Subaru Discussion Forums

Go Back   ScoobyNet > Community > Non Scooby Related
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Welcome to ScoobyNet.com!
Subaru forum
Welcome to the ScoobyNet.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 20 January 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Trader Score: (0)
Default What is 'eaves height'?/permitted development

I've been looking at permitted developement rules for side extensions. These say that if you are within 2 metres of the boundary the eaves height must be no more than 3m. Which part of the roof defines eaves height? Is it the highest part of a double pitched roof, or where the roof sits on the wall?

Also under perm' dev' rules it says you cannot build if it involves 'the removal, installation or alteration to a chimney, flue or soil or vent pipe'

By this do they mean an underground soil/waste pipe/drain? I have one there on the side which I might need to move. By flue would that mean where my boiler and kitchen extractor exit, this would also have to be moved.

Thanks
Dingdongler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2010, 07:06 PM   #2
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingdongler View Post
I've been looking at permitted developement rules for side extensions. These say that if you are within 2 metres of the boundary the eaves height must be no more than 3m. Which part of the roof defines eaves height? Is it the highest part of a double pitched roof, or where the roof sits on the wall?
Where the roof sits on the wall

Quote:
Also under perm' dev' rules it says you cannot build if it involves 'the removal, installation or alteration to a chimney, flue or soil or vent pipe'

By this do they mean an underground soil/waste pipe/drain? I have one there on the side which I might need to move. By flue would that mean where my boiler and kitchen extractor exit, this would also have to be moved.
IIRC This refers to above ground features but will double check for you.
pacenote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pacenote. Could you also clarify if 'flue' would include where the steam from my boiler, or kitchen extractor exits?

Cheers
Old 21 January 2010, 12:30 PM   #4
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Quote:
As I thought this relates to above ground features but is more applicable to commercial development where these items may be substantial structures, the extracts from your boiler or kitchen would not be included.

On a different note which is totally unrelated to planning issues:
If your proposed extension is with 3 metres of your neighbours house then it would come under the confines of " The party wall act ", this is basically to do with how your new foundations might impact on your neighbours dwelling, if you google it you will find out what is required (usually spending more money on surveyors I'm afraid ).

HTH
pacenote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacenote View Post
As I thought this relates to above ground features but is more applicable to commercial development where these items may be substantial structures, the extracts from your boiler or kitchen would not be included.

On a different note which is totally unrelated to planning issues:
If your proposed extension is with 3 metres of your neighbours house then it would come under the confines of " The party wall act ", this is basically to do with how your new foundations might impact on your neighbours dwelling, if you google it you will find out what is required (usually spending more money on surveyors I'm afraid ).

HTH
Thanks Pace

Forgot about the Party Wall thing
Old 21 January 2010, 04:39 PM

Tags
average, boundary, eave, eaves, eavs, eves, extension, figure, height, hight, home, house, normal, special, what