International International Meetings & Events

Anyone lived in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2011, 11:38 AM
t3harvinator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone lived in Germany?

Was trying to find out if emission testing is stricter there than in the UK. Also what else is different about their testing.

I have a 1996 v3 STI import...Hopefully it passes *fingers crossed*
Old 16 October 2011, 02:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they are very strict, you may need a certificate of conformaty as those rules we have over here in the UK dont apply to Germany.

Tony
Old 29 October 2011, 10:28 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Hi.
I moved to germany in march this year.

I don't have the exact answer to your question though. I have a BMW which I have imported from the UK. I just got the Certificate of Conformity from BMW and gave that to the garage that TUV tested my car. I had no problems what so ever and I'm pretty sure with a COC if your car is road legal in the UK and not modified then you shouldn't have too many problems importing it here.

Even modified cars can be TUV'd obviously. But if heavily modified then they need an individual test. I think its 150 euros (standard TUV test cost) then 30 euros for every mod you have to be submitted and hopefully approved. Try to get as much information from manufacturers of mods before you leave as this can help loads. IE I contacted BC racing for my coil overs on my impreza (was thinking of bringing it here also) and they sent all the technical drawings to give to the TUV guys.

TUV test is every two years not every year.....
Tax is variable on cost depending on CO2 emission. The level gives a rate per 100CC. so a 2 litter car gets the rate x 20. BMW diesel just cost over 300 a year to tax!
Insurance here is more expensive. You can transfer no claims from the UK but still our premium (wife and i) went from 300 a year to 800 with 9 years no claims.

A good source of info is toytowngermany i believe. Lots of expats on there giving good advice.

For the cost of it all i ould really ask myself though how long your going to live here / own the car. And maybe keeping it registered in the uk is a cheaper option.

Of course legally you have to register your car here if its kept here for 3 months or more i believe (maybe 6 but i forget). But then who actually knows its here??? Just make sure your happy with your UK insurance level covering your time abroad. Some go to third party only or are on limited times in Europe.
Old 29 October 2011, 11:02 PM
t3harvinator
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. I am actually with the US Armed Forces and will be living in Germany for a few years.

I only have a few mods on my car right now but I am slowly taking it back to stock.
I am taking my decat off and I just took my intake off and threw on the regular air box.
No leaks on the car. I am just really worried about emmisions and the loudness lol. I bought a japspeed 3" catback before I found out I was going. Hopefully it's not too loud.
Old 31 October 2011, 06:32 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by t3harvinator
Was trying to find out if emission testing is stricter there than in the UK. Also what else is different about their testing.

I have a 1996 v3 STI import...Hopefully it passes *fingers crossed*
No it wont, and it will also fail the German TÜV (MOT). You wont be able to register it over here until you have all the tests completed and the paperwork required for §21 of the StVZO. The classic STi was never sold in Germany or Europe so a COC doc doesnt exist for those models of the Impreza. You will either need an import company to help you out as Subaru Germany wont give you any help or paperwork, or get everything tested seperatly from the local TÜV testing center. That could set you back around £1500. An import company will help you out for around £600-£800.

As an example:
My P1 would fail its MOT everytime as i have an AP Racing brake setup, these are not TÜV approved and im not paying the £1000 they want for approval, so i just swap them for the oem four pot setup when my MOT is due.

Last edited by Lee_1075; 31 October 2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12 November 2011, 02:58 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

Been living in Germany since 2007, but never had to Tuv test a car, luckily being with the British Forces, they have their own testing and registering system, so even though i've exported my car from the UK, its not offically imported into Germany, only onto the Army system.
Old 12 November 2011, 06:07 PM
t3harvinator
Scooby Regular

Nice! I think US Armed Forces has their own system as well. Is your system less strict?
Old 12 November 2011, 09:10 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

the BFG system (British Forces Germany) uses the same laws and regulations as the UK, so when a car is BFG'd it basically goes through a MOT.
Old 14 November 2011, 02:01 PM
t3harvinator
Scooby Regular

Oh I see. That seems pretty fair. Thanks for the info!
Old 02 February 2012, 10:53 AM
waydizzle13
Scooby Newbie

i'm armed forced member living here in germany right now. it really depends on which base you go to.... some bases are less strict than the other. as for as for emission, i dont think they test for that... at least they didnt do it on my car. but they do test for loudness tho... so if you have like a silencer you can put on, i would just do that
Old 22 February 2012, 06:21 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Will the british bases MOT or TUV civilian cars? Strange question i know!
Old 25 February 2012, 04:56 PM
ruckus racing
Scooby Regular

if you're contracted DOD with US armed forces, you should be exempt from TUV. getting an inspection on post is nowhere near as strict as TUV, and it's more than likely going to pass, as long as there is no leaks or loose suspension components.

main stuff that you can fail for
-
any light not working properly (the only one on thi list that my car doesnt have right now)
cracked windshield
e-brake malfunction
fuel leak
oil leak
brake fluid leak
steering fluid leak
loose suspension/clunk