Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog smell in glasses and dishwashers

Old 09 March 2020, 02:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Dog smell in glasses and dishwashers

An ongoing annoyance of mine. I am nose blind to lots of smells, but not this one.

Way back when we never had this problem. Always had dishwashers, always used them, never really had any issue until the last three dishwashers. Coincidentally all these are A/B energy rated and water usage, obviously everything is now tablets when it used to be powder.

Tried pre-rinsing stuff in the sink, opening the door immediately after finishing and allowing stuff to dry whilst still hot. Disinfecting the dish washer, be it using a ‘cleaner’ or neat thin (non-foaming) bleach and chucked a few milton tablets in there too (same thing as bleach). Never needed to do that lot back in the day and all help, but invariably I’ll still grab a pint glass or cereal bowl (no I don’t drink beer with muesli ) and find it stinks like a halitosis-ridden St. bernard that’s rolled in a cowpat has slobbered in it.

I’m tempted to try putting chunks of a swimming pool chlorine tablet on the top rack to erode whilst in use which is a stronger version of milton/bleach, as clearly the smell is mould/bacteria, and even in ‘intensive’ and ‘hygiene’ modes it’s clearly not enough to nuke whatever creates the smell. Although that will probably knacker the seals and make the plastic parts go brittle (pump impeller etc.) as the tabs would erode too quick in a wash cycle to manage accurate dosage...

So in short I’m running out of long term solutions, unless maybe there’s some sort of dosing unit I could fit to the water supply that adds an extra bit of chlorine to the water going to the dishwasher and in turn disinfects as its being used..:idea3: And yes handwashing still causes the odd smelly glass if not dried fully.

( Yes day off work, and thinking about something else...as the RCD nuisance tripping on the Hob+Oven+Heatpump but not tripping when any one of those three are isolated has me stumped ).

Anyhoo, pot noodle break over...

Old 09 March 2020, 02:56 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
An ongoing annoyance of mine. I am nose blind to lots of smells, but not this one.

Way back when we never had this problem. Always had dishwashers, always used them, never really had any issue until the last three dishwashers. Coincidentally all these are A/B energy rated and water usage, obviously everything is now tablets when it used to be powder.

Tried pre-rinsing stuff in the sink, opening the door immediately after finishing and allowing stuff to dry whilst still hot. Disinfecting the dish washer, be it using a ‘cleaner’ or neat thin (non-foaming) bleach and chucked a few milton tablets in there too (same thing as bleach). Never needed to do that lot back in the day and all help, but invariably I’ll still grab a pint glass or cereal bowl (no I don’t drink beer with muesli ) and find it stinks like a halitosis-ridden St. bernard that’s rolled in a cowpat has slobbered in it.

I’m tempted to try putting chunks of a swimming pool chlorine tablet on the top rack to erode whilst in use which is a stronger version of milton/bleach, as clearly the smell is mould/bacteria, and even in ‘intensive’ and ‘hygiene’ modes it’s clearly not enough to nuke whatever creates the smell. Although that will probably knacker the seals and make the plastic parts go brittle (pump impeller etc.) as the tabs would erode too quick in a wash cycle to manage accurate dosage...

So in short I’m running out of long term solutions, unless maybe there’s some sort of dosing unit I could fit to the water supply that adds an extra bit of chlorine to the water going to the dishwasher and in turn disinfects as its being used..:idea3: And yes handwashing still causes the odd smelly glass if not dried fully.

( Yes day off work, and thinking about something else...as the RCD nuisance tripping on the Hob+Oven+Heatpump but not tripping when any one of those three are isolated has me stumped ).

Anyhoo, pot noodle break over...
Have you got an earth leakage meter clamp. It could be cumulative leakage intermittently tripping the RCD. I have the same problem, with multiple MCB s adding up to 20-25mA leakage. Im replacing the RCD circuit for individual RCBOS. no circuit leaks more than 7 mA for me.

Rcbos are pricey compared to MCB s. !
Old 09 March 2020, 04:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Nope. And my spark is away on a 4week job up north

He did all the first fix upgrades before the kitchen was fitted. Was going to get him to finalise it and sign it off. But I had to jump in before the worktops went in.

Hooked up oven temporarily as I didn’t have a surface box with a clamp for the flex, so just used a normal box. Hooked up the hob...everything all fine (3.7kw induction boils the kettle quick ). Next day I swap the oven switch surface box for one with a flex clamp....during this the RCD popped (MCB was already off, of course, same RCD does kitchen lights hence being on still so I could see) figured I’d just caught the neutral, so proceeded.

Finished, all works fine for ten minutes. Then heatpump triggers (compressor has ten minute start delay), RCD pops. Repeat it, time and again it trips, the only time it doesn’t trip if if the cooker OR hob is isolated (be it on the DP switches or single pole MCBs, so Neutral still on). Turn it on whilst heat pump compressor is running, all ok..boiled water, ran ovens, no issue. Until heatpump turns off and restarts and the RCD trips again.

So yes, this this a cumulative leakage/imbalance and/or insulation issue on a live conductor or internal appliance issue. But it only started when I swapped the surface box over for the oven switch. So I’m going back to that now, I did find the neutral had a nick in it where some cable strippers had dug past the grey insulation, so sorted that to no effect. Now I’m wondering if there is a screw in 6mm T+E feeding that switch as RCD has only played up since manipulating that cable (new kitchen = new wall units + 6mm T+E chased in somewhere behind them with me tugging on it = uh-oh ).

Still it is cumulative, suspect it’s a issue here anyway as I already have some RCBOs on lighting circuits, in addition to the 100mA incoming RCD (overhead power so earth is TT without PME ). The sparky needs to come back to test and certify everthing so we’ll find out what total earth leakage is going on to warrant all the extra RCDs (bet its above 50mA... leaky outdoor lights plus electrics in sheds etc.) But I’m not happy that the one side of the split load CU is running a heatpump, hob and ovens as well as kitchen lights, whilst the other side does ring mains. So I’m going to ask sparky to have swap round in there to balance loads across the two RCDs better and put the heatpump on its own RCBO

Heatpump compressor has a controlled soft start unit which is pure voodoo...It’s a Carlo Gavazzi with a comms connector presumably for programming and diagnostics..ergo I’m not touch THAT, even it still dims the house lights when it powers on

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 March 2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09 March 2020, 04:43 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Nope. And my spark is away on a 4week job up north

He did all the first fix upgrades before the kitchen was fitted. Was going to get him to finalise it and sign it off. But I had to jump in before the worktops went in.

Hooked up oven temporarily as I didn’t have a surface box with a clamp for the flex, so just used a normal box. Hooked up the hob...everything all fine (3.7kw induction boils the kettle quick ). Next day I swap the oven switch surface box for one with a flex clamp....during this the RCD popped (MCB was already off, of course, same RCD does kitchen lights hence being on still so I could see) figured I’d just caught the neutral, so proceeded.

Finished, all works fine for ten minutes. Then heatpump triggers (compressor has ten minute start delay), RCD pops. Repeat it, time and again it trips, the only time it doesn’t trip if if the cooker OR hob is isolated (be it on the DP switches or single pole MCBs, so Neutral still on). Turn it on whilst heat pump compressor is running, all ok..boiled water, ran ovens, no issue. Until heatpump turns off and restarts and the RCD trips again.

So yes, this this a cumulative leakage/imbalance and/or insulation issue on a live conductor or internal appliance issue. But it only started when I swapped the surface box over for the oven switch. So I’m going back to that now, I did find the neutral had a nick in it where some cable strippers had dug past the grey insulation, so sorted that to no effect. Now I’m wondering if there is a screw in 6mm T+E feeding that switch as RCD has only played up since manipulating that cable (new kitchen = new wall units + 6mm T+E chased in somewhere behind them with me tugging on it = uh-oh ).

Still it is cumulative, suspect it’s a issue here anyway as I already have some RCBOs on lighting circuits, in addition to the 100mA incoming RCD (overhead power so earth is TT without PME ). The sparky needs to come back to test and certify everthing so we’ll find out what total earth leakage is going on to warrant all the extra RCDs (bet its above 50mA... leaky outdoor lights plus electrics in sheds etc.) But I’m not happy that the one side of the split load CU is running a heatpump, hob and ovens as well as kitchen lights, whilst the other side does ring mains. So I’m going to ask sparky to have swap round in there to balance loads across the two RCDs better and put the heatpump on its own RCBO

Heatpump compressor has a controlled soft start unit which is pure voodoo...It’s a Carlo Gavazzi with a comms connector presumably for programming and diagnostics..ergo I’m not touch THAT, even it still dims the house lights when it powers on
A clamp earth leakage is great for detecting circuit and individual unit leaks. I clamped mine across LN into RCD, reading in the mid 20's mA, then tested each circuit, max leakage was 7kW induction hob at 8mA.

Our lights used to dim with our Groundsource compressor, but since the village had underground mains replacement, no longer volt drop to house.

Mine is a Martindale CM69

I had to isolate the hob and cooker to drop leakage to mid teens, no longer trips. Individual RCBO on the hob and cooker will help, but you are doubling up rcds, so would need a further split on the consumer unit.

Im doing away with the original rcd for a DP 100Amp switch a 8*RCBOS for each circuit

Last edited by andy97; 09 March 2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09 March 2020, 04:55 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Check the drain hose - many are attached to the sink outlet. Make sure the hose goes UP before is goes off to the dishwasher. A downward pointing hose can allow water from the sink to get into the dishwasher
Old 09 March 2020, 05:07 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...-329038-329039
Old 09 March 2020, 05:41 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh my god I thought I was the only one as my mrs thinks I'm mad !!!

I can't even eat my dinner if the plate has that awful smell, we literally went through a phase where id have to go smell the plate before she served

I tried everything and came close to buying a new dishwasher however I found that a good squeeze of fairy liquid straight into the dishwasher before turning it on has solved it. Obviously still put a tablet in the correct place, and keep the salt/rinse aid topped up but just give the fairy liquid a good squeeze into the washer..
Old 09 March 2020, 06:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Oh my god I thought I was the only one as my mrs thinks I'm mad !!!

I can't even eat my dinner if the plate has that awful smell, we literally went through a phase where id have to go smell the plate before she served
I’m the same....sniffing glasses before using, whatever it is might be denser than air as on initial sniff I get nothing but waft the glass a bit and then sniff and it hits me with full nose of wet dog!

I tried everything and came close to buying a new dishwasher however I found that a good squeeze of fairy liquid straight into the dishwasher before turning it on has solved it. Obviously still put a tablet in the correct place, and keep the salt/rinse aid topped up but just give the fairy liquid a good squeeze into the washer..

Not sure if serious Last time I tried a cap of domestos, I had a foam party (Donestos aka thick bleach foams, thin bleach doesn’t.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 March 2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09 March 2020, 06:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by albob
Check the drain hose - many are attached to the sink outlet. Make sure the hose goes UP before is goes off to the dishwasher. A downward pointing hose can allow water from the sink to get into the dishwasher
It does on this one, although this is three different kitchens in two different houses now

Useless...just smells like a wet dog that’s rolled on some lemons.
Old 09 March 2020, 06:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by andy97
A clamp earth leakage is great for detecting circuit and individual unit leaks. I clamped mine across LN into RCD, reading in the mid 20's mA, then tested each circuit, max leakage was 7kW induction hob at 8mA.

Our lights used to dim with our Groundsource compressor, but since the village had underground mains replacement, no longer volt drop to house.

Mine is a Martindale CM69

I had to isolate the hob and cooker to drop leakage to mid teens, no longer trips. Individual RCBO on the hob and cooker will help, but you are doubling up rcds, so would need a further split on the consumer unit.

Im doing away with the original rcd for a DP 100Amp switch a 8*RCBOS for each circuit

Probably will have to get a clamp metre on it.

Slight development; Whilst pulling out rawlplugs in the vicinity of the oven supply and inspecting holes it tripped again. Hob on (in standby), oven isolated. FFS.
Old 09 March 2020, 07:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Probably will have to get a clamp metre on it.

Slight development; Whilst pulling out rawlplugs in the vicinity of the oven supply and inspecting holes it tripped again. Hob on (in standby), oven isolated. FFS.
Has the cabling been damaged in the wall, screw into it? It would require cable isolated from both end and insulation test on it
Old 09 March 2020, 08:06 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I’m the same....sniffing glasses before using, whatever it is might be denser than air as on initial sniff I get nothing but waft the glass a bit and then sniff and it hits me with full nose of wet dog!

Not sure if serious Last time I tried a cap of domestos, I had a foam party (Donestos aka thick bleach foams, thin bleach doesn’t.

I'm 100% serious chap, just don't go too mad with the squeeze or you'll end up with another foam party.
I lay a thin line of fairy liquid across the inside of the door, chuck a tablet in the cubby hole and away it goes. I've not had any issues with smells since I've been doing it..

Have you tried different tablets out of curiosity ??
Old 09 March 2020, 08:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by andy97
Has the cabling been damaged in the wall, screw into it? It would require cable isolated from both end and insulation test on it
Seems ok. Had a little chisel around and from what it looks like the two suspect fixing holes are a few inches away from the cable. I think the last trip was a red herring and the fault may indeeed lie in the hob circuit as that was still on at the time.

The switch despite being a 45amp job is a nasty cheapy (grabbed it from Toolstation the way back from work). If I wiggle the switch audibly arcs on the contacts and trips the RCD, same with switching it off (ok switching on). Took it apart and clearly its suffering contact bounce/arcing on the contacts for the one pole. I wonder how long that would last with 7.5kw going through it, anyhoo that’s not the current issue as I just threw in another better made DP switch and its tripping on that too.

I’m going say it’s the hob mainly fault as that had power on to it when it tripped, whilst there is a earth leakage elsewhere, that combined with the heatpump is pushing it over the tripping threashold. Double checked the connections as it has multiple power/polyphase options and definetly have it right. I understand it will have some earth leakage whilst in operation but it shouldn’t be doing anything when in standby. I have two days to send it back under distant seller rules, so may just ship it back and get another. At least that will rule it out with little cost as it’s not fully fitted yet.

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I'm 100% serious chap, just don't go too mad with the squeeze or you'll end up with another foam party.
I lay a thin line of fairy liquid across the inside of the door, chuck a tablet in the cubby hole and away it goes. I've not had any issues with smells since I've been doing it..

Have you tried different tablets out of curiosity ??

Ok I’ll try it, under a watchful eye

Have swapped brands a number of times. Usually use Finish, think the best ones I got were Makro’s/Bookers own brand. Currently using some pretty looking Finish Quantum gel tablets...can see why toddlers eat them (wonder if they get dog breath after eating them )

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 March 2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09 March 2020, 09:05 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

We have a dishwasher
cant stand the bloody thing.
Its only good for cleaning car parts, dog bows and the washing machine tray.

it's so rubbish.
Old 09 March 2020, 09:06 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Till I got my meter, I thought it was the grill elements in the oven and microwave, because it would always trip if I tried them. Once I was able to test each appliance separately, I proved that leakage was normal and not excessive. Just the total of electronic appliances on rings and higher leakage kitchen appliances was the cumulative leakage