked like that? Then if you were a green tree hugger with loads of money, why would you want a car that does 0-60 in 2.6 secs? Surely that type of person caring about the planet would rather have a 500 mile battery range than performance? At the end of the day an electric car that goes like a scalded cat is going to need more charging.
Old 25 August 2016, 07:24 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I don't really get the looks myself, almost look like a concept car from the 80's.

Still, bit of an odd one for me. If you've got all that money and are a petrol head and want a fast car, would you buy a car that looked like that? Then if you were a green tree hugger with loads of money, why would you want a car that does 0-60 in 2.6 secs? Surely that type of person caring about the planet would rather have a 500 mile battery range than performance? At the end of the day an electric car that goes like a scalded cat is going to need more charging.
What did people make of the Ford Model T in the day . . . . . . .

We are in the infancy of this era of Technology,
It will go that way, so we have to try and embrace.
Old 26 August 2016, 08:25 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Still, bit of an odd one for me. If you've got all that money and are a petrolhead and want a fast car, would you buy a car that looked like that? Then if you were a green tree hugger with loads of money, why would you want a car that does 0-60 in 2.6 secs? Surely that type of person caring about the planet would rather have a 500 mile battery range than performance? At the end of the day an electric car that goes like a scalded cat is going to need more charging.
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Personally I quite like the idea of the model S, you won't find many luxury saloons that quick that can offer the same economy/green factor.
Old 26 August 2016, 08:42 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I suppose it probably makes more sense to build the image from the top down rather than bottom up . If it can match super car and take the family then why not
Old 06 October 2016, 07:37 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
I'd have a Tesla Roadster at the drop of a hat.

That looks like a bit of a Ford Mundano to me though :-(

Brilliant technology.Just need to make them look nice.lol

I think they look more Maserati than Ford. I pass a black one every day, it is a real looker.

Last edited by SRSport; 06 October 2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09 October 2016, 10:08 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I know someone who has just ordered the P100D. Delivery is due in Feb 17. I'm gonna grab the keys if I can and ram it down Santa Pod!!!
Old 10 December 2016, 09:45 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Anyone know what work needs done on a Tesla as a service? it has a very low number of moving parts compared with petrol or derv motors, presumably regenerative braking would mean even the pads and discs would last significantly longer than on a hydrocarbon fuelled equivalent.

Has anyone worked out the TCO comparison between the model S and an equivilant other marque?
Old 11 December 2016, 02:07 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Ehh? The Model S does have this new fangled thing must only be found on electric cars called an accelerator pedal. The p100D or even the p90d has 100 or 90kwh batteries. Say your getting 3 miles per kwh then that's 300 miles. Plus I don't have a tesla but ride in a leaf or a zoe. Nicer than an s class or 7series.
Old 11 December 2016, 09:31 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Anyone know what work needs done on a Tesla as a service? it has a very low number of moving parts compared with petrol or derv motors, presumably regenerative braking would mean even the pads and discs would last significantly longer than on a hydrocarbon fuelled equivalent.

Has anyone worked out the TCO comparison between the model S and an equivilant other marque?
Don't ask

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/service-plans
Old 11 December 2016, 03:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Plus I don't have a tesla but ride in a leaf or a zoe. Nicer than an s class or 7series
No, just, no.
Old 11 December 2016, 04:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thought it sounded unlikely !
Old 12 December 2016, 12:06 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
I think they look more Maserati
Absolutely

The new Mondeo looks like an Aston Mondeo
Old 15 December 2016, 12:22 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

No, just, no.
Seriously, if you haven't tried it you can't say no. Have you driven something electric before?

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S