Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What's the most unlikely coincidence you've ever experienced ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2015, 03:53 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
It's unfathomable and ineffable when taken back to Big Bang and we then have pre-Big Bang and the notion of multiverses, but even this doesn't satisfy the problem of infinite regress. After this we travel all the way through to the 'creation' of Earth, abiogenesis, incalculable mutations of the species and so on until gran meets grandad and father is born and mother is born and procreation takes place and the staggering, magical, miraculous odds of conception! Any event after this only adds to how incredibly unlikely it is that anything happens at all. Yet here we are. Awesome!
Yes, when travelling in India years ago I met a couple on a beach in Kovolam, on the very southern tip of India, 3 months later I met them met them in a truck stop on the way to Srinagar - several thousand miles away in a country of nearly a billion people

What are the chances - quite high when you rationalise it

And in light of the above exceedingly high

Imagine a world where coincidences never happen - that would be weird

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 26 November 2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 26 November 2015, 03:55 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's unfathomable and ineffable when taken back to Big Bang and we then have pre-Big Bang and the notion of multiverses, but even this doesn't satisfy the problem of infinite regress. After this we travel all the way through to the 'creation' of Earth, abiogenesis, incalculable mutations of the species and so on until gran meets grandad and father is born and mother is born and procreation takes place and the staggering, magical, miraculous odds of conception! Any event after this only adds to how incredibly unlikely it is that anything happens at all. Yet here we are. Awesome!

You could apply this logic, or illogic, to anything and everything that happens, not just human birth. For instance a particular stone that flies out from under a particular person's tyre and goes through a particular person's windscreen is an incredible event if it has been predicted. Otherwise, like everything else, it's pure chance that looks like a miracle but isn't.
Old 26 November 2015, 04:12 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
You could apply this logic, or illogic, to anything and everything that happens, not just human birth. For instance a particular stone that flies out from under a particular person's tyre and goes through a particular person's windscreen is an incredible event if it has been predicted. Otherwise, like everything else, it's pure chance that looks like a miracle but isn't.
Yes, a variety (in a sense) of the anthropic principle. But here we diverge in to philosophy. Nihilism hasn't been attractive to me for some time, it doesn't satisfy.
Old 26 November 2015, 04:14 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Yes, when travelling in India years ago I met a couple on a beach in Kovolam, on the very southern tip of India, 3 months later I met them met them in a truck stop on the way to Srinagar - several thousand miles away in a country of nearly a billion people

What are the chances - quite high when you rationalise it

And in light of the above exceedingly high

Imagine a world where coincidences never happen - that would be weird
Of course, but the odds are still stacked against such events happening.
Old 26 November 2015, 04:31 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to the toilet and had a pee, how amazing is that? don't get me started on the magic of number twos.
Old 26 November 2015, 04:51 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Derren Brown's 'The System' is very good.

The full version's on YouTube, but here's the reveal for the impatient.

Old 26 November 2015, 04:57 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Yes, a variety (in a sense) of the anthropic principle. But here we diverge in to philosophy. Nihilism hasn't been attractive to me for some time, it doesn't satisfy.

I was not intending to be nihilistic, just pointing out that humans are what they are as a result of an impossible-to-define number of chance occurances rather than by the designs of a God architect.
Old 26 November 2015, 05:07 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I was not intending to be nihilistic, just pointing out that humans are what they are as a result of an impossible-to-define number of chance occurances rather than by the designs of a God architect.
Define God in this instance.
Old 26 November 2015, 05:18 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Define God in this instance.

I think I just did.
Old 26 November 2015, 05:28 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I think I just did.
No, you said 'God architect'. You could have simply said an 'architect'. Perhaps you meant 'architect God' in which case I'd still like to know the qualities of this 'God'. I would describe that God (in that context) as ineffable, which kind of gets you off the hook.
Old 26 November 2015, 05:40 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

No, you said 'God architect'. You could have simply said an 'architect'. Perhaps you meant 'architect God' in which case I'd still like to know the qualities of this 'God'. I would describe that God (in that context) as ineffable, which kind of gets you off the hook.

Actually I thought I was denying the influence (and by inference, the existence) of any creator in the appearance on earth of humans, just a happy combination of chances or coincidences.
Old 26 November 2015, 05:59 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Actually I thought I was denying the influence (and by inference, the existence) of any creator in the appearance on earth of humans, just a happy combination of chances or coincidences.
The creator God transcends human language and categories of thought.
Old 26 November 2015, 06:09 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

The creator God transcends human language and categories of thought.

I had that weak argument trotted out by a master at my school, when I asked about the nature of God (I was a sad child!). Unthinking acceptance of something so poorly explained (or unexplained) is no basis for a belief system except where witch doctors hold sway.
Old 26 November 2015, 06:28 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I have noticed that recently quite a few threads are deteriorating into theological and/or religious arguments that have no bearing on the threads subject matter...........................

anyone else getting thoroughly bored with this?
Old 26 November 2015, 06:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Im all for traditional 'witch' doctors . Girlfriends family have semi resident Sekuru

Hes fairly harmless , he predicted our car imported from SA would appear sooner or later ( it was missing for months) and it did

He manages to message a meal and some coka cola l out of it , fine by me
Old 26 November 2015, 06:47 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I have noticed that recently quite a few threads are deteriorating into theological and/or religious arguments that have no bearing on the threads subject matter...........................

Wow, coincidences or what?
Old 26 November 2015, 06:49 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 26 November 2015, 07:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Im all for traditional 'witch' doctors . Girlfriends family have semi resident Sekuru

Hes fairly harmless , he predicted our car imported from SA would appear sooner or later ( it was missing for months) and it did

He manages to message a meal and some coka cola l out of it , fine by me
LOL that sort of stuff amuses me to hear about it, but irritates me when I have be at the receiving end of such bull that involves my life. I was dragged by my sister and her mister to a fortune teller bloke once, on my visit to India. As you know, India is full of such bullshyters. The fortune teller is a bank manager by profession as it is, and he mugs people on side with his utter futuristic utter bollox. He didn't half throw some arrows in the dark! Even I could do better job than him, you know. One of the things that he guessed was that my man's name or at least his surname must start with either l, p, b, d, s, j, t or r. He also said that I may have some health prob one day, and it would be a gynaecological one. I mean, come on. I could see through the bloke!! I should have told him some home truths about him, but I couldn't, as I had to respect my deluded relatives, hadn't I? One thing I personally couldn't predict that not just that porky pieman but also my Sis & Co. mugged me, as they also had their fates predicted by him, but when it came to leave the donations in the name of the God Almighty, I had to part with my British fiver ffs! They paid nothing at all!

About things happening in a strange manner like a coincident, I'm sure I got to experience stuff like that. I can't remember any of such 'most unlikely' coincidences right now.

Actually, sometimes when I'm thinking of certain topic, someone from Aberdeen or even Sweden ends up posting the same topic here on SN. That's quite strange.

Also, on 1st November when I was driving along the Sealand Road, a thought of my car crashing or breaking down entered my mind, just after I had gone past the clay pigeon shooting school. Prior to this for a few days, I do know that I was driving a bit more carefully than usual. I had no idea why. It's like I was waiting for something to happen. Anyway, back to 1st November, basically when I was passing the Northgate Arena, my car suddenly ceased with almost everything failing in it. That was scary, and just as well I was bang in the middle of the 30mph city centre area, not on the motorway. Basically, with the courtesy of the most fantastic VW, my car's fuel injectors had croaked. VW ended up replacing all 4 injectors free of cost because they erroneously exempted my car from their 2011-2012 fuel injectors recall. All that aside, I thought my sense beyond the usual five senses was strong, there.

So, yeah. One of them things.
Old 26 November 2015, 07:58 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Linus27
Yes
+1

Boooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggg!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 26 November 2015, 09:01 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I had that weak argument trotted out by a master at my school, when I asked about the nature of God (I was a sad child!). Unthinking acceptance of something so poorly explained (or unexplained) is no basis for a belief system except where witch doctors hold sway.
Well, he was wrong. It is possible to know the nature of God the Father through His Son. It is not possible to know the creator God independent of Jesus. Physicists and deists and deist-physicist haven't a clue!
Old 26 November 2015, 09:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

how did you know him , hes been dead for ages !
Old 26 November 2015, 11:15 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

makes you feel kind of....insignificant........
Old 27 November 2015, 12:13 AM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Filled up my Subaru twice and I don't look at the pump just fill it to it clicks off went in to pay and the amount was same as my PIN number random amount. Without giving it away but not far off £ 59.07,,,,, not my pin btw
Old 27 November 2015, 07:04 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Oh yes!!!!!
Old 27 November 2015, 07:50 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I was having a **** in the pub toilets, by chance a mate came in at the same time, I hadn't seen him since he was standing at the bar.

Given that they reckon that it only take 6 steps to link one person to another, coincidences happen alot more often than you think.
Old 27 November 2015, 10:25 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

I put on a Duffy cd yesterday.A fairly rare occurrence.

Listen to the news & this happened!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34935821

It wasn't that loud,honest.
Old 27 November 2015, 11:50 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Fulham subsidence ! i knew someone once with the same problems , the house didnt fall down though

Looks a bit duff to start with imo
Old 27 November 2015, 01:45 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Fulham subsidence ! i knew someone once with the same problems , the house didnt fall down though

Looks a bit duff to start with imo
Ho ho ho! Could be due to the Tube.Maybe she lives near Warwick Avenue.
Old 27 November 2015, 02:27 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i switched on my telly today and turned to discovery turbo hoping to see endless repeats of old wheeler dealer shows, and guess what!.......
Old 27 November 2015, 05:55 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

One today.

I get some info at work from a guy once a month. This month he's about a week late with it. This morning, send him an email asking for it. Go back to my email box and its there.

.....time on my sent email 8.34 ........time on his sent email 8.34

Phoned him straight away to ask if he'd seen my email first, but nope we sent them at exactly the same time.

Quick Reply: What's the most unlikely coincidence you've ever experienced ?