Notices

Oil Pressure gauge - strange readings

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2015, 04:23 PM
Timmay Zoom Zoom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure gauge - strange readings

Hi All, I have recently installed some of the more cost effective digital gauges to my Scooby. The oil pressure gauge was working fine, or at least I thought it was. It showed around 50 PSI on start up and a slight drop after warm. When on tick over this dropped to 20 or so. Normal ish I thought.

In the last 2 weeks, driven 3 times now, the pressure starts off at about 50 PSI, drops quite fast and when I pull up at junction or to a stop and idol, it falls to zero. It then picks up again at engine rev or pull away, but idol back to 0. My first thoughts are, cheap gauge and/or sensor as the engine seems to be running fine, no issues, but not nice having a gauge giving you warnings. I then shoot to thinking is the gauge correct, how else could I tell/test. Could oil pump be on the way out, what else could be the issue, could I have a leak that's reducing pressure? (no signs of too much excess oil on the floor, I always have a few spots from a known leak.

I am a little lost what to try next. Its a modded MY99 UK turbo, with forged engine, with VF35 at about 340bhp.

Any thoughts, I am thinking of getting another gauge, inclination is straight cheap replacement, but could have the same issues again. What should I do next? Trying to reduce the spend if I can on the car as its cost me a few K in the last few months, and not really wanting to splash out on a great set of gauges and then pay for a more pro install than myself.

Oh, and after market water temp gauge just failed this morning, sticking at lowest setting 40 degrees, suggesting sensor but need to test. - thoughts are cheap gauges, waste of money. Anybody else had these issues?

Link to the type of gauges I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-52mm-Dig...item20db168f8c
Old 04 August 2015, 04:56 PM
Danb85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive used these before and the sensors are pretty poor and inconsistent - ended up spending alot more money and buying some better gauges with good sensors (STRI DSD CS gauges)
Old 05 August 2015, 07:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Buy decent, buy once.