Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf R

Old 22 October 2014, 03:06 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf R

If there is an easy way to post pics please let me know and I will stick them up....looks like any other blue golf R though!

Just got my R (company car) which will be used alongside our 335d xdrive

Initial impressions

Looks - some people say it looks bland some say subtle. I like the looks apart from the 4 exhausts and the chrome mirrors. Overall it 'ok'for me.

Interior - it looks decent enough. Some of the switches feel a little cheap for the cost of the car eg indicator stalk. Seats are fine and everything is well laid out

Technology - comes with loads of kit as standard eg adaptive cruise. I've added auto box, nav, reversing camera (it was cheap, not needed really), heated seats and adaptive suspension (not sure if needed or not yet but so far think it probably is)

Handling - the 335d xdrive is average at best for a semi performance car. The Golf is superb....handles really well. Rides the bumps great also on the 18" wheels

Performance - quick. Not sure if it's as quick as the 335d in a straight line but I can believe it's around 5 seconds to 60. Pulls well through the gears and I'm sure it will improve as it runs in

Steering - weights up nicely and is different in the different modes

Niggles - the sound in race mode is **** (in my opinion). Far too loud and I'm going to try to the fake sound turned off. Don't like the black shark fin Aries, would have preferred it colour coded

Economy - too early to say. A quick blast messing around for 30 mins saw an indicated 25mpg. I'm happy if it's that long term.

Got the car for shorter school run type journeys and it feels like it will be great for that. Overall a thumbs up!

Last edited by CupraT; 22 October 2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 22 October 2014, 03:12 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Use Tinypic for uploading photos.
Old 22 October 2014, 03:47 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks Maz -will have a look at that
Old 22 October 2014, 04:26 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I've looked at a Golf R and the Audi S3, still not ordered either yet, cant decide.

Jake Give me a shout if need and Vagcom coding doing

Richard
Old 22 October 2014, 10:50 PM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Get those pics up...

I've got one on order, expecting it early December.

What's the spec on yours?

I've gone for 5 door DSG, Oryx white, 19" Prets, Nappa interior, DCC, Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Reversing cam, Advanced telephone connection, climate screen
Old 22 October 2014, 11:10 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

I believe RickyA on here has one. i'm sure he'll have something to say on the subject really soon.
Old 23 October 2014, 03:35 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

@Harry

Gone for 5 door, DSG, Lapiz blue, Pro Nav, Winter pack, reversing camera, adaptive suspension, auto lights, keyless......think that is it!

I've done a few miles on it now and brim to brim measure I'm getting 35mpg on my work route. Compares to 45+ in the 335d so not bad.

Will become the wife's car from Monday and I will use on weekends.
Old 23 October 2014, 03:41 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

35 is about right its what i get in the A45 u can push 37 but its normally 35 if you on a good run... equates to 350 to 400 a tank, 56L mine is

Unsure if i,ll ever get the qupoted 40.9
Old 23 October 2014, 03:54 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I looked at the A45 but I can only go to 160 on the emissions under the company car scheme so that sort of made my decision.

Shame as I liked the car and I liked my previous Merc.

I suspect run in I could see 40 if it was nursed along but not really got it for that. The BM will do the longer mileage and the golf will be the short run, town, weekend car.
Old 23 October 2014, 05:37 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah best of both worlds, speak to Leo RS hes got the S3 with i think DTE or some stage 1 very fast.

I am still intreagud by the speaker thing, wonder why they just didnt tune the car to sound nicer.

Im told my A45 has an extra spark plug for the pops n bangs..
Old 23 October 2014, 05:56 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Get my Golf R in Feb, cant wait!! ordered mine in "free" Tornado Red with DSG and 3 door
Old 23 October 2014, 06:15 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I like the idea of these. They do seem very popular though as there's been some cheap leasing deals on them. I've seen a lot of posts online about them being ordered on lease, I can imagine there's going to be a lot of them about 2nd hand in a few years time with the amount being snapped up at the moment. Should mean they'll be a good buy I'd imagine.
Old 23 October 2014, 08:46 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Just about to order one. Black 5 door with dsg. Hoping it will be as lively as my blob Sti I just sold

As said, the lease deals are amazing. £244 over 2 years. Inc metallic and dsg.

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 23 October 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 24 October 2014, 02:10 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I warming to the car more as I drive it more. The gearbox isn't as good as the 335d but that makes you work at it a little harder and adds to the fun.

I'm enjoying it more that I thought I would and if you push it a bit it's pretty quick.

The main thing for me is that it feels pretty nimble and agile which modern cars generally seem to lack.

Be interesting to see how the BM feels on Monday after a solid week in the Golf
Old 24 October 2014, 06:26 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraT
I warming to the car more as I drive it more. The gearbox isn't as good as the 335d but that makes you work at it a little harder and adds to the fun.

I'm enjoying it more that I thought I would and if you push it a bit it's pretty quick.

The main thing for me is that it feels pretty nimble and agile which modern cars generally seem to lack.

Be interesting to see how the BM feels on Monday after a solid week in the Golf
Thats good news that your liking the R!! Making me jealous as I have to wait so long

Have you looked at re-mapping options??
Old 25 October 2014, 06:13 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I'd love to but it's a company car and Id get into a whole heap of **** if I did.

I really like the car ... If I had to choose between the 335d and the R it would be the BM all day long.
Old 26 October 2014, 10:10 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraT
I'd love to but it's a company car and Id get into a whole heap of **** if I did.

I really like the car ... If I had to choose between the 335d and the R it would be the BM all day long.
Had a new BMW 325d M sport for a week at the beginning of the year and I quite liked that, especially with the auto box and all the gadgets and how comfortable it was to drive etc.

Problem was, when I got back into my hawk STi it made me realize how dated and hard work the Subaru was to drive, so when the decision was made to get rid of the Subaru I looked at newer cars, and the Golf R ticked all the boxes!!

But I blame the BMW for me falling out of love with the Subaru!!
Old 26 October 2014, 10:27 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you drive German you don't go back, subaru s have no attraction to me now
Old 26 October 2014, 10:30 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Had a new BMW 325d M sport for a week at the beginning of the year and I quite liked that, especially with the auto box and all the gadgets and how comfortable it was to drive etc.

Problem was, when I got back into my hawk STi it made me realize how dated and hard work the Subaru was to drive, so when the decision was made to get rid of the Subaru I looked at newer cars, and the Golf R ticked all the boxes!!

But I blame the BMW for me falling out of love with the Subaru!!
Don't you miss the rarity factor of the impreza though? I know my V6 STI is a Dinosaur, but I quite like the fact that I've had it a year now and not come accross another V6 STI when I've been driving it. In fact, I've maybe only seen one or two classic STI's when I've been driving.

Do they feel special? I have been back and forth hundreds of times thinking about getting something newer but I can't help feeling after a week or so I'd be missing my sti. I've always loved cars, but the mass production feel of the Golf just puts me off. You've only got to look under the bonnet, the Golf R could be any Golf. I had a mk4 R32 golf and that had a special feel about it, but I dare say there were far fewer than these new ones. Plus the engine and sound was special enough in itself.
Old 26 October 2014, 10:41 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

It's hard to say as everyone is different, I have a cupra k1

2.0tfsi 300bhp with a bit more torque, pulls really well, built really well and goes like stink, I see more impreza than I do k1, there's already 5 or 6 golf r near me.

When you jump back in the impreza you feel how dated they are, not to mention the constant thought that it may blow up at any minute lol, it may sound weird but every impreza I've owned has felt like it needed winding up. Were as the k1 just wants to go. I find myself driving faster in the k1 than I did any of my scoobs, as for sound you can't beat the boxer engine,

The golf r is the perfect format for power. The engine will take 500bhp standard and a remap will see it at 350plus bhp.

Jake
Old 26 October 2014, 11:20 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Don't you miss the rarity factor of the impreza though? I know my V6 STI is a Dinosaur, but I quite like the fact that I've had it a year now and not come accross another V6 STI when I've been driving it. In fact, I've maybe only seen one or two classic STI's when I've been driving.

Do they feel special? I have been back and forth hundreds of times thinking about getting something newer but I can't help feeling after a week or so I'd be missing my sti. I've always loved cars, but the mass production feel of the Golf just puts me off. You've only got to look under the bonnet, the Golf R could be any Golf. I had a mk4 R32 golf and that had a special feel about it, but I dare say there were far fewer than these new ones. Plus the engine and sound was special enough in itself.
Yeah I miss the occasional blast in the Impreza, but I have to use the car everyday to get to work and back, and unfortunately by the time I get to work the oil temps are just upto working temps so I cant even give it a little blast(and the morning rush hour traffic)

I think over the years I keep kidding myself that I can use the Impreza on a daily basis, but with kids, and a busy work life, I dont get to enjoy the Impreza what its for, where as a more comfortable everyday car with a bit of kick, ticks the boxes at the moment, plus I dont want to get sucked up into the modding a car again(expensive hobby)!!

No doubt I will miss the Impreza, but maybe i'll be back one day with a classic type ra, that I can restore back to its standard showroom self.
Old 26 October 2014, 04:08 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
It's hard to say as everyone is different, I have a cupra k1

2.0tfsi 300bhp with a bit more torque, pulls really well, built really well and goes like stink, I see more impreza than I do k1, there's already 5 or 6 golf r near me.

When you jump back in the impreza you feel how dated they are, not to mention the constant thought that it may blow up at any minute lol, it may sound weird but every impreza I've owned has felt like it needed winding up. Were as the k1 just wants to go. I find myself driving faster in the k1 than I did any of my scoobs, as for sound you can't beat the boxer engine,

The golf r is the perfect format for power. The engine will take 500bhp standard and a remap will see it at 350plus bhp.

Jake
*yawns*
Another German comparison

But I'm really glad you enjoy the VW engines, I'm sure any VW site would welcome your input
Old 26 October 2014, 04:14 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
*yawns*
Another German comparison

But I'm really glad you enjoy the VW engines, I'm sure any VW site would welcome your input
You got any pics of darth vader driving a Golf!!
Old 26 October 2014, 07:46 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

And your problem is?

Some one asked for a comparison

I've had 5 impreza Inc the holy grail spec c, I've also had various 1.8t and the 2.0tfsi

You stick to your Subaru just realise there not actually that quick a car anymore.
Old 26 October 2014, 10:32 PM
Sustengo
Scooby Newbie

I've just sold my mk6 golf r as I need more doors, lovely car and the mk7 looks even better but I can't believe how common the mk7 is,must be down to cheap finance/lease deals, see plenty of m135i's on the road too