Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Brand the Publicity Whore

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2014, 07:20 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Mattee, you never really answered my question. Russell Brand maybe as you put it, overall a force for good, but does the same apply to the PR industry?

Overall and globally, would you say the PR industry is a force for good?
That is impossible to quantify. Some is good, some isn't. I don't really get your line of attack?
Is it because you feel your overpaid profession is righteous enough to squander a vast amount of public money? I feel that's what you're getting at.

However, without PR, charities would die, health services would suffer and so on.

Your keenness to try and label is bad is another over generalisation that betrays your almost total lack of business acumen.
Old 23 December 2014, 07:52 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
That is impossible to quantify. Some is good, some isn't. I don't really get your line of attack?
Is it because you feel your overpaid profession is righteous enough to squander a vast amount of public money? I feel that's what you're getting at.

However, without PR, charities would die, health services would suffer and so on.

Your keenness to try and label is bad is another over generalisation that betrays your almost total lack of business acumen.

Mattee, why do you keep using emotive terms like 'attack'? I'm simply asking you a question about your industry. And continuously saying that I lack 'business acumen' is irrelevent as I don't run a business, I don't claim to have any business acumen and never have.

It's a bit like me replying to anything you say by constantly repeating that you can't resuscitate a 500g premature neonate who has just suffered a cardiac arrest or perform an emergency tracheostomy for somebody who has just had their face smashed in a car accident, or insert a chest drain in somebody who has just blown a lung after being stabbed.

This is not the line of work you are in so it would be stupid for me to try and counter everything you say with such a retort, and that's why I never have btw.

So could you kindly drop the nonsense about me being a crap businessman, that is a given and is why I'm not one!

So, I'll ask again if I may? On the whole, globally, do you think the industry of PR has done more good or more harm?
Old 23 December 2014, 08:02 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

No I won't answer because there is no answer. A giant oil company using PR to lobby governments isn't good.
A charity using it to highlight the plight of dying thousands is good.
A small business using it as a more effective way of advertising is probably somewhere in the middle.
Just like some doctors are arrogant tossers clearly in it for the money, whereas many are some of the nicest people I know.

Admit it though, you wanted to impress us with your little medical paragraph; you could just call a neonate a new born couldn't you? But we all know what jargon is for don't we?
Old 23 December 2014, 08:35 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Interesting and relevant;

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30585540
Old 23 December 2014, 10:23 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog

2) Public finances are funded by tax payers.

To a large extent yes. But its not just taxation that provides the funding for government.

3) We all pay tax

No we don't. Take those on benefits, .

Just a couple of things from me.

On 2). Where else do the government generate income from? I understand local authorities "invest" budgets in banks/foreign countries, etc.

On 3) If those on benefits spend money in shops they pay tax in the form of VAT. Granted they are technically just recycling a tax back into the system, but they are paying tax albeit not in the sense a private sector employee does from a company who's income is solely from the private sector......if that is at all possible. I think Private/Public finances are so intrisincly linked you could make a succesful arguement either way as to which is the most/least evil.

In my opinion, money is all bollocks anyway. There will always be money. Always be winners and losers. It's been happening since the concept was.......can't help it......coined. I've benefitted from people in the finance sector so I can't bash it. I don't like this rigging malarky but I know it's not all people in the industry at it. Fair play for taking the time out to explaina bit about it all to some of us interested neutrals.....
Old 24 December 2014, 07:47 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
No I won't answer because there is no answer. A giant oil company using PR to lobby governments isn't good.
A charity using it to highlight the plight of dying thousands is good.
A small business using it as a more effective way of advertising is probably somewhere in the middle.
Just like some doctors are arrogant tossers clearly in it for the money, whereas many are some of the nicest people I know.

Admit it though, you wanted to impress us with your little medical paragraph; you could just call a neonate a new born couldn't you? But we all know what jargon is for don't we?

Firstly, Merry Christmas Mattee.

I'm sure there are doctors who are arrogant tossers, I've met quite a few myself. However that is not entirely relevant to what I'm asking you.

PR might do some good in certain situations but the question I'm asking you is on the whole, on balance, does it have a positive role in the world or negative?

When you think about PR by big oil, pharma, fast food companies, alcohol, tobacco, gambling, arms, finance, banking, insurance etc do you think it plays a useful role other than to line the pockets of the elite?

To me PR is a massive tool used by big business and govt to maintain the very same status quo that you despise ie ponzi scheme economics and enslaving people in debt by brainwashing them into consumerism.

I'm surprised you can't see the irony.
Old 24 December 2014, 08:47 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

The trick is not to meet demand but create demand, PR day one.

It's the reason people walk past the practical, well spaced, well equipped, cheaper Mondeo to buy the equivalent 3 series BMW that costs many thousands more, is smaller, and common as muck unlike the rare Mondeo.
The BMW even has a greater resale value despite them being more plentiful than the Mondeo and no more reliable and has higher running costs.

In case unclear i feel that PR etc is responsible for the greed in the world and is the downward path of society. It's what fuels the bankers to be ******* and people to think the iPhone is a necessity.

Matt I'm sure you're the exception to the rule.

Last edited by Carnut; 24 December 2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 24 December 2014, 09:26 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'm not getting anywhere here but Merry Christmas you bunch of ermmmm... people!
Old 24 December 2014, 11:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I'm sure there are doctors who are arrogant tossers, I've met quite a few myself.
That would be in the mirror
Old 25 December 2014, 06:12 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

PR is basically propaganda. We've all got to each make something of a faustian pact to survive in the market though.
Old 23 June 2015, 09:25 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Russell Brand, the multi-millionaire, at an anti-austerity march is seen for what he truely is, a massive bell end and a hypocrite!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-10335823.html
Old 23 June 2015, 10:18 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

To be fair, even God has some haters, so he's only a confused human; like many others. Not that he was this nation's sweetheart or anything.
Old 23 June 2015, 10:50 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go as far as comparing him to God, though he does have a messianic complex to his name.
Old 23 June 2015, 10:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
Russell Brand, the multi-millionaire, at an anti-austerity march is seen for what he truely is, a massive bell end and a hypocrite!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-10335823.html
Would you rather that no one of any power/influence/wealth stood up for people powerless and less fortunate than yourself (and themselves)

Lest they be branded a hypocrite
Old 23 June 2015, 11:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thinks he's fooking Jesus more like , doesn't seem have any bread to hand out though
Old 23 June 2015, 11:28 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Would you rather that no one of any power/influence/wealth stood up for people powerless and less fortunate than yourself (and themselves)

Lets not kid ourselves, he's standing up for no one but himself, he plays to the masses dishing out all the usual soundbites against the establishment but in actual fact it is of little substance and ultimately self promoting.
Old 24 June 2015, 12:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

I suspect I know the answer to your question
Old 24 June 2015, 07:42 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

His whole (flawed) ideology went down the pan when he told people to vote for Milliband. A total contradiction to most his scatty rants.

Got a feeling he'll go into self destruct soon. It's a pity he can't focus on a few core issues that are wrong in the Uk, rather than promote random anarchy. At least he'd be of some benefit, instead of being a waste of Internet bandwidth.
Old 24 June 2015, 01:37 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Got a feeling he'll go into self destruct soon. It's a pity he can't focus on a few core issues that are wrong in the Uk, rather than promote random anarchy. At least he'd be of some benefit, instead of being a waste of Internet bandwidth.

I would pay good money to see him fed to starving lions in an amphitheatre. That would hardly be a waste of internet bandwidth!
Old 24 June 2015, 04:49 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
I would pay good money to see him fed to starving lions in an amphitheatre. That would hardly be a waste of internet bandwidth!
He did get a good mauling the last time he was on Question Time and was rendered speechless which is some feat!!