Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Waxoyl

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2005, 01:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Waxoyl

Bugger that for a laugh. I bought the starter kit hoping to treat the inside of the chassis on my Land Rover. A bit of tube with a nail in the end!! How is that going to turn into a spray head!! Much crap everywhere and a few mouthfulls of white spirt and I took it back to Halfords.

My recommendation, let it rot, it'll be easier to change the chassis.
Old 17 May 2005, 08:31 PM
philc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I used this product about 30 years ago (before they'd invented the term 'starter kits' - all you got was a gallon can of waxoyl), I bought one of those garden pressure pump spray bottles with a long extension spray lead.

So long as the waxoyl was reasonably warm I could happily spray all over the car (inside sills, nooks and crannies in the chassis, door panels, etc).

Worked a treat (and had a rust-free spray bottle as a bonus )
Old 18 May 2005, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The spray does work well enough and giving your car the treatment makes a real difference to its rustfree life and does a lot to preserve the value of the car.

I gather you realise that the tubing with the nail in the end is designed to go into box sections when you remove a convenient screw. The best way to apply it externally is with a brush.

Les
Old 18 May 2005, 05:25 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

You can get big Waxoyl aerosols for about a fiver. It only took two of these to do all the box sections / chassis legs, sills, inner wings and insides of doors on my old BGT many years ago.

If you put the cans in hand-hot water for about 30 mins they spray much better ... you get much better atomisation of the Waxoyl from these cans than you can from the hand-pump kits.

One tip I got was to do the treatment towards the end of a warm day, after leaving the car in the sun all day ... that way the sections should be bone-dry and the Waxoyl seems to stick and 'creep' on the metal much better.

The Waxoyl underseal is the dogs too for exposed metal sections.
Old 18 May 2005, 06:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brickboy
You can get big Waxoyl aerosols for about a fiver. It only took two of these to do all the box sections / chassis legs, sills, inner wings and insides of doors on my old BGT many years ago.

If you put the cans in hand-hot water for about 30 mins they spray much better ... you get much better atomisation of the Waxoyl from these cans than you can from the hand-pump kits.

One tip I got was to do the treatment towards the end of a warm day, after leaving the car in the sun all day ... that way the sections should be bone-dry and the Waxoyl seems to stick and 'creep' on the metal much better.

The Waxoyl underseal is the dogs too for exposed metal sections.
Agree 100%, also you can thin it with white spirit but not too much.
Old 19 May 2005, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good tips there from Brickboy.

Les
Old 19 May 2005, 11:52 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Standing the can of Waxoyl in a bowl of hot water helps too, then you can use it in a normal spray paint compressor.