Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TDF

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2015, 08:38 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markjmd
That's easy to say, but different tactics suit different types of riders very differently. Froome is more of a time-trialist/all-rounder in the mould of Anquetil or LeMond than a pure out and out climber like Contador or Quintana, so planning a long stage race around a strategy of waiting until the last week in the mountains before making his big move(s) would more than likely turn out to be disastrous. You have to play to your strengths, which is exactly what Froome (and ultimately also Quintana) did.

I agree with everything you say but I wasn't suggesting that planning a last minute surge to the front was a sensible (or even a possible) strategy but that it might be the only way to avoid the allegations of drug taking.
Old 29 July 2015, 09:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The drug taking allegations stem from Froome power output figures don't they ?

Its quite amazing , now , any roadside bystanders can now see every competitors power instantly on their mobile phone from what I can gather
Old 29 July 2015, 01:47 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
I agree with everything you say but I wasn't suggesting that planning a last minute surge to the front was a sensible (or even a possible) strategy but that it might be the only way to avoid the allegations of drug taking.
Right, so in other words, aim for a place in the bottom half of the top 10, and you're sure not to have the finger of suspicion pointed at you? Great idea, I'm sure Sky will be all over that one.
Old 29 July 2015, 02:24 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Right, so in other words, aim for a place in the bottom half of the top 10, and you're sure not to have the finger of suspicion pointed at you? Great idea, I'm sure Sky will be all over that one.

What's the matter with you, is English your second language?
Old 29 July 2015, 05:51 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
What's the matter with you, is English your second language?
No, why, is it your third or fourth? You seem to be struggling with the principle that a racer in the TdF has the best chance of winning if he and his team ride according to tactics that suit his and their physical abilities best, and that by definition, if he and they don't ride to those tactics, his chances will be less than optimal. Or in other words, by deliberately not riding to tactics that best suit him, he's hobbling his chances of actually winning from the outset. In that case, why bother trying to win at all, or even turning up? Yes, fair enough, he won't get accused cheating, but then he won't have won anyway, so what's the point?
Old 29 July 2015, 06:38 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

No, why, is it your third or fourth? You seem to be struggling with the principle that a racer in the TdF has the best chance of winning if he and his team ride according to tactics that suit his and their physical abilities best, and that by definition, if he and they don't ride to those tactics, his chances will be less than optimal. Or in other words, by deliberately not riding to tactics that best suit him, he's hobbling his chances of actually winning from the outset. In that case, why bother trying to win at all, or even turning up? Yes, fair enough, he won't get accused cheating, but then he won't have won anyway, so what's the point?

If you want an arguement clear off and argue with someone else, I'm not interested.
Old 30 July 2015, 08:49 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Trying to determine someone's power at an instant is ridiculous. For a few seconds I can develop over a 1000 watts of power. Giving me a power to weight of over 10W/kg.
Then some muppet extrapolate that figure to create some bizarre doping allegation.
Old 30 July 2015, 12:15 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
Trying to determine someone's power at an instant is ridiculous. For a few seconds I can develop over a 1000 watts of power. Giving me a power to weight of over 10W/kg.
Then some muppet extrapolate that figure to create some bizarre doping allegation.
Assuming my maths is right, that works out to a peak power to weight ratio of 7462bhp/tonne. Awesome
Old 10 September 2016, 07:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well done Nairo

Vuelta