Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Young Drivers Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2017, 01:33 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Young Drivers Insurance

If anybody is looking for "cheapish" insurance for a young son or daughter then Co Op young drivers insurance may be worth looking at.

I searched for my son who is 17 last year when he started driving.
He is driving a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Diesel ,lowered suspension ,18 inch alloys but factory standard with no modifications.
Got all sorts of quotes from £2k to £20+ k.....
Read about Co Op YDI and gave it a go.
£1600 with me and the wife on it which did make it slightly cheaper ,not much though.
A Black Box needs fitting to allow Co Op to monitor the driving style etc. I was a bit wary of this at first but Im now convinced it really is a good thing , if only to stop my son getting up to the antics I used to get up to in my first cars...! Personally I now think every driver under 20 should have to have these fitted. After seeing how it works.
We also can log on ourselves, son included , and see how the driving is going , on a Dashboard, showing speed ,acceleration ,braking and cornering.
It gives a score for each and will advise which areas need improvement.
The really good part is it gets reviewed every 3 months and if driving has been good then you get a rebate on what premium you have paid, so we have just received £185 back from our £1600 initial payment ,which is a great incentive for my son to keep driving well.
I paid the insurance, but I did split the rebate with him to keep him keen so to speak..!
So its worth a look if your insuring a young one in the near future.
Old 17 January 2017, 01:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah we went with Tesco black box insurance for our eldest daughter it was pretty good tbh

a big benefit is the black box can detect a crash and call the emergency services

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 17 January 2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 17 January 2017, 01:39 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Only down size is when Im driving it I have to remember its being monitored...!
If you have ever tried sticking to 30mph these days it is very unnerving when you get a long line of cars behind you and you feel are holding them up...!
Not that I speed around in my own car but I did think about getting a sticker made on the back to say
"Black box fitted .Please feel free to overtake if you need to speed".
Just so people know .
Apart from that I would highly recommend.
Old 17 January 2017, 09:53 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My eldest has a Festa 1.4 Ztec with a black box fitted. He's hopefully coming up to 1 years NCB in March with renewals looking to be around £830 with me and the Mrs as named drivers.

He's really struggled with the box in the car, mainly because you really do have to drive like Miss Daisy and it would be hard work for a more experienced driver IMO. We might get a refund for this quarter though which is a good thing.

His policy is with Ingenie.
Old 17 January 2017, 10:25 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Good stuff.
I wasn't sure if other Insurers di this refund for safe driving but good to see they do.
I know what you mean about driving miss daisy style..!
Not bad renewal price.
What was it for his first year?
Old 18 January 2017, 09:08 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Good stuff.
I wasn't sure if other Insurers di this refund for safe driving but good to see they do.
I know what you mean about driving miss daisy style..!
Not bad renewal price.
What was it for his first year?
From memory about £1200 with the option of up to £250ish refund for driving like a virgin white nun. He gets feedback every two weeks on Speed, Acceleration, Braking and Cornering. He had quite a few reports with green on the first three and flashing red helvetica 48 on cornering. To get all greens/good, he has to go around corners to the point that he's holding up traffic. He even got a letter saying they would have to review his cover if things didn't improve. That was a wake up call for him, as I had the "be under no doubt how difficult it will be for you to get insurance if they cancel your policy"

I do however think they are a good thing and stop him doing all the crazy **** I used to do, but got away with, either from a legal point of view, or more importantly, without killing or hurting anyone. He has however had two big accidents on his road bike though, both involving being taken in an ambulance to hospital, one even made the BBC website as it shut a major road in Cumbria and caused a rather long diversion for the workers of Sellafield. No black box on his push bike though.
Old 18 January 2017, 09:42 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Only down size is when Im driving it I have to remember its being monitored...!
If you have ever tried sticking to 30mph these days it is very unnerving when you get a long line of cars behind you and you feel are holding them up...!
Not that I speed around in my own car but I did think about getting a sticker made on the back to say
"Black box fitted .Please feel free to overtake if you need to speed".
Just so people know .
Apart from that I would highly recommend.
^ - yes this all sound familiar
Old 18 January 2017, 02:01 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My daughters 20 and has had her licence for just over 18 months. She's just sold her little Punto and now drives a Mini Cooper. She's insured with Admiral and has a Telematics box fitted. Like the OP, she also got a rebate.

Insuring girls is certainly cheaper than boys by the looks of it. I paid £670 fully Comp for her with my wife and I as named drivers. That's with 2 years NCD.
Old 18 January 2017, 07:09 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

Daughter is with Direct Line. £600 in the first year then £440 in 2nd year - that's for a C1 with a black box fitted.

Once in a while I borrow it if my own car is off the road and I always forget about the black box. I wring it for everything that it has to offer...which isn't a lot.
Old 18 January 2017, 09:37 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

£600 for 1st year aint bad....
Old 19 January 2017, 09:02 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DTB
Daughter is with Direct Line. £600 in the first year then £440 in 2nd year - that's for a C1 with a black box fitted.

Once in a while I borrow it if my own car is off the road and I always forget about the black box. I wring it for everything that it has to offer...which isn't a lot.
That seems cheap - is that for a NQD?
Old 19 January 2017, 09:18 AM
DTB
Scooby Regular

That's the price for her as a learner, then as a qualified driver. No change to premium after passing test - with me and the missus as named drivers.

We're all with Direct Line so that might make a difference but I reckon it's largely due to living in a low-premium postcode. I think the wrx is something like £170 for the wife and I, with 9 years NCD. We are old though
Old 20 January 2017, 06:15 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DTB
That's the price for her as a learner, then as a qualified driver. No change to premium after passing test - with me and the missus as named drivers.

We're all with Direct Line so that might make a difference but I reckon it's largely due to living in a low-premium postcode. I think the wrx is something like £170 for the wife and I, with 9 years NCD. We are old though
Crikey that's cheap.
Can only dream of a post code like you must have.
Car crime capital of the world for me OL10....
Old 20 January 2017, 06:35 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

My son started with Tesco black box 2 years ago with a Honda Civic EP2, £1200 which was bloody cheap.

He wrote that car car off and has only just built 1 years NCB. He is now 19 and has just insured his Toyota Celica 1.8ST without a black box with Hastings direct for £1400 which is also bloody cheap!
Old 02 April 2017, 06:21 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Latest update...
Just been told his driving hasn't changed in last 3 months so no more cash back.
WTF...
Surely maintaining good driving should be rewarded under the incentive scheme.
But alas no.. Apparently you only get 1 rebate after 3 months if there is improvement, but improvement on starting out and then maintaining "Good" driving after 6 months is not deemed as being worthy of a reward, which I think is wrong as most young kids will get used to the car in first 3 months then become a little complacent and start thinking they are "Hamilton" with the confidence they build up after say 3 months.
Anyway in short , no more rebates however good the driving is and they are scored out of 100 I think and if they fall below 50 they will get penalised and have to pay more for the premium. My son is on 78 so hopefully it stays that way.(albeit with me driving like miss daisy when I use the car)
Regards
Old 03 April 2017, 12:58 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Since you've updated, the renewal for our son came in at just a smidge over £600 which ain't too bad since I thought it was going to be North of £800. In addition to that, if he continues to drive like he is, then we'll get a refund of part of the premium. He doesn't actually have an interest in cars other than it provides a means of getting from A to B, so I think that helps.
However stick him on a cycle and he's obsessed with going as fast as possible.
Old 03 April 2017, 06:56 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Further update...
We have used the 8000 miles we paid for so my son has requested 4000 more to see him though to Sept.
£52 +£15 admin so not too bad really.
Still a bit disappointing not getting any more rebates.
Hey ho...