Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Cooks Knives

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2015, 11:23 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is probably 20yrs old and doesn't look pretty, full tang with ebony handle and I can't see or remember the makers name anymore, but the metal is like an old Samurai sword And once sharpened with a (whetstone ) I have to be VERY careful with it, sliced pieces off my fingernails a few times whilst sliceing garlic a little too quickly, thinking I'm some sort of professional chef.
Old 21 June 2015, 12:23 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw an advert for a JML knife that cut an engine in half and then he cut a tomato in half with ease, cost less than a couple of pints of Stella, I'm sure you'll find it on their website.
Old 21 June 2015, 03:07 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
At last someone who knows how to use a knife, i keep telling that lot above but to no avail.

Yeah i have a similar victorinox, it's sneaky in that it doesn't feel sharp until of course you slice your finger with the thing.

Used to use them for filleting salmon all the time, very flexible for it's size.
Whenever I've done Agency work or been away at outside events you can guarantee nearly all the brigade are using one of those. It's like the fall back knife to keep the posh ones clean for private functions. I think I've used my Henkels ones a dozen times, if that, with the exception of my paring knife.

If I was given the choice of one blade for the rest of my career it'd be a serrated Victorinox Pastry one, despite losing thumb tips with one. They just got the size, shape, etc bang on with them. You also don't get too hot and bothered if one gets knicked! Although people swapping their blunts with your sharp is f'ing annoying!!
Old 05 July 2015, 10:10 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I've bought some, after doing lots of research and looking at wustoph,shun,miyabi and midori I've decided I was going to get Damascus steel. German knives are 21degrees and Damascus are 16 so sharper but obviously blunt easier ...

Anyway I did narrow it down to shun and miyabi, miyabi being the pinnacle but some are 300 quid.... I had a brainwave and decided to revisit midori from richardsons of Sheffield.... Same deal Vg10 steel folded 6x times but these still retailed at 80 to 100 then I found them dirt cheap

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/catalogs...sult/?q=Midori

They don't stock them all but I got all they had..... I,lol get some miyabi one day but I,lol let you know what there like when I get them.....

And why the hell does the iPad type lol every time I want to put I,ll bah
Old 05 July 2015, 10:16 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Might be up for a couple of those; let us know what you think when they arrive!
Old 06 July 2015, 10:35 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Ok they arrived Matt, very nice well balanced and very very sharp, cut a carrot nearly by resting it on, did the paper test perfectly..

Cuts the bread as thin as ive seen it without tearing,, so for 30 quid buy 1

Lovely bamboo box they come in...
Old 06 July 2015, 03:43 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

That's got to be a misprice?
Old 06 July 2015, 05:50 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

i got 3 of em, snap em up quick lol

Its also worth getting the 1800 range too there good.

Cant stop cutting **** lol, guinea pigs must have had 2KG of chopped carrot so far
Old 06 July 2015, 06:10 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Bugger - they only have the bread knife left! Too late!
Old 07 July 2015, 09:13 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Guys if any of you want a Knife for a bargain price, they also have these

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/catalogs...result/?q=1839

ive ordered the parer cooks knife 20 and all purpose. ive searched high and low for them online and Robert Dyas is massively cheap and a bargain...

the Pitch

The Name

The 1839 collection celebrates Richardson Sheffield’s expertise and heritage by returning knife design and manufacturing to the heart of the steel industry. Each knife in this luxury range has been 100% made in Sheffield by master craftsmen, and hand finished to exacting quality standards. Named after the year that Richardson Sheffield first began manufacturing knives in Sheffield, the 1839 collection celebrates the craftsmanship of the past, and helps to ensure that knife making in Sheffield is kept alive and well for the future.

The Blade

The blade on each 1839 knife is made from Chrome Molybdenum Vanadium (MoV) High Carbon Stainless Steel. The MoV in the steel enhances the knife's stain resistantance, while the High Carbon content provides a much harder and stronger blade. The extra carbon also gives longer lasting resilience to dulling, as carbon gives the steel a harder finish.

All Knives are measured with a Rockwell Hardness Rating. The higher the Rockwell Hardness number, the harder the material. The British Standard for knives is a rating of 52HRC (or 48HRC on serrated blades). The 1839 range are all 55HRC which is achieved by adding more carbon to the blade and then ice cooling the steel after the initial heat treatment during the manufacturing process.

A Precision Taper Ground Blade is the highest specification type of blade on the market, and as the name suggests; is tapered from the top of the blade spine to the edge. This gives the finest edge possible, allowing the blade to glide through food with ease and with little pull.

The Handle

A full stainless steel tang blade runs the full length of the handle for exceptional strength, resilience and control. The two halves of the handle are then held tightly in place with small rivets that match the angle of the blade. The traditional rivet design pays homage to the traditional style that is the classic trademark of Sheffield knife makers. An aluminium bolster creates a useful finger guard, whilst providing a centre of balance and strength.

Each 1839 knife has a luxury Rosewood handle, a distinctive and richly hued timber with a beautiful grain, each one as unique as the cut of wood. Each handle has been naturally sculpted to be beautiful to hold and to gain it's own individual patina over the years.

Guarantee

The 1839 range comes with a 30 year guarantee against manufacturing defaults. That’s how confident we are in the quality. If something doesn’t come up to scratch then we’ll gladly change it, but we’re not expecting to hear from you any time soon! In the unlikely event that you do find fault with the workmanship or the materials within the guarantee period, Richardson Sheffield promise to repair or replace it free of charge

EDIT

Just spoke to them, nothing on the system to re-stock however keep your eye on site..... so Buy the 1839s whilst u can if your interested...

Last edited by Littleted; 07 July 2015 at 10:11 AM.