Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance company scam

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2016, 01:55 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance company scam

My brother in law had his car driven into while waiting at the lights by someone who didn't notice he had stopped. The impact was low but significant enough to make a dent in his rear bumper. He decided to go through the insurance company who asked him to take it to a repair centre.

When he was there the centre tried to suggest that the light cluster which he had chipped when fitting a rear bike rack was as a result of the crash. My brother in law said it wasn't and shouldn't be claimed for.

He was given an Audi A4 S line, which was a beautiful car, to use while it was in for repair. 1 month into the repair my brother in law enquired as to why his car wasn't ready. He then started receiving phone calls...a lot of phone calls, all saying how terrible the accident was. He was constantly quoted payout premiums for the injuries he and his family hadn't sustained (they weren't even in the car) and encouraged, by making it sound incredibly straight forward, to put in a claim.

Another 3 months later he finally got a call to say his car was ready, complete with replaced rear light cluster. The bill (which he was told would be covered by the insurance co. he was claiming off) came to over £5000 for the hire car and around an additional £1000 for the rear lights and bumper repair.

His car was kept for that length of time purely to drive up the cost of the hire car, resulting in what should have been a £500ish job costing the insurance industry thousands.

Incidentally, I renewed my insurance last month and it had gone up by £80...coincidence?

...Just to add, I personally think this conduct should be reported, but to who and how and would it even make any difference or is this just common practice?

Last edited by SRSport; 16 September 2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 16 September 2016, 06:44 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
Probably the easiest thing would be to report it to the insurance company outlining your concerns.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 24 September 2016, 08:43 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was involved in a not my fault claim a good few years ago, got a hire car through the insurance. Rang them up to get them to collect it as I'd then bought my car. They told me to keep the hire car for a few more days in case the purchase of my new car fell through.

It was hardly going to fall through when it was sitting outside my door.
Old 24 September 2016, 08:54 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont worry, the insurance company wont pay it out, they constantly Check, and ask finish dates of cars, as there paying the hire. They wi also work off abi rates so they wont get high premium for hire cars.
Old 25 September 2016, 07:55 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi,
Probably the easiest thing would be to report it to the insurance company outlining your concerns.
Regards,
Dan.
How ironic, as I have just done this with Flux. . .