Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A45 owners: show us your rides!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2015, 09:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC75
Definitely on the wrong forum... How old are you Ffs!
49 why? Is that not old enough to realise how stupid your post sounds?

Very high speeds.... but not exceeding 70mph
Old 06 May 2015, 05:50 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So all the figures used in current circulation for the WR1 are untrue?

The same could be said for the AMG?

I was in the car and behind was another car, he came up my **** pretty quickly, I had no idea what he wanted at the time, did he want to say hello? no idea? I pressed the go pedal thats it, we preceeded at very high speeds, not exceeding the 70mph limit though..... at know time could this other driver pull out and pass, leaving me for dead as suggested in a previous post? the road was two lanes with plenty of oppotunity to pass? did i dream this, will i wake up one day, who knows enough said
In a word Yes, it's quite well known that they were a "slight exaggeration" at the time and no one has ever managed to repeat them, which is something the A45 has no problem doing over and over again no matter who's behind the wheel, mostly due to electronic jiggery pokery, STI's are known to be a little tricky to get off the line cleanly time after time.

That said we're all grown ups here and realise that out in the real world it's very hard to translate 1 or 2 second 0-60 / 0-100 advantages into an *** whooping, if you read back through the thread there are people on here with 600 bhp vehicles that will admit that under certain conditions much lesser powered vehicles can and do perform better.

Power is only one aspect of the "whole package" In some instances it can be a dis-advantage, translating it into forward motion is not quite as simple as stabbing the loud pedal with your right foot, looks good on paper and sounds great down the pub though.

P.S; Don't let the lads get to you, it's all banter but if you wander about the place throwing out insults expect a few back.

And Welcome.
Old 06 May 2015, 07:13 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106

Got to love SN - boyz arguing about whose 4 pot is best.
Newbie turns up giving it large then Mattee returns and it all kicks off....
A bit like a virtual version of a Macdonalds car park
Old 06 May 2015, 07:20 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun
GMC75,
I have been a die hard Scooby nut. Just to put that in to context I used to co-own this very site and have owned a few Subaru's over the past 15yrs... with the last two being pretty well known within this community (full project threads are available to read) in respect of their performance levels. I'm only stating this to show some meaningful context to what I'm about to say.

There is no dispute (I suspect) that the Newage STI is a great performer and without doubt, is a mega bang for your buck. Previous to the A45 I owned a 500bhp JDM Hawkeye (2ltr) and previous to that, a 600+bhp JDM SPEC C. I have first hand experience of what these cars are capable of, both on the road and in competitive events.

I genuinely love STI's.

Whilst you may not agree, imo my A45 is leagues ahead (in many ways) than any of my previous Subaru's have been, in respect of usable performance on UK roads. On a track, things may be different (I would expect them to be).

Granted, my A45 is running just over 400 of each, but it's B road agility and sheer performance blows my previous STi's. The STi requires you to work much harder, to cover the same ground.... the A45 is more competent as a road car imo.

Many elements of my A45 on paper are so much better. The gearbox is quicker, the transmission doesn't consume as much torque (more power to the tarmac), the brakes are better..... the powerband is far better.

Looking at in-gear, through gear and standing start times, my A45 has performed (using Raeclogic VBOX timing equipment, with results which have been documented publicly) like this:

0-60mph in 3.7s (separate run to below figures, which was terminated at 70mph)
0-100mph in 8.75s (this was achieved on a 4.1s to 60 run - poor grip)
60-100mph in 4.65s
1/4m in 12.35 @ 116mph (this was achieved on a 4.1s to 60 run - poor grip)

I would expect the 0-100 and 1/4m times above to fall slightly, if hooked up with a decent 0-60 (as per the 3.7s achieved) conditions.

The 1/4m run above was with a gash 60ft time of 2.16s!!! That sort of indicates what this level of tune could be capable of, under the right conditions. The norm for the 45 is around 1.7-1.8 to 60ft, assuming good conditions. The 3.7s to 60mph was with much better grip, and I'm assuming the 60ft was around 1.7s on that occasion. Again, this alludes to a possible 0-100mph in 8.35 and 1/4m in 11.95s, under decent conditions.

The 60-100mph time shows the cars in-gear performance, when traction is of no concern. That is a very quick time.

The major benefit of a set-up like the A45, is that times (influenced by conditions) are repeatable time after time.

I would be genuinely interested in hearing the performance of your car, under the same disciplines. Verified VBOX data of course. (or drag tickets from Santa Pod or similar).

Straight line performance is one thing. I'm more interested in performance and agility on a challenging B road. IMO my A45 is measurable quicker and safer than my previous Scoobs in this discipline. Something I didn't think I would say if I'm being honest.

As an A to B muncher it is extremely competent.

Is it £38k worth? That is always going to be subjective, but as a total package for me, it is. It has got me back into driving for fun again.... which for me is priceless.

It does everything I want of it, with no quibble.
looking at your 1/4 mile Johns S8 is better
Old 06 May 2015, 07:35 AM
GMC75
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by f1_fan
49 why? Is that not old enough to realise how stupid your post sounds?

Very high speeds.... but not exceeding 70mph
What's stupid about the post? So I suppose being 48 myself and you being of senior years at a mere 49 have not indulged in some spirited driving
Old 06 May 2015, 07:46 AM
GMC75
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
In a word Yes, it's quite well known that they were a "slight exaggeration" at the time and no one has ever managed to repeat them, which is something the A45 has no problem doing over and over again no matter who's behind the wheel, mostly due to electronic jiggery pokery, STI's are known to be a little tricky to get off the line cleanly time after time.

That said we're all grown ups here and realise that out in the real world it's very hard to translate 1 or 2 second 0-60 / 0-100 advantages into an *** whooping, if you read back through the thread there are people on here with 600 bhp vehicles that will admit that under certain conditions much lesser powered vehicles can and do perform better.

Power is only one aspect of the "whole package" In some instances it can be a dis-advantage, translating it into forward motion is not quite as simple as stabbing the loud pedal with your right foot, looks good on paper and sounds great down the pub though.

P.S; Don't let the lads get to you, it's all banter but if you wander about the place throwing out insults expect a few back.

And Welcome.
Agree, and thanks for the welcome
Old 06 May 2015, 08:48 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alanbell
Figures quoted for the A45 tuned are similar to S8 standard. Of course the A45 would leave it for dust in the Twisties(TM). However, the S8 doesn't seem to understeer under power as it puts at least 60% of the power to the back and overdrives the outside rear wheel with the sport diff I think you also have and has a more even front:rear weight distribution than the A45 if that actually matters. I don't think I'd enjoy an A class based car though 99% of the time.

Last edited by john banks; 06 May 2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06 May 2015, 08:50 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

What's stupid about the post? So I suppose being 48 myself and you being of senior years at a mere 49 have not indulged in some spirited driving
The post reads like some road racing story from an excited teenager and then you remembered the speed limit so threw that in as well. It's laughable. As for whether I indulge in spirited driving or not is not for discussion and if I ever did indulge in such I would not be so crass as to boast about it on the Internet.

Anyway aside from that show me these published 10.5s 0-100mph figure for your WR1. Tested it only ever managed about 12.5 and I have never seen a 10.5s claimed even by Subaru.

Oh and then read Shaun's post. He is a massive Subaru fan and if he reckons the A45 is much quicker point to point then I would listen if I were you.

As he said the AMG is the car Subaru should be building now! Your WR1 is a great car, but much like my AMG it is yesterday's tech. Ten years is a long time in the automotive world these days and things are moving at a pace!

All that being said welcome to the forum and please know I am not slagging your car off, just don't make claims that are too wild

Last edited by f1_fan; 06 May 2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06 May 2015, 09:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think this thing must be the new impreza ...

Was on the bike yesterday , went past an Un barryed example of the model and I swear I wouldn't have been able to tell it from 15 other Japanese/other hatchbacks
Old 06 May 2015, 10:05 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I think this thing must be the new impreza ...

Was on the bike yesterday , went past an Un barryed example of the model and I swear I wouldn't have been able to tell it from 15 other Japanese/other hatchbacks
So what? Some people don't need to say 'Look at me I'm in AMG'. No AMG badges on my car either!
Old 06 May 2015, 10:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't mean the badge , I meant all the go faster body attachments / gold wheels
Old 06 May 2015, 10:56 AM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I can honestly say i got bored of this thread about 3 pages back
Old 06 May 2015, 01:07 PM
GMC75
Scooby Newbie

The post reads like some road racing story from an excited teenager and then you remembered the speed limit so threw that in as well. It's laughable. As for whether I indulge in spirited driving or not is not for discussion and if I ever did indulge in such I would not be so crass as to boast about it on the Internet.

Anyway aside from that show me these published 10.5s 0-100mph figure for your WR1. Tested it only ever managed about 12.5 and I have never seen a 10.5s claimed even by Subaru.

All that being said welcome to the forum and please know I am not slagging your car off, just don't make claims that are too wild
And many more like this on the internet....the figures for the WR1 so not making claims that are to wild.

And this one from Subaru Media...

http://www.subarumedia.co.uk/release/251/#

These figures could be a missprint though?

Last edited by GMC75; 06 May 2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06 May 2015, 01:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theboy
I can honestly say i got bored of this thread about 3 pages back

But you then posted on it. You couldn't have been that bored?
Old 06 May 2015, 01:50 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

And many more like this on the internet....the figures for the WR1 so not making claims that are to wild.

No that's cool, I wasn't being disingenuous as i genuinely had never seen Subaru claim a 10.67 to 100mph. The figures do seem a bit at odds though as even in that article they point out that a 305PS STI PPP will get to 100 in 12.2 and yet they expect us tot believe it will be 10.67 with and extra 15PS.

Anyway as I said it doesn't matter, the WR1 is still a great car and apologies if we got off on the wrong foot.
Old 06 May 2015, 03:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

You should see Evo's figures for Imprezas - all over the place! Same with many other cars.
Old 06 May 2015, 03:56 PM
GMC75
Scooby Newbie

No that's cool, I wasn't being disingenuous as i genuinely had never seen Subaru claim a 10.67 to 100mph. The figures do seem a bit at odds though as even in that article they point out that a 305PS STI PPP will get to 100 in 12.2 and yet they expect us tot believe it will be 10.67 with and extra 15PS.

Anyway as I said it doesn't matter, the WR1 is still a great car and apologies if we got off on the wrong foot.
I think we got on the right foot... but wrong direction

The Merc is a good looking car. nice discreet package. I do like the C Class though, which would be my choice.
Old 06 May 2015, 08:50 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink

Matt, does your commute take in the Nurburgring? You seem to have a lot of tussles with other machinery. In 21 years of driving performance cars I don't think I've seen as much action as you have since owning your 1 series

Am I the only one that finds a lot of this thread a bit cringey? I can almost see the more mature kids on the Vauxhall Corsa forum poking fun at it all.

Anyway, I'd smoke all this modern, over assisted, common as muck, generic looking machinery in my old V6 STI.
Old 06 May 2015, 11:33 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

No those figures are not a misprint.... but are the figures supplied by Prodrive and not Subaru. It's not important who provides or quotes them... whether WE can achieve them surely is though. As has been suggested, repeating these claimed figures has appeared to not be the case.

Subaru's are notoriously difficult to launch correctly..... although you may find it hard to believe, but the less power, the easier they are to launch.

If I remember correctly when my SPEC C (that weighed considerably less than the WR1) was running around 370bhp, myself and a fellow magazine writer failed to get below around 4.2s to 60mph, when we were testing the SPEC C at Bruntingthorpe. Taking in to account that I could consistently achieve 1.6s to 60ft, shows there was nothing wrong with my launches.

Kind of makes you raise an eyebrow then at the Prodrive WR1 figures. Less power and more weight!

Go figure.
Old 06 May 2015, 11:36 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alanbell

John's is modded (it's got like nearly double the BHP than a standard A45 - but doesn't weigh twice as much, so hardly surprising lol), but even though his times are pretty awesome. Still need to take one for a drive.
Old 06 May 2015, 11:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by john banks
Figures quoted for the A45 tuned are similar to S8 standard. Of course the A45 would leave it for dust in the Twisties(TM). However, the S8 doesn't seem to understeer under power as it puts at least 60% of the power to the back and overdrives the outside rear wheel with the sport diff I think you also have and has a more even front:rear weight distribution than the A45 if that actually matters. I don't think I'd enjoy an A class based car though 99% of the time.

John - You would hate the A45. You past this chav stage years ago!
Old 07 May 2015, 08:09 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Also to put Shaun's real world 8.75s 0 -100mph figure into context... that's as quick as a Porsche GT3 .... from a 2l hatchback
Old 07 May 2015, 08:59 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

here this is rebellions quotes, i know Number **** but for all interested

Stage 1 V2 £739GBP Delivered via DHL Express

This is a plug and play system that is installed in approx 15 minutes by a first time user (full instructions provided)

We can ship this world wide and will fit all 45 AMG Cars

The system is tuned to smooth out power delivery and removes flat spots. No trace is left on the car when the system is unplugged making it easy to unplug for visits to the Dealer

Power gains are approx 60BHP and 120nm which results in the cars generally producing 420BHP and 570nm

0-60mph - 3.7 Seconds
0-100mph - 8.7 Seconds

STAGE 2
Stage 2 £1999GBP plus Tax and shipping

This is a plug and play system that is installed in approx 15 minutes by a first time user (full instructions provided) In addition to this we use a Specifically researched and developed 4 Inch Downpipe and 4 Inch Intake System.

Power gains are approx 77BHP and 160nm which results in the cars generally producing 457BHP and 610nm (see DYNO plot)

0-60mph - 3.7 Seconds
0-100mh - 8.0 Seconds
0-124mph - 12.6 Seconds

pretty quick.

RENNTEchs stage 2 also...
Modifications:

Upgraded Turbo

ECU remap (torque is limited to 555Nm)

STOCK INTAKE AND STOCK EXHAUST !!!

- 98 RON / 93 AKI fuel

- ECE / EWG corrected engine results on SuperFlow dyno, same car, same dyno, same fuel

- WHP is the measured / not corrected value

STOCK: 328 AWHP / 374 hp at crank / 442 Nm engine torque

STAGE 1: 361 AWHP / 414 hp at crank / 514 Nm engine torque

STAGE 2: 393 AWHP / 460 hp at crank / 540 Nm engine torque ( officially sold as 455bhp)
Old 07 May 2015, 08:59 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One day I was in a queue of cars at an event. I realised it wasn't concours d'elegance when the gentleman in the vehicle in front started his engine which vibrated my whole vehicle. I think he might have had a problem with his exhaust and it wasn't just me that dropped my salmon and cucumber sandwich. I was surprised at the panel quality on his car, plus he had non original coachwork and stickers! I thought this would be an easy win for me. I ceased peering over my spectacles and the car in front had stickers that didn't read "The car in front is a Toyota", but "garage ****house". Then the marshall started making gyroscopic hand movements from underneath his hoody and the gentleman in front made his automobile tear orf. I think the car was faulty as it didn't seem to drive in a straight line and was smoking. My accomplice told me these people were chavs but they didn't eat me. I don't think they were chavs because they actually seemed to do work. In the paddock area there were gentleman in sportswear, somewhat dirtier than Geoffrey usually sees in Waitrose, but they looked for all the world like mechanics throwing around parts like Phillip the gardener would throw around soil and bulbs. They spoke a strange language.

After a while I was pulled into their intriguing world. I found an old pinafore dress on which the gingham weave was a little stained from when Philip put his muddy trowel down. Now I blend in and am praised by these gentleman if I manage to put my "brain in the glovebox" at these fascinating events. I pretend to work on my own car to avoid being considered a chav and avoid sportswear.
Old 07 May 2015, 09:12 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Just on a side note rebellion quote 610 NM, however Luke at Renntech has mentioned that he limits NM to 540 and will increase to 580 for Track days, but the Gearbox Limitations are known to top off at just below 600...

Unsure how you actually limit NM, i thought it fell in-line with BHP but what do i know lol.
Old 07 May 2015, 09:41 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Littleted
Just on a side note rebellion quote 610 NM, however Luke at Renntech has mentioned that he limits NM to 540 and will increase to 580 for Track days, but the Gearbox Limitations are known to top off at just below 600...

Unsure how you actually limit NM, i thought it fell in-line with BHP but what do i know lol.
What are you actually paying for? Do they send a generic mapped ecu or a piggy back jobbie? Or is it just a simple boost raise and fuel cut defencer?
Old 07 May 2015, 09:51 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

in the initial days its a plug in Box Maz as they had not cracked the ECUs, so yes i just plug it in to 4 sensors and off i go.

The stage 2s as far as i know from RENNtech are proper ECU maps now, Rebellions i think is still the box.

Weistec in the USA and MSL in brum now MAP the ECU direct which i do believe is best, however because the cars expensive having the Plug in box kind of negates the Warranty issue that could be had should MB detect a proper MAP, don't get me wrong though they can also prob detect a box if they wanted to... but so far none have been.

i,ll never go to 460BHP, the cars aggressive enough with the 400+ one. that 460 1 must be mad.
Old 07 May 2015, 09:52 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Littleted

Gearbox limitations are known by whom and how? I've asked this question before on the appropriate forums and never had an answer. Until I get an answer, I'll treat it as waffle and hearsay. However, I do know that the clutch packs can start to slip at over 450 torque. If that's the issue around the limit, that can be fairly easily overcome.

You limit NM by boost and/or ignition. BHP is a result of torque and revs. With revs it's fine to increase BHP, whilst torque reduces. If you have a torque limit though, it will reduce the amount of BHP you can achieve with certain stages of modification. In many ways it means that you can start to hit diminishing returns fairly rapidly.

Assuming the tuners are indeed limiting their stages of tune, anything past a stage 1 is limited in what it can really benefit the customer on the road imo.

Regardless of what companies are quoting, I've never seen any VBOX data in the wild to back-up a 0-100 in 8s from a tuning box, exhaust and inlet. I have however seen a VBOX recorded 7.4s to 100mph (I think it was .4) from an A45 running a MOTEC, but still on standard turbo, exhaust and inlet. This was the car that experienced clutch slip, but with the motec, all torque limiters had been removed.
Old 07 May 2015, 10:42 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Luke knows as far as i know Shaun, if you see his advert its LTD and he did say why in one of the Aclass posts....

luke dos not Waffle....let me see if i can find it
Ive pinged him to ask in more depth.

this was his reply, but how i don't know

Our Stage 2 is a part of our coming "track package", the transmission will not handle more without further modifications.
However, if sold as a "racing product" not covered by our warranty, we can bring the torque up to 585Nm or even more on 102 RON Octane fuel.

Last edited by Littleted; 07 May 2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07 May 2015, 11:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
One day I was in a queue of cars at an event. I realised it wasn't concours d'elegance when the gentleman in the vehicle in front started his engine which vibrated my whole vehicle. I think he might have had a problem with his exhaust and it wasn't just me that dropped my salmon and cucumber sandwich. I was surprised at the panel quality on his car, plus he had non original coachwork and stickers! I thought this would be an easy win for me. I ceased peering over my spectacles and the car in front had stickers that didn't read "The car in front is a Toyota", but "garage ****house". Then the marshall started making gyroscopic hand movements from underneath his hoody and the gentleman in front made his automobile tear orf. I think the car was faulty as it didn't seem to drive in a straight line and was smoking. My accomplice told me these people were chavs but they didn't eat me. I don't think they were chavs because they actually seemed to do work. In the paddock area there were gentleman in sportswear, somewhat dirtier than Geoffrey usually sees in Waitrose, but they looked for all the world like mechanics throwing around parts like Phillip the gardener would throw around soil and bulbs. They spoke a strange language.

After a while I was pulled into their intriguing world. I found an old pinafore dress on which the gingham weave was a little stained from when Philip put his muddy trowel down. Now I blend in and am praised by these gentleman if I manage to put my "brain in the glovebox" at these fascinating events. I pretend to work on my own car to avoid being considered a chav and avoid sportswear.
Well I appreciated that post anyway.

Tuning cars is fine but it rather skews the numbers.
People are getting 430bhp and 520lbs-ft out of M135is with a cat back, JB4 and other light mods. Performance is ballistic but I'd never quote the numbers as a comparison.

Quick Reply: A45 owners: show us your rides!!