ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Under seat subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2009, 05:23 PM
dalmatian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under seat subwoofer

I've just fitted an Alpine head unit and some Infinity speakers to my Bugeye and now want to add some bass.I don't really want a subwoofer in the boot so i was thinking of any one of these to go under the seat
Alpine SWD 1600
Blaupunkt THB 200a
Kenwood SW-40ht
Has anyone got any experiance with any of them or could the recommend something else.I've got about £100 to spend.
Thanks Nick
Old 16 February 2009, 05:51 PM
Car Security Expert
Scooby Regular

W.O.M.
Old 20 February 2009, 11:55 PM
Scoobyn
Scooby Regular

DONT DO IT!! lol what a waste of time, you'll only regret it. Why dont u wanna fit a sub in the boot? if its space ur bothered about u can easily remove a sub just by disconnectin both speaker wires!! Fit an amp to the back seat. With stuff like this the sayin "You only get what u pay for" is spot on!!
Old 21 February 2009, 07:25 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i got a focal bus 25
Old 21 February 2009, 11:48 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

I had the same idea, went for the Alpine SWD 2000. The driver is bigger than the 1600, and it just fits under the drivers seat in my bugeye.

No, its not as good as a proper amp driven boot sub, but goes usefully lower than the components.

You won't win any street bass competitions but you will get more bass than now and a fuller sound.
Old 21 February 2009, 07:27 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I have a pioneer TS-WX11A

Car Audio Direct - Pioneer TS-WX11A - Subwoofer

Highly recommended.

Don't put a sub in the boot unless you have a hatchback - it needs to be in the same air-space as the listener. You wouldn't buy a home cinema system and put the sub in the cupboard under the stairs would you?
Old 22 February 2009, 10:53 PM
audioscape
Scooby Regular

sorry to be a pain but i disagree as long as you can vent the sub into the car it works fine competed like this for years. it is in the set up. there are loads of shallow subs out there now so you can make a grp enclosure with a proper sub and put it under the seat. when i was working for kicker i put a 15" solobaric into a glove box in cav. anything is possible.

Originally Posted by GaryCat
I have a pioneer TS-WX11A

Car Audio Direct - Pioneer TS-WX11A - Subwoofer

Highly recommended.

Don't put a sub in the boot unless you have a hatchback - it needs to be in the same air-space as the listener. You wouldn't buy a home cinema system and put the sub in the cupboard under the stairs would you?
Old 06 November 2015, 01:39 PM
adamobie1
Scooby Regular

I've been recommended to rainbow as a brand, there not as cheap as alpine etc but for £300 they do a 10" under seat sub with amp. Ultimate audio in Bromsgrove highly recommend and they sell alpine etc etc.

Worth a look into. Rainbow intelli 10 I think there called.

Adam
Old 06 November 2015, 02:41 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Mine works incredibly well shakes the windows when on half lol hope pics help you make a decision buy once buy proper even if you have to wait a bit mate

Just wiring needs sorting out s bit but them under seat thingies in my opinion are a waste of time
Old 07 November 2015, 10:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad it's just your opinion then.

My Alpine one gives me all the bass I want, and is very controllable. It was dead easy to fit, doesn't take up half my boot, came with all the extra wiring I needed and and can be removed in two minutes if needed.
Old 08 November 2015, 07:08 AM
jebi se
Scooby Regular

My sub is in the spare wheel well, it helps that i have a full size spare wheel, i made a false floor from mdf and raised it about 6cm to accommodate the larger spare which in turn makes room for a 12" sub, amp is under the passenger seat, you'll need to dyna matt the wheel well and i also use some foam underlay between the mdf and boot floor, i can shake the whole car to bits if i so desire, the slight loss of boot space isn't noticeable.
Old 08 November 2015, 08:36 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Glad it's just your opinion then.

My Alpine one gives me all the bass I want, and is very controllable. It was dead easy to fit, doesn't take up half my boot, came with all the extra wiring I needed and and can be removed in two minutes if needed.
If everyone thought the same it'd be boring and I for one respect and and accept others peoples opinions it's what makes the world a better place to be in but if you want bass do it properly or upgrade your rear door speakers to mid range bit like small subs decent set off fronts I'd go for Jl audio run them off a nice little amp and no need for under seat thingies ( in my OPINION lol!)
Old 08 November 2015, 06:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Rear DOOR speakers? On a classic? muahahahahahahahahahahaha...we were lucky to get doors!
Old 08 November 2015, 06:47 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Default Classic??!

The guys got a newage and advice was based on the newage model and not classic no offence pal getting a bit sidetracked there
Old 15 November 2015, 08:19 AM
smunns
Scooby Regular

Their are two sides of this one if you want deep bass then yes your right you have to put a sub in the boot and try and vent it in the car or you will be going down the road sounding like a tin can being rattled. Second side is if you only want to put a little bass in the car without losing space in the boot the under seat it is.

Last edited by smunns; 15 November 2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 29 November 2015, 07:36 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Subaru used to sell an accessory under seat Sub for the NewAge cars....
Old 16 December 2015, 11:10 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobyn
DONT DO IT!! lol what a waste of time, you'll only regret it. Why dont u wanna fit a sub in the boot? if its space ur bothered about u can easily remove a sub just by disconnectin both speaker wires!! Fit an amp to the back seat. With stuff like this the sayin "You only get what u pay for" is spot on!!
What he said. I installed an under the seat subwoofer, it was back to Halfords with it the same day - rubbish.

Went for the pioneer in the boot instead
Old 17 December 2015, 04:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Opinion, again.
My Alpine under-seat unit is marvellous, and IMHO, out-performs any boot-mounted one
Old 25 December 2015, 10:19 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen and heard a couple of the under seat subs, they add a bit of bass at lower volumes, but are dissapointing when turned up.

I used to have a pair of 15's running infinate baffle (a board behind the rear seats with the subs mounted on facing forward) doesn't take up much boot space and makes everything wobble

Or, go a bit ghetto and fit a sub box in passenger footwell and run it off a 1,600w RMS amp (that's in my work van! )
Old 25 December 2015, 10:22 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

one other option is get some 6x9's, fit them in sealed boxes and put those under your seats. I have some Vibe BlackDeath 6x9's in my van and they made a massive difference to the standard stereo (before I fitted the sub)
Old 26 December 2015, 12:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It's all subjective, though Dave. I'd probably LOATHE your setup with it's fantastic bass.....but does that mean I'm right?

It's like I ALWAYS say to folk asking which speaker to buy:" Get y'self to somewhere they have them and LISTEN to them!"
Old 26 December 2015, 10:04 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you would like it. At lower levels it's nice and balanced, not overpowering or bass heavy. Just a nice full sound (an audiophile mate was very suprised with the sound quality). It sounds good, but you can just keep turning it up and it just gets louder without any distortion (Kenwood H/U, Phoenix Gold 4" in dash with 200hz LPF, Vibe Black Death 6x9's in sealed boxes off 300w JBL amp with 100hz LPF and 10" DB Audio T Rex sub in ported box with Hifonics 1600w RMS amp, 0 AWG cables)

I have been into car audio for over 20 years and I was the northen judge for sound off competitions. I tested and confirmed the first ever 'Propper Droppers' 150BD average for 1 x 15" sub.

I've heard loads of installs and some sound terrible, some are too bass heavy, others have too much top end. I have sat in some of the best SQ cars in Europe and the clarity is amazing

The best thing to do is try and listen to different installs, or cars with underseat subs in and decide what you want or how loud you want it to go
Old 27 December 2015, 11:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Agreed, but since sound is so subjective, and also depends on what you listen to and what it comes from on a day to day basis, someone might hate what you love.

As an example, my stereo here at home is half decent. I have a mate who genuinely prefers the sound of his Marantz based setup. There you go.

But I get what you are saying. When I installed mine, I was taking that car regularly as a sole driver to Limoges in SW France, absolutely FULL of stuff for a house we own there. So boot space was at a premium, whereas underseat, not so much.

And one more thing that would put me, personally, off a boot install:

THE FEKKIN IMPREZA CLASSIC BOOT HAS A WATER MAGNET INSIDE IT THAT SEEMS TO DRAW DAMP INTO THE BOOT!!!
Old 27 December 2015, 10:07 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
As an example, my stereo here at home is half decent. I have a mate who genuinely prefers the sound of his Marantz based setup. There you go.
(
Old 07 August 2016, 11:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thought I'd bump this, as really with the WOM comments it didn't provide the answer...

https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/1040...l#post11865224