Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tallin - Estonia - Tips ?

Old 19 November 2007, 10:29 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tallin - Estonia - Tips ?

I'm off to Tallin in Estonia on Friday for a "Team-Building" Excercise.
Five of us lads going from work.

All I know about this place is that it is gonna be -6C

Has anyone been ?

What is it like ???

Cheap / expensive etc ?
Old 19 November 2007, 10:53 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I went there for a long weekend 2 weeks ago with 3 mates from work. It's a fantastic little city - the old town is very picturesque, with great places to eat and drink, and some good clubs. It's also very clean, with an almost complete absence of the graffiti which seems to afflict so many cities. It felt perfectly safe walking around, even in the early hours, with never a hint of trouble. Overall I prefer it to Prague and Krakow, and at least when we were there it was completely free of rampaging stag parties.

Look around the old town at the old boutique shops, or in the modern mall 5 minutes walk from it and it's obvious there is money in abundance. Prices of the designer goods aren't really any different to what you would pay here. One street we were in had two maserati coupes and a cayenne turbo parked up - all on Estonian plates, so it's clear there's plenty of local wealth kicking about too.

Prices? Cheap, but not ludicrously so. A pint of beer in a bar was about £1.50-2.00, or £2.50 in a night club. Foodwise, it seemed impossible to choose a bad meal, and eating "heartily" in decent places it never went above about £25-30/head including drinks. One place I would highly recommend you visit is a restaurant just off the old town square called Olde Hansa http://www.oldehansa.ee/ which is like a medieval banqueting hall complete with wenches, minstrels and fantastic food (you can even eat bear if it takes your fancy!). We reserved in advance on their website on the recommendation of a friend, and were glad we did as the place was completely full so obviously very popular.

If you're after sleaze then that's also available, though it's not in your face like it is in Prague. We visited a couple of strip clubs on the first night, but TBH felt they were not that good and a bit of a rip-off, so stuck to pubs and a fairly decent nightclub on the second night - Welcome to Venus Club!.

If you want any more specific details, just ask.

Gary.
Old 19 November 2007, 11:01 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Went in a group of 6/7 lads maybe 4 yrs ago. Was quite cheap, very cheap if you buy local brew/food rather than crappy mass produced W European stuff. There is plenty of nightlife (even some decent clubs playing relatively up-to-date music), 'pleasant' locals and even more pleasant Russian/Ukranian immigrant workers

You will have a good time, but watch out for taxi drivers ripping you off - be clear you do not wish them e.g. to wait outside your hotel for an hour with the clock running type of thing. They are all mafia connected so you cannot even argue without threat of retribution. Make sure you spend some time in bars with locals, it will add to the experience.

Will meet a good mix of nations, mainly Scandinavian - great laugh. Possibly better in Summer when the locals are not quite as ....ahem.....wrapped up tho!

Have a good time
Old 19 November 2007, 11:32 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lovely place and lovely people - very Scandinavian feel to it. They share the Finnish obession for saunas Unfortunately Tallinn is being ruined by the same stag weekend mentality that spoilt Prague. The number of signs on bars and restaurants I saw specifically banning groups of English men was seriously depressing.
Old 22 November 2007, 09:47 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Doh.

The lad who was meant to be sharing with me has dropped out.

Sadly this means I get the Suite to myself

It even has its own Sauna !!!

Cool

Might post some pictures up - but then again - probably won't take a camera.
Old 23 November 2007, 08:06 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

http://www.hg2.com/cities/tallinn/
Old 23 November 2007, 11:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Keep your dick in your pants. Estonia is supposed to be the AIDS/HIV capital of Europe...........mind, the UK is third

Alcazar