Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

2006 STI Replacement Headunit

Old 25 October 2009, 10:27 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 STI Replacement Headunit

Picked up my 06 STI on Saturday, and in the 3 hours it took me to drive it home it became glaringly obvious the headunit would have to go in favour of something that actually sounds half decent.

A couple of headunits have caught my eye including this one from Halfrauds - Ripspeed DV720 DVD/MP3/CD Player from Halfords Was £299.99 Save £50.00 Price £249.99 Free Store Fit

Now I appreciate this is Halfrauds superb "home" brand and generally Ripspeed should be avoided but does this extended to their ICE range as well ?? Does anyone have any experience of this particular unit or have it installed in their Scooby ??

Cheers,

Mav
Old 26 October 2009, 12:12 AM
freakin
Scooby Regular

i cannot comment on that one or ripspeed ones but i thought i would wade in with my £0.012 if the screen isnt important to you then i recommend the pioneer p80bt its a double din which i wanted (i used to have a single with the pocket). link. Sound is great and the ipod / hdd feature coupled with the great bluetooth hands free makes it superb. I got rid of the sony bt5000 because the hands free was shocking.
Old 26 October 2009, 09:48 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Don't go near Ripspedd under any circumstances, the unit in the Scoob is a Kenwood unit and actually much better than anything Ripspeed produce.

I went for a Kenwood DNX5220BT now replaced by the 5240 I think the 5220 can still be had online for very good prices and has Bluetooth, Navigation and Ipod control (with additional £30 lead).
Old 01 November 2009, 06:34 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Now looking at a Pioneer AVH-P3100 very similar in price to the Ripspeed units which do seem to be pretty poor (concensus opinion).

Has anyone got one of these installed or looked at them at all ? Would be interested to know if the double din fit is as good as I'm hoping it will be. Only down side to these units seems to be the fact that you have to purchase the iPod adaptor and Bluetooth adaptor seperatly if you want them
Old 01 November 2009, 10:05 PM
Scoobyn
Scooby Regular

No matter what unit you get it will still sound the same as ur still using the same speakers. Id defo head towards changin the door speakers.
Old 04 November 2009, 01:38 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by STI Mav
Now looking at a Pioneer AVH-P3100 very similar in price to the Ripspeed units which do seem to be pretty poor (concensus opinion).

Has anyone got one of these installed or looked at them at all ? Would be interested to know if the double din fit is as good as I'm hoping it will be. Only down side to these units seems to be the fact that you have to purchase the iPod adaptor and Bluetooth adaptor seperatly if you want them
I'd be interested to know if you go down this route , as I'm thinking or replacing the rubbish Ebay special DVD player I bought, and the Pineer looks good value at under £300

Dave
Old 05 November 2009, 10:01 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you want/need of course.

I did a deal with Dynamic sounds on this(We'll it was the previous model - about a year ago) together with the KCA-BT200 bluetooth hands free kit
I paid £419 for the package
Kenwood DDX-5024 - Double DIN Car DVD Receiver, 6.1 inch Touch Screen USB interf

Shaun
Old 14 November 2009, 06:51 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

I've finally decided on a setup for the Scooby now and have the car booked in next Sat for a full install.

I've opted for an Alpine CD3-103BT heat unit with the optional iPod cable so I can have full control of the iPod from the headunit.

I've also asked the shop to supply and fit a Brodit iPhone 3G dock which looks pretty good. It was this video on you tube that did it for me.....

YouTube - Alpine CDE-103EBT Car Install with iPhone Dock - iPhone Car Kit

The Brodit dock is a slightly different make to the one in the vid but does effectivly the same thing - available here among other places,

Buy a Brodit Apple iPhone 3G Car Holder | UK

I'll get some pics and what not posted up once it's all in
Old 14 November 2009, 09:46 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'd have gone for one of the Kenwood NAV/Bluetooth units myself - full iPod control, Garmin Sat nav and Parrott Bluetooth handsfree - no need for aditional extras and it simply plugs in!
Old 14 November 2009, 10:24 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

I've already got a seperate Sat Nav, and really didnt fancy spending the best part of £500-600 getting hold of one of these and fitting if I'm honest.

Lovely bit of kit mind - just OTT for what I need it to do. I only ever do 5 miles back and forward to the station and then a bit of fun at the weekend, so little point in me having screens and DVD players etc.
Old 17 November 2009, 09:43 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little point in having SAT NAV too if thats the case
Old 17 November 2009, 09:57 AM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Little point in having SAT NAV too if thats the case
Yeah but I have been known to get lost between the bedroom and the bathroom so......
Old 21 November 2009, 09:33 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

My new headunit went in today, and boy did I get an absolute steal of a deal. A bit of confusion between the sales manager/fitter and myself led to me getting about £60 of his original quoted price

I ended up getting the following parts provided on the day,

1. Brand new Alpine CDE-104BTi Headunit
2. Universal Cage/tray din adaptor
3. Subaru ISO Cable
4. Full fitting

All for the total sum of £200

Headunit is superb, I have an iPhone 3G and the Bluetooth functionality for phone calls etc is second to none thanks to the built in parrot kit within the headunit. The 104BTi also comes included with the iPod cable so you can drive your whole iPhone directly from the headunit itself.

Will get some pics up tomorrow - but today I've had a real result...... almost feel bad for practically robbing the store
Old 22 November 2009, 05:08 PM
VXhalo
Scooby Regular

Any news/pics

really interested as I would like a setup not OTT and get the functionallity of the Iphone included in the headunit. Did you need additional Bluetooth units? I have been looking around and noticed alot have an additional unit though I will connect with cable each time so not fussed with bluetooth
Old 22 November 2009, 05:53 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Pics below - sorry for the crap quality, literally just run out and done those now.

The 104BTi has an iPod cable included and the headunit has built in Bluetooth functionality from Parrot - no additional units required for full iPhone functionality direct from the headunit (phone and music).

Good quality decent bit if kit if all you really want to do is listen to some music from your iPhone and have a decent hands free kit in the car.

Old 22 November 2009, 06:13 PM
VXhalo
Scooby Regular

Mav

Looks really good. Think I will do something similar

Does anybody know if the Iphone calling capabilities are available using the cable only. I'm not bothered with bluetooth and thinking about the this unit Alpine CDA-105Ri - CD Player

Sorry to be a pain but how did you route the mic cable. I am just about capable of installing the HU but this maybe a little testing for my skills

Cheers
Old 22 November 2009, 06:33 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

The Alpine units have built in Parrot Bluetooth this is how the Phone part works. You can't do it via the cable.

Installation actually seemed very easy - in the final picture to the right of the mic and the A piller you can see a rubber insert that runs the length of the door frame. This basically pulls out and allows you to feed the cable down the inside of it right to the bottom of the footwell. Then it just goes across the underside of the steering colum, and round to the back of the radio.

The centre console around the gear stick basically just pulls out, then you need some plastic levers to pull the centre away from around the stereo itself - it all pops in/out with clips so a certain amount of force is required. Once the frames are off, you unscrew the current headunit that's in place, swap the mounts onto the new headunit and din pocket and then re-install.

Hours job max, once you've actully seen it done !!
Old 22 November 2009, 08:16 PM
VXhalo
Scooby Regular

Thats spot on. Appreciate the time taken to help

Looks like its going to have to be one of the BTi units.

Again cheers Mav
Old 23 November 2009, 03:04 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Fitted my Pioneer AVH-P3100 this weekend , excellent piece of kit , along with the Bluetooth kit sooooo much better than the std set up