Notices

Immobiliser removal

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2016, 05:37 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobiliser removal

Hi, hoping someone may be able to help me.

Currently in the process of fitting my ej20 engine into my VW beetle, and I'm using the original loom cut down (removing abs, SRS etc) and I wanted to remove the immobiliser wiring.
It's the Mitsubishi system (MY00) with transponder ring. I do have the original keys but don't really want to have to hide the transponder ring with the key in the vehicle.
Is there any way of removing it? Am I right in thinking that because my Ecu is a UK it'll need unlocking to work?
I planned on running an Apexi FC on the engine so if I swap the cam and crank wires would this work?

If anyone can help please, even if PM so not public

Thanks in advance
Old 24 October 2016, 05:55 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Anyone confirm or help on this?
Old 27 October 2016, 08:42 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Seemed like a straightforward enough query, but I don't really get what you mean by this sentence - "don't really want to have to hide the transponder ring with the key in the vehicle."
Old 27 October 2016, 09:00 AM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Because I want to use the original Beetle ignition to keep keys etc, if I leave the immobiliser in the loom then it's going to need the transponder ring and original key putting somewhere in the car to switch off the immobiliser.
Sorry if that wasn't clear
Old 27 October 2016, 10:22 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

If your changing to a PFC you'll not need the immobiliser ring unless it cuts the feed to the ECU.
Old 27 October 2016, 10:37 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

not sure on the standard system now but I know with 99's the key isn't coded to the ECU specifically (i.e. you can swap ECU's without having to do anything else). So i guess it should be possible to remove the system if you have the entire loom available to see where it's been pinned in.

Most likely will be a mess of wires up under the dash/steering column as I think the older cars had the alarms fitted by the dealers so quality of install can vary a little.
Old 27 October 2016, 12:53 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've got the whole loom out to modify what I don't need.
From all the research i'be done, the UK ecu's have a Rom built in differently to the Japan spec ones and that's why the crank and cam signal wires are wired backwards compared to Japanese spec. I'm guessing once the UK ecu gets an immobiliser signal the Rom/Software swaps the cam and crank signals internally?
Old 27 October 2016, 01:01 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes it swaps them over internally but that's nothing to do with the immobiliser circuit. I believe immobiliser just grounds a pin on the ECU to give it the OK to start. You can always send the ECU off to get the ECUlabs software loaded on - the immobiliser check can be disabled there and your good to go (as well as antilag/launch control/mafless/live mappable).
http://eculabs.com/
Old 27 October 2016, 01:06 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

If this came from a MY99 MY00 UK car, then it should have the sigma M30 alarm/immobiliser which is a standalone unit that breaks into the fuel pump wiring (and starter?), and does not have coded keys that are connected to the ECU.

I would have thought you can just search "remove sigma m30".
If it doesn't work with the sigma ECU removed and the fuel and starter wires bridged, then leave it in and use the fob that came with it?

Last edited by tjmatt; 27 October 2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: M30 is spliced into fuel pump and starter circuits.
Old 27 October 2016, 04:34 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

From everything I searched it's suppose to have the sigma, but looking at the immobiliser box it's the Mitsubishi variant which is harder to remove supposedly. Doesn't have the keypad or anything
Old 27 October 2016, 05:31 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

did the engine definitely come from an impreza? if it came from a forester then it has a different immobiliser setup (and it does actually talk to the ECU in that case).
Old 27 October 2016, 05:52 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Definitely out of an Impreza, I bought a donor vehicle and stripped everything out myself
Old 27 October 2016, 09:47 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

But maybe an impreza engine was put in a forester.
Old 28 October 2016, 05:05 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tjmatt
If this came from a MY99 MY00 UK car, then it should have the sigma M30 alarm/immobiliser which is a standalone unit that breaks into the fuel pump wiring (and starter?), and does not have coded keys that are connected to the ECU.

I would have thought you can just search "remove sigma m30".
If it doesn't work with the sigma ECU removed and the fuel and starter wires bridged, then leave it in and use the fob that came with it?
On a MY99 the sigma alarm is in addition to the standard immobiliser. The immobiliser is still a ring around the ignition lock and a chip in the key. The sigma (where fitted) is operated by a separate push button fob.

As has been said you can swap ECUs without reprogramming the keys so the immobiliser circuit must be stand alone and feed info to the ECU. If you can get a diagram of the immobiliser circuit you should be able to bypass it.
Old 28 October 2016, 05:46 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Speak to Rich jones @ RJES .com as he did all the loom wok for my Subaru VW conversion and he know what he is doing with these looms , mine still uses the transponder key as it was a good way of immobilising the van ,, I also got him to keep all my OBD2 stuff and it has been very useful
Old 28 October 2016, 07:06 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-man...iser-unit.html

Worth a read
Old 01 November 2016, 01:22 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Appreciate that link thanks, exactly what I'm trying to do, unfortunately not fully answered it though.
Seems to confirm what I was thinking. Will look into the Eculabs as well. Had a power FC on my old scoob, which I know is dated now but still works well.
Looking at keeping my OBD socket too
Old 11 September 2017, 11:38 AM
Wastedspark
Scooby Newbie

Hi furiokid did you ever get this sorted?

I'm doing the same thing at the moment and have similar issues,
Old 11 September 2017, 01:21 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Only answer I came up with was to fit an Apexi FC as this is essentially a JDM ecu so doesn't use an immobiliser (hence swapping cam and crank wires), where as the uk2000 ecu's swap the cam and crank internally so no way round it that I've found personally using the original ecu