Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Cold weather enjoying Bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2017, 12:09 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not running 205 heads, full ej207 V7, but with td04. EJ207 heads have bigger ports on the inlet ports so I don't know, having something to do with that?

Have a VF30 in the garage waiting.. and now because of all the problems im having and having to put lots of the engine compartment apart in that sector, think I'll change that too. That turbo has over half the mileage as to the td04 in now, so lets check that out too.

Last edited by Shakal; 03 January 2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04 January 2017, 06:42 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

TD04 off, VF30 in. Well in tomorrow I hope.

O2 away, waiting for new one.

Well there is no questions anymore about why my coolant was leaking so bad. The whole damn reservoir was broken in half. Thank you Mishimoto.
Old 06 January 2017, 08:58 AM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Yeah.. Everything done. Cranked up the engine, everything seems fine but oh.. The turbo oil return line seems to be leaking, the sob that is a bag of dicks to place correctly in the first place.

So.. AGAIN SHALL WE.

Old 06 January 2017, 07:08 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

It's alive again. Sort of.

The gasline below the intake seems to be leaking bad at this very cold weather, making the car pretty much undrivable. This would've been a pretty easy fix when everything was out of place, but the motivation to remove EVERYTHING again is pretty low..

And seems theres no other way to access that line so.. Maybe ISIS will hire me. Let's make a Mad Max version Impreza and join the fight for a cause.

Other than that, works great. Of course needs a new tune, but doesnt knock right now when driving it easy and AFR pretty much in order at this low of boost.

Last edited by Shakal; 06 January 2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08 January 2017, 04:58 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

A little MAF scaling and tweaking, tightening some heat expanded clamps and other stuff.. Car works great, no knock now and ready for "final" tune.

Drove a hour in the snow today. I promise, all rocks and studs were collected with the side windows and panels.

Last edited by Shakal; 08 January 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09 January 2017, 12:01 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brilliant thread and great car. Please keep it up. Subscribed.
Old 09 January 2017, 12:18 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate.

The car has been under a lot of road tune for a couple of days now..
Slight problem: Getting a full rev pull in 3rd gear.. well let's say at these restricted areas is pretty hard now in the winter. After 4000rpm, cabin tends to have a lot of hands flying around so logging is a little pain.

But with some log combining and a lot of driving, the tune is starting to look good and I am pleased what LV is showing me and also, how the car goes.

Now i'm not so embarrased to drive to go shopping with the family. Well not anywhere big and with a crowd, but something really small where no-one can see me and my slow ugly vehicle
Old 09 January 2017, 02:06 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I envy the OP's empty roads and wide open spaces. Perfect Impreza country!
Old 09 January 2017, 02:40 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

^Ha. Indeed.

To be serious here for a second: I do live in a sparsely populated area here in Finland. Well actually if you don't count the few major cities, the whole country is sparsely populated
If you go driving let's say.. on a wednesday night, out of a city, you can blast away all you want. No-one will come upon you. But if you do get pulled over.. well. If you watched The Grand Tour episode that was filmed here, it is true, one guy got a $103,000 speeding ticket and license away. Double penalties here and the money part is based on your income. My old co-worker took over a bus, a few of us fellow workers inside the car what boosted the penalty and it was dark, 68km/h @ 40km/h zone, got a $863 fine and license away for three months. Best that I've got was $295 fine, 109km/h @ 80km/h zone. With a 1.6l Peugeot 306 wagon (clear sunny morning, the Police were the only car I saw on the first 20 minutes of driving, so the fine was cutted a notch)

But I've never got a ticket with my Impreza (*knock knock knock on wood*), and sideways is the only way.

"Finland is the most sparsely populated country in the European Union, with only 16 inhabitants per km²"
Source: http://www.eupedia.com/finland/trivia.shtml

Last edited by Shakal; 09 January 2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10 January 2017, 01:43 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Warning, following post includes pictures of a dirty Subaru.

So the annual Lancia Club of Finland "Snowball Rally" is coming and I decided to drop by with my friend, who's coming with his TVR or BMW (doesn't know yet) and I'm going to take a few hard laps with The Impreza. Many laps on a snowtrack, so some maintaining was in order.

New oil

New rear pads

For 103,000 miles old original 2pot calipers, they're in really good shape. Just some proper cleaning, little sand paper to tactical areas and lots of grease, back together. Pistons move like new and seals were intact.

Still bit of a mess, but hey: go, no show. I shall give him some proper boot at the snowtrack.

Also changed the fresh air filter, but no pictures of that.

Not enough time in a day. Family and other meh.. responsibilities takes my time away from me lovely garage. Oh well..
Old 10 January 2017, 02:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a V7 STI ecu in my garage that's surplus to requirements if you're interested, £70 plus postage, which is what I paid for it.
Old 10 January 2017, 03:00 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

No need for now, thank you anyway.
Old 10 January 2017, 04:27 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakal
...it is true, one guy got a $103,000 speeding ticket and license away. Double penalties here and the money part is based on your income. My old co-worker took over a bus, a few of us fellow workers inside the car what boosted the penalty and it was dark, 68km/h @ 40km/h zone, got a $863 fine and license away for three months. Best that I've got was $295 fine, 109km/h @ 80km/h zone. With a 1.6l Peugeot 306 wagon (clear sunny morning, the Police were the only car I saw on the first 20 minutes of driving, so the fine was cutted a notch)...

Puts things in perspective a bit.

Last edited by joz8968; 10 January 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 16 January 2017, 02:38 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

He got outside to smell some fresh air after 4 days of sitting in the garage. Picture quality well.. phone pictures, sorry.
Old 16 January 2017, 03:34 PM
Wouldie
Scooby Regular

Very nice car. Hope you have many trouble free miles in him.https://www.scoobynet.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Old 16 January 2017, 04:44 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

What is that orange thing stuck to your sump - some sort of oil temp sender?
Old 16 January 2017, 05:16 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
What is that orange thing stuck to your sump - some sort of oil temp sender?
Oilpan heater.

You know, people who live in places where is winter, we have to have different kinds of engine and coolant heaters and heat the car a little before start, if it has been outside?

Don't use heaters when I'm home ofc, because of warm garage..

Last edited by Shakal; 16 January 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 16 January 2017, 06:58 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wouldie
Very nice car. Hope you have many trouble free miles in him.https://www.scoobynet.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Well if you look at page 1...
Old 16 January 2017, 08:08 PM
Wouldie
Scooby Regular

Lol. I have read the whole thread and was assuming that the latest photos meant your problems had been sorted.
Old 17 January 2017, 07:30 AM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wouldie
Lol. I have read the whole thread and was assuming that the latest photos meant your problems had been sorted.
They have.. For now atleast. Car works like a charm.
Old 19 January 2017, 01:05 PM
uxon
Scooby Regular

Hey, I have question about the phone you are using with btssm. Is it Sony Xperia P LT22i? I am asking, because it's quite old model (2012 or 2013), originally with Android 2.3 (and btssm requires Android 4.0 or newer). Also, I have much newer phone and it does not have OTG support.
Old 19 January 2017, 01:13 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uxon
Hey, I have question about the phone you are using with btssm. Is it Sony Xperia P LT22i? I am asking, because it's quite old model (2012 or 2013), originally with Android 2.3 (and btssm requires Android 4.0 or newer). Also, I have much newer phone and it does not have OTG support.
Its is an older model and you are correct sir, LT22i. Dont remember what 3rd party rom I flashed into it those days, but BtSsm still works with it very well with an otg adapter.

Last edited by Shakal; 19 January 2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 20 January 2017, 11:12 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

So. The new ej207 obviously never got recalled in Japan, because it started to smell alot of gas when the weather was really cold. So I said to myself "yeah **** it lets take the inlet pipe out, tighten the gas pipe connectors, put a new silicone inlet in and relax a little so I can enjoy my friday night blasting through the snow with my Impreza, my son with my mothers and everything, **** gonna be fun."

First things first:

Whoever has mentioned that the inlet pipe can be changed to a new silicone one, while the intake manifold is still bolted to the engine, should come here, so I can make him/her a new face or a second balloon knot with my fist.
It's not that the old one doesn't come off, that's easy, just cut a few outlets, unscrew a couple of bolts and it will come right off. It's the part when you have to attach the new inlet pipe under the intake manifold to the turbo.

I don't know if there is a lot of difference between engines or turbos, or is it important to have just the right brand inlet, but the gap between the corner of the ej207 v7 intake manifold and the VF30 turbo makes the job almost impossible. I made as much room as possible and still it was just straight luck after hours of horrific battle. I even had to make "hooks" from flathead screwdrivers using a torch and some bending with pliers.

Then of course almost none of the old hoses fitted with the new pipes outlets, had to cut, make mods of my own and all other.. I just.. God damn.

So after 9 hours later, I don't have a place in my body that doesn't hurt, my back is killing me and I just want to go to sleep. So much for that fun friday night driving. The car is in one piece again and working.

If it smells like gas after this, I'll just breath it in, enjoy and hope to die or something. The fuel pipe connectors were all in different angles, so I mainly used brute force to turn them upwards so I could tighten them. One of them didn't budge, so I just tightened it from the threads using even more force with some pliers. They were really, really loose, so no wonder there is leakage.

Old and new

Back together.. still a mess. Maybe some day I'll have the time to tidy up all the wires and other crap..

Last edited by Shakal; 20 January 2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 21 January 2017, 07:41 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good effort! I'd heard the turbo inlet was tricky to replace with the manifold in place. I hope it sorts the gas problem.
Old 21 January 2017, 08:05 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

(photo copied from someone else)

So the green circled outlet(?) came off (can someone give me an english translation for it, so I can google/search). I was accelerating and then hit a fuel cut. Did a little bit revving and yeah, overboosting. Back to the garage, checked all the lines and connections and by accident touched that outlet and it moved. Then I noticed it was 1mm out of the turbo, so I disconnected the hose and the outlet came right off by pulling with my fingers.

Anyone else had any experience with this? How did you solve it?

I'll be damned if I have to take the whole thing apart AGAIN and machine a new outlet to it.

The luck I have with this piece of crap is unbelievable.
Old 21 January 2017, 09:09 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

"turbo nipple"
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Tu...q=Turbo+nipple

"turbo compressor nipple"
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Tu...pressor+nipple

"turbo compressor housing nipple"
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Tu...housing+nipple
Old 21 January 2017, 09:51 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Thank you!
Old 22 January 2017, 10:15 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

No worries!

Worst case: you can get replacement nipples, designed to retap into the extisting nipple mounting hole.

If you do this, be sure to take suitable precautions to prevent any swarf from falling through the hole and getting into the comp. housing!

Last edited by joz8968; 22 January 2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 22 January 2017, 10:20 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Or you can blank the hole and, if available, utilise a spare nipple on the inlet manifold instead.

You'd obviously need some longer vac hose though, in order to reach the BCS's top inlet nipple.

Last edited by joz8968; 22 January 2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 22 January 2017, 04:26 PM
Shakal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Or you can blank the hole and, if available, utilise a spare nipple on the inlet manifold instead.

You'd obviously need some longer vac hose though, in order to reach the wastegate actuator's nipple.
This is something I don't understand. The original is at the pressure side. How can I change that to the intake side? Shouldnt the new one be somewhere between the turbo and throttle plate?