Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Where do people get off?

Old 02 April 2015, 12:01 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do people get off?

https://www.facebook.com/KFC.uk/posts/10152735558632647

Sorry it's a Facebook link for those not on there.

Basically a member of staff was mocked/abused/made to feel uncomfortable (call it what you will) in her place of work, presumably from reading the original letter of complaint by another customer, because she has Down's Syndrome.

Usually I am not a fan of people getting offended on behalf of others, but in this case, good on the customer for speaking out against staff abuse. From my years working in the retail sector, it's not all that common for customers to speak out for staff.

Putting aside that this particular lady has DS, it is simply not acceptable imo, for people to think it is ok to go about either abusing staff in their place of work, or making fun of them, and it's even worse if other staff were not only not doing something about it, but laughing themselves (assuming that part is true).

From personal experience, the retail sector is particularly bad for allowing staff to be 'victims' of abuse from customers, presumably because their custom is worth more than the wellbeing/feelings of the people that work hard for them. So, if KFC do act on this, and perhaps strengthen their policy around not tolerating staff abuse, good on them and if only other companies in this sector would follow suit.
Old 02 April 2015, 07:05 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

There is a certain 'type' who thinks that because they are spending a few quid somewhere it gives them right to throw their weight around.

The customer is always right mantra helps them.
Old 02 April 2015, 12:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The worst abuse I EVER saw was by the manageress of a toyshop to a young female staff member. It was embarrassing.

I put a stop to it, and contacted the owner, a councillor, afterwards, to alert him to it.
Old 02 April 2015, 12:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
https://www.facebook.com/KFC.uk/posts/10152735558632647

Sorry it's a Facebook link for those not on there.

Basically a member of staff was mocked/abused/made to feel uncomfortable (call it what you will) in her place of work, presumably from reading the original letter of complaint by another customer, because she has Down's Syndrome.

Usually I am not a fan of people getting offended on behalf of others, but in this case, good on the customer for speaking out against staff abuse. From my years working in the retail sector, it's not all that common for customers to speak out for staff.

Putting aside that this particular lady has DS, it is simply not acceptable imo, for people to think it is ok to go about either abusing staff in their place of work, or making fun of them, and it's even worse if other staff were not only not doing something about it, but laughing themselves (assuming that part is true).

From personal experience, the retail sector is particularly bad for allowing staff to be 'victims' of abuse from customers, presumably because their custom is worth more than the wellbeing/feelings of the people that work hard for them. So, if KFC do act on this, and perhaps strengthen their policy around not tolerating staff abuse, good on them and if only other companies in this sector would follow suit.
Good news, Lisa.

In this time and age, at least real life places are getting more and more inclined to notice the abuse and do something about it. With customer abuse in particular, some GP surgeries have a notice up on the wall, saying that abuse on staff from the patients won't be tolerated, although some people continue to abuse the receptionists and other medical professionals with the excuse of their level of physical/mental distress.

I don't mind anyone feeling offended on behalf of anyone, personally. That's because I know that someone may be suffering in silence with the abuse due to their lack of confidence in the system, and they may need their hurt to be aired by someone else. I'd ask the abused if they themselves felt offended, if in any doubt. Good on that customer to grass the abuser up.
Old 02 April 2015, 10:43 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that just shows the mental age of the other staff

Good on the customer for sticking up for the member of staff.

Glad it wasn't me that was the customer, I can't stand people picking on someone with a condition like that. In life you have thing's to cope with and get over, but if you have downs, you have the ridicule and **** taking from birth. FFS why can't people just grow up and work alongside them.

at least they have a job and are trying to earn a living, shame that more druggies and dole dwellers don't try working for a living.....
Old 03 April 2015, 11:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Virtually everywhere now has signs warning that abuse of staff won't be tolerated. I know schools have at their offices...to stop parents, believe it or not!

But what do we expect, really, when abuse and bullying are now a national sport and entertainment?
Old 03 April 2015, 11:36 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by alcazar
Virtually everywhere now has signs warning that abuse of staff won't be tolerated. I know schools have at their offices...to stop parents, believe it or not!

But what do we expect, really, when abuse and bullying are now a national sport and entertainment?
We used to have those very signs, then they were taken down. Make of that what you will.....
Old 03 April 2015, 11:59 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Regarding someone else complaining on behalf of someone else, in some workplaces, whistleblowing is part of their policy, which allows people to raise wrongdoing issues, even if they are'nt the ones that have experienced it. Ok, it has a potential to be misused by incompetent and power tripping managers as well as by jealous colleagues, but those 'misuse' incidents do not occur that much, because whistleblown issue gets investigated first before anyone is suspended or terminated.

We have just had a policeman suspended and arrested in North Wales with suspected paedophilia. His bail has been refused. I wonder whether that was a case where someone blew a whistle from inside, I don't know. It just happened so rapidly that it could well be.

I brought this in, because the unacceptable/unethical attitude/behaviour towards anyone out there, work's service user or towards work colleagues is taken very seriously, and an observation or a complain from a third party is formally taken into account.

Last edited by Turbohot; 03 April 2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03 April 2015, 01:04 PM
Lisawrx

I don't disagree completely with complaining on behalf of others, I just believe there are occasions where people end up creating a situation out of nothing, making a problem where there wasn't one.

It happens within society whereby people think others would be offended by something, even without knowing they are (or not), the end result being a load of bad feeling between people, that may be completely unnecessary as those on the receiving end of the bad feeling, may not have even personally had a problem in the first place. Examples such as banning of Christmas Trees, calling Christmas by a different name so on. I'm using friends as examples, but I don't know anyone from a different religion or culture that has complained about such things, and there is a good chance they don't have a problem, but somebody comes along and complains on behalf of them, and hey presto, the public is whipped up into a rage about it.

On a more personal level, an example of interfering resulting in a load of hassle for nothing. I was serving a lady at work on the tills. She was buying 1 item, a small lamp, so I placed it in a small bag for her, which was perfectly sized for it. The lady was paying and all seemed ok, until for some still unknown reason, the woman behind her took offence to the size of bag I gave her. Without going into every small detail, she kicked off a good one, probably embarrassing the woman I was serving, certainly did me, said if I worked for her she'd have sacked me on the spot, she was going to write to head office about me, then asked to speak to a supervisor. Management then had to spend time investigating this, thankfully for me, CCTV and witness statements backed up that I did nothing wrong (it even turned out she had been unpleasant on the shop floor too). But all that time wasted and upset caused because of something that was nothing to do with her. A problem out of nothing, as I even offered the original customer a larger bag as a result of all this kicking off, which she declined, and went on her way.

Those are the sort of reasons why I feel people should just be careful what they complain about when it is on behalf of others. By all means defend people if they seem like they need it, but just be as sure as possible that there is a problem in the first place.
Old 03 April 2015, 05:04 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I don't disagree completely with complaining on behalf of others, I just believe there are occasions where people end up creating a situation out of nothing, making a problem where there wasn't one.

It happens within society whereby people think others would be offended by something, even without knowing they are (or not), the end result being a load of bad feeling between people, that may be completely unnecessary as those on the receiving end of the bad feeling, may not have even personally had a problem in the first place. Examples such as banning of Christmas Trees, calling Christmas by a different name so on. I'm using friends as examples, but I don't know anyone from a different religion or culture that has complained about such things, and there is a good chance they don't have a problem, but somebody comes along and complains on behalf of them, and hey presto, the public is whipped up into a rage about it.
That's terrible! I suppose it was an isolated incident, and perhaps the complainer was suffering from some mental health issues. I mean, Christmas tree is a Christmas tree FFS! You can't call is a mango tree, guava tree, Eid tree or a Diwali tree, God! I'm not saying that anyone's mental illness is an excuse to abuse people. Not at all.

Only a few months ago in our local Tesco a 24 year-old Sikh dentist was fatally attacked by some "This is England" type of another local but unfortunately a racist white young man. The attack was totally unprovoked. The victim was just walking about, buying some foods for himself, when that attacker ran charging towards him, shouting racist names on top of his voice and attacked him with his machete on his hands! The victim wasn't a local, but he had come to work in the area. Apparently the attacker suffered from a mental illness, and recognised anyone with brown skin as either an illegal immigrant, terrorist or perhaps a nasty alien from entirely different planet. He also must have felt that he was God-sent to save Britain from this ethnic invasion. Poor Sikh lad can't ever work in future now, as he suffered life changing injuries on his hands. So, yeah, some are that irrational because their minds are just warped; perhaps pathologically.

On a more personal level, an example of interfering resulting in a load of hassle for nothing. I was serving a lady at work on the tills. She was buying 1 item, a small lamp, so I placed it in a small bag for her, which was perfectly sized for it. The lady was paying and all seemed ok, until for some still unknown reason, the woman behind her took offence to the size of bag I gave her. Without going into every small detail, she kicked off a good one, probably embarrassing the woman I was serving, certainly did me, said if I worked for her she'd have sacked me on the spot, she was going to write to head office about me, then asked to speak to a supervisor. Management then had to spend time investigating this, thankfully for me, CCTV and witness statements backed up that I did nothing wrong (it even turned out she had been unpleasant on the shop floor too). But all that time wasted and upset caused because of something that was nothing to do with her. A problem out of nothing, as I even offered the original customer a larger bag as a result of all this kicking off, which she declined, and went on her way.

Those are the sort of reasons why I feel people should just be careful what they complain about when it is on behalf of others. By all means defend people if they seem like they need it, but just be as sure as possible that there is a problem in the first place.

Some people are just very irrational, Lisa. I'm glad that this incident got investigated and the third party complainer came out as a loser at the end. People like her must like to create some drama, which could be due to their boring life, low self esteem and their need for attention. Off their trolley, obviously.

Sadly, retail seems to take a lot of stick from some very unreasonable customers. Catering/Hospitality is another one. So many Italian, Indian, Chinese and Turkish food places take so much sh7t from discriminating, condescending and racist customers that it seems unreal! Not fair. I don't know how come hairdressers and beauticians get away with that. I bet they must unintentionally ruin some people's hair and looks. I wonder if they get customer abuse to this extent?

Last edited by Turbohot; 03 April 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06 April 2015, 07:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

There's one got off in emergency landing, and got arrested.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10148321.html

One born every bleddy minute, everywhere!
Old 07 April 2015, 12:00 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Turbohot
There's one got off in emergency landing, and got arrested.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10148321.html

One born every bleddy minute, everywhere!
Seems it's not only Jeremy Clarkson that gets mad when hungry.

Seriously though, some people really do need to get a grip when it comes to how they behave. Taking 'the customer's always right' way too far.
Old 07 April 2015, 12:13 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Seems it's not only Jeremy Clarkson that gets mad when hungry.

Seriously though, some people really do need to get a grip when it comes to how they behave. Taking 'the customer's always right' way too far.
LOL and exactly.