Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

windows 10 - 1607 build

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2017, 11:03 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I bought the 2016 version or Word last night. Wouldn't install so I rang Microsoft and 2 hours later it is just about working.

But in the process I lost use of Picture Manager which I used a lot especially as a quick way of compressing a 3 mb picture to say 250 kb that I could send in an email.

The Microsoft Picture management software seems many steps backwards and I gave up.

Any suggestions?

Not helped by my son sending me some 30 mb pictures from his new Sony digital. He used some fancy transfer software sending 500 mb in total. Haven't a clue about all this

David
Agreed, this is one omission on MS's part. There is one way to do this similar to what you did before, open your pic in Photos and click on edit at the top, then click "enhance your photo", then save a copy, in most cases this will reduce the size of large pictures if you don't mind it "enhancing" the pic first.

The other alternative is to use another free 3rd party app, which there are literally thousands of from a google search. Personally i use Photoshop, but that isn't free.
Old 24 April 2017, 11:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
Agreed, this is one omission on MS's part. There is one way to do this similar to what you did before, open your pic in Photos and click on edit at the top, then click "enhance your photo", then save a copy, in most cases this will reduce the size of large pictures if you don't mind it "enhancing" the pic first.

The other alternative is to use another free 3rd party app, which there are literally thousands of from a google search. Personally i use Photoshop, but that isn't free.

Thanks, interesting. I have since discovered that if I open pic in Paint there is a compress function but I think the quality suffers slightly. David
Old 24 April 2017, 11:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

MS paint is cack, you'd be better off with a 3rd party app or an online web compression tool.
Old 25 April 2017, 11:53 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

@David Lock You can also get the trusty old Windows Photo Viewer back.

Open up Settings and go to System > Default apps. Under "Photo viewer," you should see your current default photo viewer (probably the new Photos app). Click this to see a list of options for a new default photo viewer. Assuming you upgraded to Windows 10 from a previous version of Windows, you should see Windows Photo Viewer as an option.

Choose Windows Photo Viewer and exit the Settings menu, photos will now open up in Windows Photo Viewer.

Within that is an Email button at the top where you can automatically resize/compress a picture and attach it to your mail.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
@David Lock You can also get the trusty old Windows Photo Viewer back.

Open up Settings and go to System > Default apps. Under "Photo viewer," you should see your current default photo viewer (probably the new Photos app). Click this to see a list of options for a new default photo viewer. Assuming you upgraded to Windows 10 from a previous version of Windows, you should see Windows Photo Viewer as an option.

Choose Windows Photo Viewer and exit the Settings menu, photos will now open up in Windows Photo Viewer.

Within that is an Email button at the top where you can automatically resize/compress a picture and attach it to your mail.
Cheers Bio F, i'll have a go tomorrow. David