STi Cosworth 400

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2014, 03:25 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyw
most of us did not pay 50K, and know they are still going for well over 30k, so i'm not so unhappy. still love the car, especially with the recent seat modifications!, just need to find a solution to the crazy price Cosworth want for some new brake discs...
Cant be as bad as the R205 £1300 or a pair of discs!
Old 21 December 2014, 11:16 AM
MonsterEnergy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Cosworth... except it has had the front struts replaced twice under warranty and they are already knocking like crazy again... so definitely chocolate suspension.
Factory suspension and the 2 replacements haven't even lasted 5000 miles each.
At least Subaru have a solution... replace the struts again!
My solution to installing new struts is a bit different to theirs - I would like to install them up their @r5e!
Old 21 December 2014, 03:30 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I would expect to get totally mullered by a 400 bhp Cosworth.
You would, especially after around 50mph they absolutely fly.

But then again, according to a troll on here his WRX scalped one of them too...

OP, cancel whatever order you've made and get a mapped 2003 WRX you'll be able to rinse Zondas let alone your regular M3s etc.

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 21 December 2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 28 December 2014, 01:24 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by MonsterEnergy
I love my Cosworth... except it has had the front struts replaced twice under warranty and they are already knocking like crazy again... so definitely chocolate suspension.
Factory suspension and the 2 replacements haven't even lasted 5000 miles each.
At least Subaru have a solution... replace the struts again!
My solution to installing new struts is a bit different to theirs - I would like to install them up their @r5e!
What's the issue with the shocks and what did Subaru say?

Do you happen to have the old units or did Subaru keep them to refurbish via Bilstein?

When inverted struts start to knock it's the bushes between the strut housing the stanchion that are worn but this takes 60k+ miles to happen so I can't see how they only last 5k miles.
Old 29 December 2014, 12:54 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
What's the issue with the shocks and what did Subaru say?

Do you happen to have the old units or did Subaru keep them to refurbish via Bilstein?

When inverted struts start to knock it's the bushes between the strut housing the stanchion that are worn but this takes 60k+ miles to happen so I can't see how they only last 5k miles.
I'm not sure but my front and rear shocks have both knocked before arranging to be replaced. Fronts lasted about 6500 miles and the rears around 8000.

It would seem that they wear unusually quickly, as both sets had give in them when the car was up on the ramp.

My front units were refurbished under warranty and my rears are due to be replaced at the beginning of next year.
Old 29 December 2014, 04:47 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
The RS500 isn't all that quick though - and it's FWD.
I'd expect the STI Cossy to annihilate one.
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...cus-rs500.html

Evo mag were very disappointed regarding the Subaru. Sadly can't find the feature but focus walked all over it in the test
Old 29 December 2014, 05:45 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecC_Chris
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...cus-rs500.html

Evo mag were very disappointed regarding the Subaru. Sadly can't find the feature but focus walked all over it in the test
I really couldn't give a toss what a bunch of posh kids running a car magazine in London think about any car, let alone one that I own and am very fond of.
Old 29 December 2014, 05:57 PM
SpecC_Chris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I really couldn't give a toss what a bunch of posh kids running a car magazine in London think about any car, let alone one that I own and am very fond of.
i wasnt having a pop bud! i like them!

Last edited by SpecC_Chris; 29 December 2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 29 December 2014, 06:13 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecC_Chris
i wasnt having a pop bud! i like them!
Sorry if I came across that I was angry with you for it, not at all. With the exception of our limited run of 22Bs, all of our special editions have been quite poor relations to the best JDM cars but the Cosworth changed that. It's got a punch to it that no other "factory" Impreza can offer.

CAR Magazine was quite scathing in its "review" of the car, and Evo decidedly unimpressed. I've also seen a lot of comments on forums and websites from people expressing their opinion on the car, who have never driven one.

I was a little disappointed by the way the majority of testers went about testing it, no quarter mile times and no in gear times or tests.

Autocar hailed it the best Impreza they'd driven since the P1, and Auto Express praised it for being a well sorted machine. They also compared it to some older Imprezas in a video that was probably quite lacking in dynamic testing (all with different drivers) but it did show that the car was quite difficult to get off the line compared to a 22B, which seemed to rocket away. MSN cars gave it five stars, they were very impressed but I have to say I only became aware of MSN cars via a google search for the Cosworth model

I can recall one magazine getting 0-62mph times of 4.6s and 0-100mph of 10.2s but that's as much as it was.

It's got its flaws, it's not perfect for sure. But it's one hell of a road car and one that I find very easy to live with in a variety of different settings.
Old 29 December 2014, 07:25 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Richard... very true.
I'm not bothered what anyone thinks to my 330s.. i like it.. i love it.. and not had any problems with it. I had 6th yr service last week at Europa in Sheffield.. no problems

Andy (Zip) buy a 330s.. you get a dvd player, push button start, keyless entry, heater wiper blade element .. really nice Recaros.... all as standard
then spend on getting 450bhp from it

Merry Christmas
Old 29 December 2014, 07:43 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
Richard... very true.
I'm not bothered what anyone thinks to my 330s.. i like it.. i love it.. and not had any problems with it. I had 6th yr service last week at Europa in Sheffield.. no problems

Andy (Zip) buy a 330s.. you get a dvd player, push button start, keyless entry, heater wiper blade element .. really nice Recaros.... all as standard

Merry Christmas
Too late - I bought another Exige. V6 version this time

Happy New Year
Old 29 December 2014, 08:14 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
buy a 330s.. you get a dvd player, push button start, keyless entry, heater wiper blade element .. really nice Recaros.... all as standard
This was the Cosworth's biggest problem, and still kind of is. These cars are still commanding £30k on the used market, with two or three previous owners and 20k+ on the clock. A regular UK hatch can be found for as little as £8k, and 330s or 2011+ hatches for more.

And of course not everyone likes the hatch - their loss - and prefer the GV saloon.

People looked at the £50k price tag and said to themselves "but I could buy another model and then spend x-amount tuning it and make a better car".

That's all well and great - and even I will be doing a bit of work in the theme of the car come the warranty expiration - but the Cosworth had VAT as part of its price tag and IM themselves had to pay for development and all the costs involved in getting a car to market, plus provide a warranty etc.

I'm amazed they ever made it to be honest, especially on such a small scale.
Old 30 December 2014, 02:59 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure there was that much development in respect of this car. All the engine development had been done years previously. Your engine is the same spec that I had back in 2007, which was put into my Spec C and the same spec (not including the Billet crank) that the Litchfield Time Attack winning car had, which was the same spec that was put in the MKII Type-25's.

It was a no brainer to build a "special" as all the bits (Cosworth complete tall engine etc) were already tried, tested and readily available.
Old 30 December 2014, 11:57 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having been in a CS400 it is a very special car and if I wasn't a JDM ***** I would snap up a CS400. The car is ballistic and refined! For me it is the best UK factory Impreza and you get a lot of car for your money!