Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance whinge.

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2017, 09:55 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Insurance whinge.

Just a bit of a heads up really. Bare with me it's slightly long winded.

So I have a 650-700bhp hawkeye that I built in Australia whilst living out there and brought back to the UK with me. Initially it was insured on VIN only via A-Plan and under written by Marker Study. However when it was actually registered A-Plan changed the policy and it was then under written by ERS.

At first the policy came with a condition that when at home the car had to be parked on my gated driveway. This was at any time of the day not just over night. This meant that had I just nipped home and parked the car on the road outside my house and it was stolen I wouldn't be covered. So in order to change this I had to pay an extra £50 or so. This then gave me no restrictions on parking.

I've moved house recently to a far nicer area and to a place with a garage. So I rang up yesterday to inform A-Plan of my new address and to the fact the car will now be garaged over night. So I was gobsmacked to hear that they wanted an additional £50. I was pretty pissed off as I'm already paying £1600 a year. So I phoned up to query this. Apparently the area is in the same category despite this being a nicer area, however I can accept that. But they wouldnt discount the fact that the car is now garaged over night and say that there is no discount applied. Bearing in mind I had to pay additional to have the driveway restriction moved at the previous address.

Anyway there was no movement on this so I said no problem the previous address is my parent address and I'll just leave the car registered there. No problem they said.

Anyway I was quite annoyed by the whole thing so phoned back to query it all. I was expecting to just change my address and maybe pay a small admin fee for the change or just have the whole thing done without charge. Still no movement though. However the underwriters have now insisted that I had to change the address and I must pay the additional premium. Now I thought this was a step too far and that they were basically holding me to ransom.

So for the sake of £50 ERS are now having to refund me almost £1000. OK I'm taking a bit of a hit myself but its the principle.

I just wondered what other people would do in this situation.

In fairness to A-plan they did try their best to get this resolved but ERS just wanted to extort me so their hands were tied.

Last edited by dazdavies; 17 January 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 17 January 2017, 10:36 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bloody hell mate, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face, remind me not to mess with you.

Although to be fair, i'm the same when I get p1$$ed off.

Hope you're getting a better deal with your new insurers to compensate yourself for the hit.
Old 17 January 2017, 10:48 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice to see someone else refuse to be bent over. £50 cost them £1000 the more of us that do this the better the chances of free changes to policies
Old 17 January 2017, 10:56 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

To be fair it was when they came back and told me I couldnt keep it at my mum and dads address (where the car is registered with DVLA). They threatened to withdraw cover if I didn't make the change.

F*ck that. No one bullies me. It became about the principle then.
Old 17 January 2017, 10:57 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you live in Alepo or summit?
Old 17 January 2017, 11:20 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally an ex mining village in South Yorkshire so slightly more down market than Aleppo.

Last edited by dazdavies; 17 January 2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 17 January 2017, 11:28 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Orginally an ex mining village in South Yorkshire so slightly more down market than Aleppo.

Old 17 January 2017, 12:25 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the obvious comment, but have you tried talking to Moley Daz?
I would be interested in his personal take on the matter, although conflicting interests might cause him to abstain from public comment.
Old 17 January 2017, 02:38 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Im all sorted Now. Have just insured with another insurer. New 12 month policy with better coverage than before and over £600 cheaper. The best bit is the refund I'm getting will more than cover the cost of the new policy.

Win Win for me.
Old 17 January 2017, 06:04 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

You fancy selling me the hawk next month?
Old 17 January 2017, 06:05 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding putting it in the garage, I once got told that there was more chance of damaging the car and claiming by taking it in and out of the garage than just leaving it on the drive...
Old 17 January 2017, 06:14 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

For the right money I may consider it.
Would have to get me into a 911 of sorts though
Old 17 January 2017, 07:02 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

I have had similar issues with Sky insurance, I to cancelled policies on two vehicles for the sake of them not waivering an admin charge for an issue with my bank, their loss I suppose
Old 17 January 2017, 07:56 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
Regarding putting it in the garage, I once got told that there was more chance of damaging the car and claiming by taking it in and out of the garage than just leaving it on the drive...

It's a condition of any policies I've had in the past. If the car is at home it needs to be garaged between 10pm and 7am.

The exception to this was the first policy discussed here. In that case the insurers wanted it "behind a locked gate if not in the course of a journey" was how they worded it. I queried this as I read that as it had to be behind a locked gate where ever i went. But they clarified just when at home. But this also applied day or night. That basically meant that if I popped home from work for lunch and parked on the road outside my house and the car was stolen it wouldn't be covered. I had to pay extra for that condition to be removed.

So now that the car is kept in a locked garage I expected a reduction in premium. Which is why I thought it would just cancel out the admin charge. Not only did they not reduce the premium but they also wanted to charge me nearly £50 to inform them of an address change.. I think what really pushed me over the edge was the fact they then tried to force me in to paying the charges with threatening to withdraw cover.

Then it became about the principle.

So instead of waiving the charge and having a happy customer for the sake of 50 quid. They now have a p!ssed off customer that's going to tell everyone his experience and they also have to pay me nearly £1000 back as a refund.

That's some business model they have.
Old 17 January 2017, 09:15 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was happy with a plan for a good many years, but when I got the Spec C Litchfield T25 they declined to quote on it.
Old 17 January 2017, 09:18 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=dazdavies;11911309]Im all sorted Now. Have just insured with another insurer. New 12 month policy with better coverage than before and over £600 cheaper. The best bit is the refund I'm getting will more than cover the cost of the new policy.

Win Win for me.So who is the new insurer.