Notices

Weird switch

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2015, 04:09 PM
Remko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird switch

Yesterday I was cleaning the interior, took out the mats for the 1st time and discovered a 2-way switch under the driver's seat. Curious as I am I flipped it and immediately the car started idling badly and died several seconds later and consequentially refused to start. I wonder if it's a safety measure against carjacking. From what I can tell it affects the ignition only. I think it was too instant for a fuelpump cut-off but I could be wrong. Anyone else ever found such a switch? Starter motor still works and all instruments too so it's most definately not a mains witch. Besides, that would involve far bigger gauge wiring into the cabin. Those I would have noticed earlier
Old 27 July 2015, 08:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like fuel pump to me.
Old 27 July 2015, 08:53 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Agreed, fuel pump. Especially as the wiring passes by there too.
Old 28 July 2015, 04:39 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Remko
Yesterday I was cleaning the interior, took out the mats for the 1st time and discovered a 2-way switch under the driver's seat. Curious as I am I flipped it and immediately the car started idling badly and died several seconds later and consequentially refused to start. I wonder if it's a safety measure against carjacking. From what I can tell it affects the ignition only. I think it was too instant for a fuelpump cut-off but I could be wrong. Anyone else ever found such a switch? Starter motor still works and all instruments too so it's most definately not a mains witch. Besides, that would involve far bigger gauge wiring into the cabin. Those I would have noticed earlier
Yep - fuel pump switch. Very crude immobiliser. Had the very same on my first Impreza, although it was under the arm rest.