Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2015, 12:24 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
57. !!? That's even older than Pissy

You definitely qualify for the diesel version
yes, thanks for that lol. To be truthful, did look at the CTDI and wondered if it could be remapped as my PD golf was ? That was Revod and took 130 brake up to 180 with loads of torque . And still 45 mpg
Old 26 May 2015, 12:27 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't drive like a Celica mate.

Arguably the best front drive chassis ever on a road car.
Old 26 May 2015, 12:51 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

No doubt it would Devildog . But from an exterior pOV, it reminds me of one
Old 27 May 2015, 06:37 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kevo10
yes, thanks for that lol. To be truthful, did look at the CTDI and wondered if it could be remapped as my PD golf was ? That was Revod and took 130 brake up to 180 with loads of torque . And still 45 mpg
The standard clutch struggles to cope with the power as it is. Re-mapping kills them very quickly, along with the DMF.
Old 28 May 2015, 03:00 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't be too hung up on Prem Editions tbh. Just buy the cleanest you can for the money. Prem Editions only have seats/carpet/brake calliper embossed as major differences. You can purchase any of these items second hand for the look and save money.

I stuck with prefacelift versions as I preferred the look. Headlights are a bit meh but it's a sunny days motor so not fussed. I'd avoid Milano Red. I've got one and, despite best efforts, it faded in spots. Cosmic Grey really suits them and you can get a clean non-Prem Edition for £3750-4000 and have change for tyres/servicing and maybe an LSD if you fancy it. Mine's standard power but I have an MFactory diff fitted and it's far better in all conditions than my two previous ones that didn't have them.

Wait until the new one comes out as it will force FN2 prices down and they are far nicer day-to-day than the dated EP3 just not quite as much fun out-the-box.
Old 28 May 2015, 06:09 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
Both the gear box and clutch were amazing and tight - made it a pleasure to drive. The handling was incredible, no mods required. Light, go-kart, pin-sharp steering. People say they have no torque, but it overtook very easily when in the VTEC zone. And when the five LEDs light up as the revs get higher, it's pretty cool. A different feel to a turbo but still a buzz nonetheless. Ultra reliable engine. I had the standard 18" wheels. The ride was very harsh, and would be even more so with the 19" RAGE wheels. Lovely interior - practical, great layout of buttons and controls, very futuristic looking dash, good standard stereo/speakers, massive glovebox and cavernous boot, seats fold completely flat, really comfortable Alcantara bucket seats, big red Start button.
I had an FN2 on lease for 2.5 yrs. I found the gearbox disappointing tbh. Nice location but I had the common problem with the synchromesh on 3rd which meant it felt like it went in but didn't. The clutch also whined when shifting fast near the red line. The red start button did make me laugh - you still have to put the key in the ignition and turn it plus it only starts the engine doesn't stop it. Bit of an afterthought tbh.

Engine sounds great in VTEC. Really quiet in cabin, especially on long journeys. It's the only car I've ever owned where I got the claimed mpg (31) on a daily basis. Obviously if you drive in the VTEC zone much, it will be considerably less, but on motorway journeys when just kept at 75mph in 6th gear, it's easy to get 42mpg+... seriously!
I did like the VTEC sound - was quite addictive and had some good comments from passengers. However it was very much a lot of sound and not a lot of go. On your own ok but add a passenger and luggage and you might as well be paddling in treacle. The best analogy I ever heard was "all fart and no poo". I averaged 28mpg over 25k miles only 2.5mpg over the MK2 RS I moved to. The lack of torque means you have to drive around at 3k rpm plus. That same lack of torque especially in 6th gear means its not good at motorway cruising where you want to speed up to get into a gap etc.

Downsides are: harsh ride; really wide wing mirrors make an already wide car even wider - not good for narrow country lanes; if you fold the front seats forward to access the rear, the seats reset to their default setting, so you have to p!ss about getting them back to how you want them - don't know why Honda didn't sort this out!; massive blind spots from front pillars when cornering; poor rear visibility due to the positioning of the spoiler.
Extremely harsh for the handling it achieves. Mine understeered very easily when pushed - partly due to the stiff ride as nowhere to go. That seat feature was annoying - I always made rear passengers get in the other side

Don't get me wrong it was a very good value for money - at the time they could be had sub £18k new. That's why they sold so well. But the lack of low down torque, needing to drive round at high revs and poor traction (in first the wheels start spinning as it takes so long to get into the powerband by which time you have to shortshift into 2nd and repeat into 3rd) annoyed me and was glad I leased one rather than bought outright.
Old 30 May 2015, 09:59 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I always made rear passengers get in the other side.

Yep, me too! Think I only ever folded my seat two or three times during my ownership!
Old 31 May 2015, 12:20 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I tested one when they first came out; the engine does need ragging but it sounds good above 6krpm.
The chassis is a bit wayward; grippy front end, light, skittish back end.
The gearbox is superb like all Hondas; I love the gearstick on the dash (we had the same in our VW van!).
The interior is a bit flaky; looks sporty but wears quicky.
Not that quick by today's standards but when they came out, little could touch them.
Like Imprezas, they carry a bit of a chav image but look past it and they are good cars.
Old 31 May 2015, 04:07 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Certainly gave me more info than i was expecting. Really am stuck now. Impreza blob or Civic?