Notices
News & Announcements Official ScoobyNet News and Announcements. Check here regularly to be kept up to date.

Threatening behaviour and stalking on SN

Old 10 November 2009, 10:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Threatening behaviour and stalking on SN

Dear all.

I'm posting this on behalf of Stu and the entire SN webteam. Please read and take heed of the following.

It has come to the attention of the webteam that some arguments between members on this BBS have resulted in an exchange whereby threats (implicit or explicit) have been made either publicly and/or via the PM system.

There have also been attempts to obtain personal information about members via explicit requests on the board, or via deception e.g. by an individual posing as a buyer in the marketplace. Whether such information would be subsequently used in any altercation, or is just being used to undermine the anonymity of the poster, or imply menacing intent is irrelevant.

SN will NOT tolerate ANY threatening behavior on the public boards or via PM. Nor will we tolerate any attempts to obtain personal details about posters for any purposes other than to conduct a genuine transaction in the Marketplace.

Individuals found to be conducting themselves in a manner deemed by the web team to be threatening or malicious will receive an instant lifetime ban. Those attempting to obtain and/or circulate personal information on other users of Scoobynet, without legitimate reason, in a way that might cause distress or harm to that individual will also be banned for life.

The webteam will not enter into any correspondence with people attempting to justify threatening behaviour e.g. "the other party started it". It takes two to tango and if you issue counter-threats you become part of the problem and will be dealt with accordingly. If you receive something you deem to be threatening, RTM and leave it to us to investigate.

This is an internet forum; there is simply NO justification for conduct of a threatening or menacing nature.

SN will fully co-operate with any requests by the authorities (e.g. police, courts) for the release of information relevant to criminal or civil investigations that may arise from such conduct.

If any individuals banned for such conduct continue to attempt to intimidate members of SN (for example by using alias accounts) they will be reported to their ISP and SN may pursue further legal action at the discretion of the webmaster.

Threads or posts seeking to rejoice in the banning of an individual for the above reasons will be removed as they will only exacerbate the situation.

Thanks.

- The SN webteam.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 14 November 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10 October 2012, 01:21 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Life's hard enough - Let's all work together to make SN better.

JODS

Working towards a screenprint where I am the final poster on every forum [Even if only for a while]
Old 10 October 2012, 08:13 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Individuals found to be conducting themselves in a manner deemed by the web team to be threatening or malicious will receive an instant lifetime ban. Those attempting to obtain and/or circulate personal information on other users of Scoobynet, without legitimate reason, in a way that might cause distress or harm to that individual will also be banned for life.

This is an internet forum; there is simply NO justification for conduct of a threatening or menacing nature.

Wishing people die of cancer obviously is OK then?

Calling people ******* idiots, telling them to **** off, etc is also ok?

Playing the race card to shut a thread down is OK?

It's all right having these rules, they make perfect sense - but you have to live by them or they become a joke!

Even, consistent, impartial moderation would be a refreshing change...

Last edited by The Zohan; 10 October 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10 October 2012, 08:42 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

You knock the nail on the head mate.
Old 10 October 2012, 11:32 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

It seems I`ve missed something. I need to read more
Old 10 October 2012, 05:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by The Zohan

Wishing people die of cancer obviously is OK then?

Calling people ******* idiots, telling them to **** off, etc is also ok?

Playing the race card to shut a thread down is OK?
Hey Paul - no it's most definiately not ok and this has been dealt with by Webby!

PS be grateful that some of the webteam are more forgiving than me: If I had my way, I'd ban the lot of you!
Old 10 October 2012, 06:31 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno what has gone on to cause this response but if it's for the greater good of individuals & S/Net then I welcome it with open arms.

I really appreciate this forum and the many characters one comes across so let's all do our level best to keep it the No.1 Subaru forum in the world!
Old 10 October 2012, 06:47 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Agree with the OP. This is just t'internet ffs, some people need to take it all a lot less seriously.

TX.
Old 10 October 2012, 07:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Agree with the OP. This is just t'internet ffs, some people need to take it all a lot less seriously.

TX.
Exactly!

BUT

If I could tell you some of the crap we have had to deal with in the past mate, you'd probably leave here in disgust! That's why I (and the other mods) have to post as an active member as well as a mod: if you just deal with the crap it becomes corrosive and you start to hate the place! My one piece of advice about using this or any other BBS is "engage with the stuff and the people you like and ignore the rest - just not worth the aggro!"

I think the issue that Paul raised relates more to the policy post on dealing with people you deem to be trolling rather than threatening behaviour and stalking, but there are some pretty extreme examples in both categories!
Old 10 October 2012, 08:51 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
It seems I`ve missed something. I need to read more
Me too
Old 10 October 2012, 08:58 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Wise words NS04
Old 10 October 2012, 09:00 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

These people must have some serious testosterone levels to take it that far!
Old 10 October 2012, 09:15 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Wise words NS04
Probably borrowed them from someone else.
Old 10 October 2012, 09:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Probably borrowed them from someone else.
Quiet, you!
Old 12 October 2012, 08:04 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

I am a moderator on an e-commerce business forum, I can vouch for the job becoming hateful at times.
It's then that you need to sit back and think of why you are part of a forum, im my case it is to supply business knowledge to help newbies get a grasp and also to remove spam from rogue suppliers to stop newbies being taken in by their speil.
Dealing with outrageous trolls will always be part of the job unfortunately.
Old 15 October 2012, 02:17 PM
banzai2009
Scooby Regular

Problem with forums is people get the big man sindrome. Hiding behind a computer tryin to act hard upsetting people . It happens on every forum one certain forum it's the owners that cause it which is totally unacceptable.

Agreed its totally wrong but you can't blame some people getting there back up when people DELIBRITLY try and cause arguments and faults with people and there cars.

You can tell someone to f off face to face and listen to there tone on a forum f off means f off that's why so many arguments are caused.

The scammers need stopping ASAP as its getting to be beyond a joke as every week there's someone doing it

But I hope these rules are actually enforced correctly and properly as a forums for help and banter not insults ( aggressive ones) and violent threats..

What I find funny is most read people are middle age men or supposinly grown up lol
Old 23 October 2012, 11:44 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banzai2009
It one certain forum it's the owners that cause it which is totally unacceptable.

Agreed its totally wrong but you can't blame some people getting there back up when people DELIBRITLY try and cause arguments and faults with people and there cars.
what is this certain forum you speak of. It would be nice to know so I can avoid these kind of people. Can you send me some info via PM please.

There are a few people on here who are quite rude. I was called a retard just the other day by a certain someone who also thinks he is a tough guy sat behind his keyboard. Would love to meet this guy in the ring one day and see how long he lasts on his feet. This is not a threat of violence towards the guy I'm just saying I would like to see if his ***** are as big as he thinks they are.
Old 23 October 2012, 12:04 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

LOL.

So…. Your NOT already on the other rude forum mentioned above, but want to know which one it is? Why? If your not on there and not being bothered why bother yourself?

Surely if your not being bothered by it now by nature your already staying away! Odd

Not trying to be awkward just pointing out the obvious!

(He says….. having written this safely behind his keyboard)
Old 23 October 2012, 02:21 PM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

I do agree with what your saying brownpants but I'm thinking it may possibly be a regional forum banzai is talking about and I'm not too far away from sunderland myself. I'm new to all this subaru forum malarkey and wouldn't mind joining a local club or forum to meet up with like minded subaru enthusiasts. Does that make sense ?
Old 23 October 2012, 02:29 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Completely makes sense!
Old 23 October 2012, 03:06 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Group hug!
Old 22 November 2012, 12:35 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Group hug!
The two of you need to meet up somewhere, form a circle and then give yourselves a good pat on the back
Old 04 December 2012, 09:00 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PERMABAN FTW!
Old 21 December 2012, 04:24 PM
scrote1234
Scooby Regular

just stumbled across this..and dont think its just an SN issue its becoming more widespread..there are certain members on here and other forums who just make it their business to stir sh@@ and cause problems without thinking what or who they affect..they make threats without realising the consequences for themselves and others..scammers seem to rule the roost having multiple IP addresses and user names and sending out threats etc..then u have the snakes ,,those who try and get in on the act saying what everyone wants to here makin them sound more important than they are .

rant over lol
Old 21 December 2012, 06:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

shut it you ****** lol
Old 21 December 2012, 06:58 PM
scrote1234
Scooby Regular

u shut it lol
Old 21 December 2012, 07:07 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

I couldn't resist, especially as u call yourself a ******
Old 21 December 2012, 08:18 PM
scrote1234
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
nee bother mate ..im the biggest ****** goin
Old 21 December 2012, 08:28 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
I had to bite my tongue earlier
Old 31 December 2012, 01:26 PM
t444tch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banzai2009
Problem with forums is people get the big man sindrome. Hiding behind a computer tryin to act hard upsetting people . It happens on every forum one certain forum it's the owners that cause it which is totally unacceptable.

You can tell someone to f off face to face and listen to there tone on a forum f off means f off that's why so many arguments are caused.

The scammers need stopping ASAP as its getting to be beyond a joke as every week there's someone doing it

But I hope these rules are actually enforced correctly and properly as a forums for help and banter not insults ( aggressive ones) and violent threats..

What I find funny is most read people are middle age men or supposinly grown up lol
I wonder what the average age is of members on here??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Threatening behaviour and stalking on SN