Notices

JDM blobeye headlight fitting advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2015, 10:43 PM
Wiggy_83
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post JDM blobeye headlight fitting advice

After reading about the options on here for upgrading my headlights I decided to buy a set of JDM HIDs. I haven't got them yet but as soon as I do I want to get them fitted so I was wondering if there's anything else I need and if anyone's got any tips or advice?

I've looked for a step-by-step guide, even a wiring diagram, but without any luck and I'm not exactly practical so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02 March 2015, 11:02 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

I did this about a year ago on my blobeye STI.

I sourced a set of JDM HID Lights and was lucky enough that the previous owner had gone to the effort of making a custom loom to make them as plug and play as possible into a none JDM car.

The problem is there is no power to the ballasts in a standard UK / Euro loom.

I am trying to remember the exact loom setup, It has two relays (One per headlight, just in case one fails you don't loose both lights) which connect directly to the battery terminal and the outputs to each ballast, He had even got all the correct plugs, which I think most breakers leave on when cutting from loom.

The inputs were wired into the plug and connected to the plug that would normally go into back of standard headlight so when you put lights on you switch the relay and ballasts get power.

The other side headlight lead was taped off as no longer in use. Other than neatly hiding the wiring, connecting to ground on each side and locating the relays it was a straight swap.

Mark.
Old 03 March 2015, 11:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above, feed the ballasts directly from battery, via an inline fuse, and "trigger" them using a relay.
One for each side is good practice.
Old 04 March 2015, 05:29 PM
Wiggy_83
Scooby Newbie

Thank you both.

I don't think I'm going to be as lucky as you Mark as mine are coming from a breakers. Is it easy to work out what wire does what and will I need to change any plugs/connectors over? I read something somewhere about using an extra wiring loom to cannibalise for bits but this might have been for a bugeye.