Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

know the difference

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2015, 09:21 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default know the difference

does anyone know the difference between your legal name and your lawfull name ? i was told the difference today and found it a bit hard to believe, but the more i think about it the more i want another answer
Old 19 August 2015, 09:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was under the impression that your "name" is simply what you are commonly known as
Old 19 August 2015, 09:36 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Taking an educated guess, in the real world they're pretty much the exact same thing, but in the minds of conspiritard 'one-world-government' truther types, there's an entire universe of difference between them.
Old 19 August 2015, 09:48 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

well i was told today that your name on your bank card is actually not your own, as your name is written like so Dave Smith not DAVE SMITH as per bank cards load agreements and all financial papers, this is your lawful name Dave Smith spelt with a capital to start then smallcase therefore the name on your bank cards etc is technically wrong as it's all capitals, a legal technicality which can and has been used in court to get people out of paying debts back, according to the person who told me, i just wondered if anyone knew any different
Old 19 August 2015, 10:02 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I think the person you spoke to is utterly deluded. In UK law, "legal name" refers to the name you'd give when registering to vote, file your taxes, get married or do anything else official. So far as I can tell, "lawful name" is just an americanized form of the exact same thing, which is simply used over there in much the same way as they say "sidewalk" but we say "footpath" or "pavement".

I stick by my original comment, it's just another (admittedly much more minor) spin on the whole "they're all out to get you" claptrap that endlessly floats around the internet in various guises.

Of course, if the person you spoke to really knows what they're talking about, they should be able to give details of a specific case or cases that reached a court somewhere, sometime.
Old 19 August 2015, 10:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How much do you owe Madscoob
?
Old 19 August 2015, 10:16 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
How much do you owe Madscoob
?
nothing lol, he is one of the i ain't paying mt tv licence etc brigade and explained all the things you need to do to not have to pay, and then went on to explain about the name thing, i didn't know your name is registered and spelt correctly by the hopsital, your parents then become informants when they register you with the goverment. it actually says on your birth certificate INFORMANTS not parents, according to him anyway i can't find mine to check lol
Old 20 August 2015, 12:34 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was he out with his carers? Sounds like he missed his meds!
Old 20 August 2015, 04:53 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He sounds like the type that would wear a helmet cam deliberately out to catch motorists and who will then upload footage to YouTube.
Old 20 August 2015, 07:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Old 20 August 2015, 12:22 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madscoob
well i was told today that your name on your bank card is actually not your own, as your name is written like so Dave Smith not DAVE SMITH as per bank cards load agreements and all financial papers, this is your lawful name Dave Smith spelt with a capital to start then smallcase therefore the name on your bank cards etc is technically wrong as it's all capitals, a legal technicality which can and has been used in court to get people out of paying debts back, according to the person who told me, i just wondered if anyone knew any different

I'd call bollox on that.

The way you're name is represented on your bank card is irrelevant. There is no such concept as legal name versus lawful name in the UK.

Your name is as written on your birth certificate and as registered accordingly.
Old 20 August 2015, 07:14 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
nothing lol, he is one of the i ain't paying mt tv licence etc brigade and explained all the things you need to do to not have to pay, and then went on to explain about the name thing, i didn't know your name is registered and spelt correctly by the hopsital, your parents then become informants when they register you with the goverment. it actually says on your birth certificate INFORMANTS not parents, according to him anyway i can't find mine to check lol
You do have to laugh at these idiots who just regurgitate what they have read on the Internet, without ever simply checking basic facts - I suspect he believes in all the daft conspiracies that whirl around the Internet spewing the same **** that has been shown to be false many many times

A birth certificate lists the mother and father (and their occupation)

It has a section called Informant - but that is simply to record who has sat in front of the registrar and "informed" them of the mother and father

If these ***** can't even get a simple thing like this correct, what hope with the more complex topics in life

And to add, the hospital don't "register" or spell anything - what utter rubbish, you wonder how these people function on a day to day basis

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 August 2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 20 August 2015, 09:50 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

yep;

legal name = your full name as it appears on your birth certificate

lawfull name = comprised of your first pets name and your mothers surname.

Old 20 August 2015, 10:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
yep;

legal name = your full name as it appears on your birth certificate

But I am not sure this has any real relevance, my father was born Ronald George Keith - then surname

He has been known, as per a family tradition, as George for the past 72 years (I.e since he was born)

I believe all his banking and financial affairs are conducted under the name of George (after all that IS his name)

i am not sure what is listed on his passport, I will be interested to find out
Old 21 August 2015, 01:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Calling people by their middle names seems to be a dead tradition now...almost everyone I know from of my dad's or grandad's generation was known by their middle name. The first name normally being the name of their parent. I don't know anyone from my generation onwards who is known by their middle name (except the odd muhammad, for obvious reasons with it being such a common name).

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 August 2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 25 August 2015, 01:45 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Not sure about this. I have MR on one of my bank cards/accounts and the missus has MRS. Different banks, but I suspect this is rather common. We've had them for some time too. I think that after PPI the banks want to make sure all details are correct and this would be picked up and changed if the bank was in any doubt that a debt could not be chased as our legal names are not MR/MRS.
Old 26 August 2015, 12:56 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 154 Likes on 105 Posts

Legal name: Mr Dave Smith
Old 26 August 2015, 07:59 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

from the government website

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

"You don’t have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence."

from a legal website

http://findlaw.co.uk/law/family/othe...opics/388.html

"In UK law name changes are a legal issue, and as such there is no single formal office which processes changes of name. Effectively by law you are entitled to be called whatever you wish; however, you only acquire a name by usage.

Although technically you can change your name at any time, the reality is that most organisations will only accept official identification, and changing a passport or a driving licence requires you to have changed name in a formal way."

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/re...ing-your-name/

"If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.
"

"You do not need legal proof that you have changed your name, provided that you can be identified by your new chosen name. However, there are some circumstances, for example, applying for a passport, when additional evidence of the change of name is required. The evidence required varies depending on the purpose for which it is needed and can include:-
•a letter from a responsible person
•a public announcement
•a statutory declaration
•a deed poll."

as I said in my first post - your name is simply what you use as your name

I suspect the "confusion" comes from the US having a different law

if a bank can prove it was you, who signed a credit agreement - I suspect the name is irrelevant if they want to recover the debt
Old 26 August 2015, 01:52 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default know the difference

So as an example....if the mortgage company spelt your name wrong you are legally not obliged to pay it back, lol Bull$hit!!
Old 26 August 2015, 04:19 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I'll answer to almost anything and I have been called just about everything.