Notices

HID recommend please

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2016, 12:36 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't want to get dragged into the argument, but its worthy of note that:

The new Audi A1 and Vw Beetle with HIDs don't have self levelling or washers, I believe this is because they are not more than 2000 lumens. There is a separate EU law on this. I believe the HIDs in this case are only 25W.
Old 21 September 2016, 09:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Aye, whatever.

The "clue" as you put it is in the ADVICE and VIEWS given.

That doesn't make them law...but hey, you go on believing. And as for the fairies at the bottom of your garden....

PS: get hold of a set of lighting regs, and plough through those. BOTH HID and LED are STRICTLY illegal, but have to be accepted due to European type approval. The lighting regs make mention of incandesent bulbs.......
Old 21 September 2016, 06:20 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My recommendation is don't fit them because they look gash!!
Old 04 October 2016, 09:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Aye, whatever.

The "clue" as you put it is in the ADVICE and VIEWS given.

That doesn't make them law...but hey, you go on believing. And as for the fairies at the bottom of your garden....

PS: get hold of a set of lighting regs, and plough through those. BOTH HID and LED are STRICTLY illegal, but have to be accepted due to European type approval. The lighting regs make mention of incandesent bulbs.......

No, read what it says, they only gain type approval when fitted NEW to a car, anything else is ILLEGAL, that goes for all the off road kits ILLEGALLY fitted to road cars, quite clearly states in the EU regulations where they gain their E marking from.
Oh and it also states that from the DfT....
Old 04 October 2016, 09:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beastie
I don't want to get dragged into the argument, but its worthy of note that:

The new Audi A1 and Vw Beetle with HIDs don't have self levelling or washers, I believe this is because they are not more than 2000 lumens. There is a separate EU law on this. I believe the HIDs in this case are only 25W.
Taken from VW on their new Beetle.

Automatic headlight range control
Ensures the optimum headlight setting and illumination of the road ahead. It keeps your beam range constant, however heavily your car is loaded, stopping your headlights from shining too high and dazzling oncoming traffic. The control function automatically adjusts the headlights' angle, depending on the load in your car.

It comes in either static or dynamic versions. Static systems adjust to compensate for the extra weight of the passengers and their luggage. The control unit processes information it receives from tilt sensors in addition to signals from the electronic speedometer and the ABS braking control unit. It can then work out whether the car is stationary or travelling at a constant speed.

The dynamic system can also correct the headlight setting when your car is pulling away, speeding up and slowing down by monitoring changes in the speed signals via its powerful control unit. Its actuator motor also adjusts at a higher speed to correct the headlight range within a fraction of a second. Automatic headlight range adjustment is a legal requirement on vehicles fitted with Bi-Xenon headlights.
Old 05 October 2016, 01:53 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Taken from VW on their new Beetle.

Automatic headlight range control
Ensures the optimum headlight setting and illumination of the road ahead. It keeps your beam range constant, however heavily your car is loaded, stopping your headlights from shining too high and dazzling oncoming traffic. The control function automatically adjusts the headlights' angle, depending on the load in your car.

It comes in either static or dynamic versions. Static systems adjust to compensate for the extra weight of the passengers and their luggage. The control unit processes information it receives from tilt sensors in addition to signals from the electronic speedometer and the ABS braking control unit. It can then work out whether the car is stationary or travelling at a constant speed.

The dynamic system can also correct the headlight setting when your car is pulling away, speeding up and slowing down by monitoring changes in the speed signals via its powerful control unit. Its actuator motor also adjusts at a higher speed to correct the headlight range within a fraction of a second. Automatic headlight range adjustment is a legal requirement on vehicles fitted with Bi-Xenon headlights.
Hi Tony, have a read here from OSRAM:

https://www.carlightblog.com/tag/25-watt-xenon/

An automatic headlight range control system and a headlamp washer system are compulsory from 2000 lumens upwards. And headlamp cleaning systems are a thorn in the side of many a car maker. Firstly, because they cost money and secondly, because they add unwanted weight to the vehicle, mainly in the form of the larger water supply required.So the washer system can be dispensed with in cars fitted with the weaker xenon headlamps. Experts expect surcharges to drop to around 500 euros. The new system is hence mainly designed for small and medium-sized models. The 35-watt version will remain on the market. The lamps are not interchangeable.

The first cars to be equipped with the new xenon lamps are the new VW Beetle and the Audi A1. They don’t have a headlamp washer system, though it seems that they will have automatic range control, which the manufacturers are voluntarily including. And, dear car makers, I sincerely hope that you will continue to do so! For many drivers never use the manual solution that is operated via a control unit in the cockpit. Indeed, many aren’t even aware that their cars are equipped with such a thing. When loaded, these cars dazzle oncoming traffic, and this is something that should be avoided with the new, cheaper xenon light, too.
The 14 plate beetle I drove with xenons had an adjuster dial but might have had some automatic compensation too. it didn't have washers.

Last edited by Beastie; 05 October 2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 17 October 2016, 10:06 AM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can add is that I have had mine through 5 MOT's, 3 different test stations, all with HID's and I got a mention that they were fitted in 3 of the test reports, the two latest have no mention of them. Whether its illegal or not is best decided by the officer that pulls you over, and whats going to happen... he/she is never going to check the lamps for an 'E' mark at the side of the road.
If you prefer them, take your chances, dont use a silly colour - I run with 4300k or 5000k and have never been stopped or flashed at by other motorists (you know what I mean )
As to what to buy, going against the grain again here.... I get ebays best... £16 delivered; keep a set in the shed as spares, no problem. Much to my surprise the plastic bases on the lamps didnt melt! I run on dipped beam almost all the time and probably use a set every 13 months or so.