Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: How will you vote in the EU referendum?
Leave the EU
67.45%
Remain in the EU
22.75%
Don't know yet
5.49%
Won't be voting
4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

EU Referendum

Old 07 November 2016, 11:46 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Who's going to pick the potatoes from the UK fields, though? It's hard work for the UK's native people, you know. They put on yellow jackets only once in a blue moon to clean the colony, and get their cheesy picture done with the mayor, for show. If you have to do this sort of job day in and day out, then I'm not too sure.

Perhaps we'll put those Indians to use that turn up here with a mango in one hand and coconut in another.

Old 07 November 2016, 11:48 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah.

Labour leader Mr. Corbyn has also changed his tune after decades of his resentment towards the EU; his incongruence on the matter that became one of the major issues for his party members, when he had to face the party leadership re-election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...early-election

Now he and his party would vote against article 50, if Britain doesn't get access to single market!

I mean, how short-sighted and 'have your cake and eat it' some people can be, eh! In order to gain something, you have to give something. That's the bottom line. Corbyn should have known it better; rather than being stuck in the past, and Brexit mobilising politicians should have also thought long and hard about this 'accessing single market' business. Not enough thought and no plan has put this Brexit-Brexit-Brexit in a state of a limbo. TM is just people pleasing with her 'Brexit means Brexit'; trying to fortify her party's chances in the next election. Hope it all pans out in Britain's best interest. Otherwise, we will see the surge not only in the Indian and Chinese foreigners, but also in the moaners who think that these foreigners will be here to take over Britain. One goes, another one turns up! F***ing hell, man! What kind of strategy is that- to please people, eh?
The problem that the remain campaign had to overcome - and ultimately failed to

Was the inherent hypocrisy of it - especially with it being led by Cameron

Cameron/ Osborne where guilty throughout their time in parliament of peddling myths, half-truths and simple lies about the EU

Of buying into the anti EU mantra that came day in day out from 90% of the UK press - whether it had any merit or not

The EU was used a pawn in the political Westminster game - a game for one thing, and that is power

The EU was like the girl that is told repeatedly she is ugly, to the point that even she believes it

May - a supposed remainer peddled the myth on the NHS health tourism - a myth that the figures simply do not support simply because it support her own political agenda

Everyone in the establishment knew Boris Johnson spent his early years as a Telegraph EU correspondent making up stories about straight bananas/cucumbers, that EU was forcing us to change our chocolate to “vegelate”

“Then came the biggest whopper of all: “Delors plan to rule Europe” ran a front-page headline in the Sunday Telegraph in May 1992, just ahead of the Danish referendum on the Maastricht treaty. Nobody could follow that except to say it was untrue, and based on thin ideas floated at a casual briefing, but denials came too late for Danish voters, who said “no”. Many attribute that to Johnson’s story.

Rebutting a Johnson myth was a thankless task and the commission itself was powerless to fight back “because what we said wasn’t funny”, as one spokesman put it at the time. Refuting the condoms story, one spokesman resorted to profanity, telling the Sun it was “bull****”. “Otherwise,” he said, “I’d never have got my point of view in.”

Johnson’s half-truths created new reality, as I discovered while trying to untangle council directive 73,241, which set out rules on quantities of vegetable fat versus cocoa fat. Because Britain used more vegetable fat than other countries, a lowly official suggested Britain call its chocolate “vegelate”: hence the myth. There was no serious plan and no compulsion. It was what Johnson himself might describe as “piffle”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ro-myth-brexit

But over the years the mud stuck, and a large section of the remain camp (Cameron et al) were guilty of either actively throwing the mud – or enabling it by simply standing by and saying nothing to defend the EU where it was required

So they simply came over as hypocrites – the public saw thru them

And the EU was fatally flawed in many people eyes, and brought zeto benefit to the UK – which we know now not to be true because the UK government had to underwrite the Nissan deal

So it was not even a matter of weighing up the pros and cons (the EU is not perfect and off course there are cons, the question is/was “do the outweigh the pros”)

but all we got was the cons

But we live in a post truth world
Old 07 November 2016, 11:49 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog

Wow! Why didn't I think of that! That's cool.

My worry is that when the machines start to take over, we can start moaning at them as well for taking our jobs. There's no end to it, to be honest.

Anyway, hope Brexit means Brexit. That's all we can wish for.
Old 07 November 2016, 11:50 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Wow! Why didn't I think of that! That's cool.

My worry is that when the machines start to take over, we can start moaning at them as well for taking our jobs. There's no end to it, to be honest.

Anyway, hope Brexit means Brexit. That's all we can wish for.
Were living in the industrial revolution again
Old 07 November 2016, 11:51 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

Cameron/ Osborne where guilty throughout their time in parliament of peddling myths, half-truths and simple lies about the EU

Of buying into the anti EU mantra that came day in day out from 90% of the UK press - whether it had any merit or not

The EU was used a pawn in the political Westminster game - a game for one thing, and that is power

The EU was like the girl that is told repeatedly she is ugly, to the point that even she believes it

May - a supposed remainer peddled the myth on the NHS health tourism - a myth that the figures simply do not support simply because it support her own political agenda

Everyone in the establishment knew Boris Johnson spent his early years as a Telegraph EU correspondent making up stories about straight bananas/cucumbers, that EU was forcing us to change our chocolate to “vegelate”

“Then came the biggest whopper of all: “Delors plan to rule Europe” ran a front-page headline in the Sunday Telegraph in May 1992, just ahead of the Danish referendum on the Maastricht treaty. Nobody could follow that except to say it was untrue, and based on thin ideas floated at a casual briefing, but denials came too late for Danish voters, who said “no”. Many attribute that to Johnson’s story.

Rebutting a Johnson myth was a thankless task and the commission itself was powerless to fight back “because what we said wasn’t funny”, as one spokesman put it at the time. Refuting the condoms story, one spokesman resorted to profanity, telling the Sun it was “bull****”. “Otherwise,” he said, “I’d never have got my point of view in.”

Johnson’s half-truths created new reality, as I discovered while trying to untangle council directive 73,241, which set out rules on quantities of vegetable fat versus cocoa fat. Because Britain used more vegetable fat than other countries, a lowly official suggested Britain call its chocolate “vegelate”: hence the myth. There was no serious plan and no compulsion. It was what Johnson himself might describe as “piffle”.

But over the years the mud stuck, and a large section of the remain camp (Cameron et al) were guilty of either actively throwing the mud – or enabling it by simply standing by and saying nothing to defend the EU where it was required

And the EU was fatally flawed in many people eyes, and brought zeto benefit to the UK – which we know now not to be true because the UK government had to underwrite the Nissan deal

So it was not even a matter of weighing up the pros and cons (the EU is not perfect and off course there are cons, the question is/was “do the outweigh the pros”)

Absolutely.
Old 07 November 2016, 11:54 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Were living in the industrial revolution again
Oh, yes! I remember now that Danny Boyle rekindled it since the Olympics in London!
Old 07 November 2016, 12:01 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Old 07 November 2016, 12:35 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

good post that
Old 07 November 2016, 12:46 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I could be wrong but I reckon a dozen eastern Europeans are probably cheaper.
Old 07 November 2016, 12:55 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
I could be wrong but I reckon a dozen eastern Europeans are probably cheaper.
depends if your paying them above minimum wage
Old 07 November 2016, 01:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-court-on-day/

Be ready with your soggy tomatoes , you should be able to spot them

( not many of them , relatively )
Old 07 November 2016, 01:34 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-court-on-day/

Be ready with your soggy tomatoes , you should be able to spot them

( not many of them , relatively )

I think its kinda funny they mention crowd funding and millionaire supporters in the same article
Old 07 November 2016, 01:56 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Interesting,

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/vo...cars-in-china/
Old 07 November 2016, 02:10 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

In what way? It's going to retain its EU plants, and it's going to build cars for other markets in Chine, the country of origin on the owning company.

If you think it's interesting that a Chinese company is actually building mainstream cars, fair enough, but I don't see that it has much to do with the EU discussion?
Old 07 November 2016, 02:21 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
In what way? It's going to retain its EU plants, and it's going to build cars for other markets in Chine, the country of origin on the owning company.

If you think it's interesting that a Chinese company is actually building mainstream cars, fair enough, but I don't see that it has much to do with the EU discussion?
Isn't the US volvo's biggest market? So moving the main production away from the EU
Old 07 November 2016, 02:43 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

This made me chuckle...feels familiar

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/brexit-leave-voter-british-law-caller/
Old 07 November 2016, 03:01 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Isn't the US volvo's biggest market? So moving the main production away from the EU
China may have a more preferable deal with regards to cars than EU for the US, which would make sense to move it. The article doesn't really say either way.
Old 07 November 2016, 03:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by trails
this one is quite good too

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenter...s-up-tear-son/

I pointed out on another forum, that I suspect some people will end up blaming the politicians (a bit of a cope out if I am totally honest) but I think the reasons are highlighted in my post upthread
Old 07 November 2016, 03:35 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
hahahaha, what a donkey
Old 07 November 2016, 04:22 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

depends if your paying them above minimum wage
Or if you give them a nice little bedsit to live in and some food to eat.
Old 07 November 2016, 04:39 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Or if you give them a nice little bedsit to live in and some food to eat.
Ethical that isn't it
Old 07 November 2016, 06:50 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Ah my bad, looks like I misunderstood part of the minimum wage legislation (either that or they've changed it since I last looked).
Old 07 November 2016, 09:25 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting reading that article . Its not often you see how politicians use mainstream media to manipulate the masses.

We need someone like trump to expose these people

Last edited by gary77; 07 November 2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07 November 2016, 09:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

About TM's India trip, right weather to visit India, fair do's. One thing I don't understand about TM is why she wears such strange clothing. I understand that Modi is not any Taj Mahal from any angle, but he was more tidily dressed than her! Her clothing style and colour combinations looked silly. Her face looked good, though. Bright and cheerful; like we all are, on our holidays. She's too tense when she's talking 'Brexit means Brexit', back in the UK.
Old 07 November 2016, 11:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Basically her carrot was to let in the 1 in 10 students who don't get accepted here, in exchange for sending home a load of others . As far as I could make out

She just looks slightly sickly pale most time to me
Old 08 November 2016, 09:48 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

this one is quite good too

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenter...s-up-tear-son/

I pointed out on another forum, that I suspect some people will end up blaming the politicians (a bit of a cope out if I am totally honest) but I think the reasons are highlighted in my post upthread

Yeah, listened to that one too...props for him being honest about his motives and regret.

I agree, although that leads us back to the referendum; Cameron fooked up so it is his fault really...the interview above tells you everything really
Old 09 November 2016, 11:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well, at least for today, the UK was distracted by the 'Brexit times Ten'. What happened in America today is certainly ten times more earth shattering than our Brexit, on the global level. You can feel the Trumpquake tremors here in the UK!