ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Apple car play

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2015, 06:14 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikescooby
Moving from a 4s plus having the cable for the 4s i do use dashcommand and now have a 6 its rather expensive to change cable to the lightening adapter. Is dashcommand included in the car play. If not i will use the 4s cable and buy the converter adapter and see if it works that way
I don't understand what you mean about cables, you can get a lightning cable for a couple of quid now, but dash command DOES NOT work with car play at the current time.

I have read a thread where they say they have applied to Apple to have it added to the CarPlay though so there is hope for the future.
Old 07 June 2015, 07:37 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

Lightening adapter for hdmi to be used for video and dashcommand. Cant remember what its called on the radio for that option. Then theres the carplay were you just need you normal lightening cable for phone calls and messageing. Unless its abit different as i have the avic f60dab
Old 07 June 2015, 08:04 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Lightening adapter for hdmi to be used for video and dashcommand. Cant remember what its called on the radio for that option. Then theres the carplay were you just need you normal lightening cable for phone calls and messageing. Unless its abit different as i have the avic f60dab
Got ya now, "appradio mode", I don't know much about that, like you say it's pretty expensive for one of them digital av adaptors. Plus extra cables everywhere.
Old 08 June 2015, 04:18 PM
uncle_muddy
Scooby Newbie

My 1st post on this forum so please take it easy on me...

I'm begging to get one of these fitted in my 2010 hatch, but just can't work out if it's going to fit or not, as I popped into the local Halfrauds and had a measure up and the dimensions seam to be a bit off those of the dash hole (stupidly I forgot to write them down)

@InTurbo I'm assuming that you have plastic sound of some sort missing there? could you take some fairly accurate measurements of the device as you have it pictured in your post please?
Old 08 June 2015, 04:37 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle_muddy

I'm begging to get one of these fitted in my 2010 hatch, but just can't work out if it's going to fit or not, as I popped into the local Halfrauds and had a measure up and the dimensions seam to be a bit off those of the dash hole (stupidly I forgot to write them down)

@InTurbo I'm assuming that you have plastic sound of some sort missing there? could you take some fairly accurate measurements of the device as you have it pictured in your post please?
You need either a double din adaptor or a JDM replacement for the stereo / vent surround which is more expensive but looks a lot better.
Old 08 June 2015, 08:53 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

New iso 9 says carplay is going wireless

http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-ios-9-announced-features-release-date-and-more/
Old 08 June 2015, 11:24 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

New iso 9 says carplay is going wireless

http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-ios-...date-and-more/
Is the sph da120 wifi enabled though? I assume I would have to be for this to work? Or is it Bluetooth?
Old 09 June 2015, 09:18 PM
BurningSky
Scooby Regular

I'd assume (and hope!) it's Bluetooth. Installed this last weekend so will be playing around to see if I can get TomTom on the screen somehow, either using appradio or the Lightning to hdmi converter
Old 09 June 2015, 09:57 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uncle_muddy

The head unit comes with a surround but it's not needed as its fits flush with the dash. Just notice what you mean in the picture and it looks a lot worse than it is. Must be the angle that I took the pic.

Lot of talk about lighting connectors. It's just the usb that comes with your iPhone 6. All other cables come with the head unit.
Old 09 June 2015, 10:08 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BurningSky
I'd assume (and hope!) it's Bluetooth. Installed this last weekend so will be playing around to see if I can get TomTom on the screen somehow, either using appradio or the Lightning to hdmi converter
Yeah could be Bluetooth I suppose, I ain't to fussed about wireless any way as my phone can always use a few extra % of battery. The ultimate would be full mirroring of the phone, I have seen it on a older appradio with a jail broken iPhone.
Old 10 June 2015, 11:21 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

This looks a really nice setup, and would be perfect for my iphone.

Only thing that puts me off is volume control, i've had a few touch screen monitors in the past and its a nightmare if you want to quickly mute your stero or quickly turn it down. Does this have a one touch mute button? Be good if had steering wheel controls.

Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze
Still prefer a physical option then I can keep my eyes on the road.
Old 10 June 2015, 12:11 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
This looks a really nice setup, and would be perfect for my iphone.

Only thing that puts me off is volume control, i've had a few touch screen monitors in the past and its a nightmare if you want to quickly mute your stero or quickly turn it down. Does this have a one touch mute button? Be good if had steering wheel controls.
More of a 2 touch mute, a press on the volume button brings up the mute option on the screen. I've been looking into some sort remote but can't find anything, even fixed to the steering column would do me.
Old 06 October 2015, 01:49 PM
BurningSky
Scooby Regular

Anyone who's using the SPH-DA120, where did you connect the handbrake sensor cable? Did you follow a guide?
Old 06 October 2015, 02:33 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BurningSky
Anyone who's using the SPH-DA120, where did you connect the handbrake sensor cable? Did you follow a guide?
Earthed mine behind the stereo, thug life...
Old 06 October 2015, 02:36 PM
BurningSky
Scooby Regular

I was thinking that, that just means you can use the bluetooth options any time right? Anything in particular you earthed it to? or literally to the unit itself?
Old 06 October 2015, 04:39 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Not to the stereo! There's a stainless cross member thing behind the stereo just loosen a bolt off that, I just stripped the wire and used that.
Old 06 October 2015, 05:23 PM
BurningSky
Scooby Regular

And that lets you get to the Bluetooth settings?
Old 06 October 2015, 06:21 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

I don't think that has anything to do with Bluetooth, but I don't use it myself.
Old 07 October 2015, 08:39 AM
BurningSky
Scooby Regular

Ah, there's a light green wire that comes off the power connector that should be connected to the power supply side of the handbrake switch which gives you access to certain functionality, like bluetooth settings, when you have the handbrake on
Old 11 October 2015, 06:47 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Can anyone explain how to change the start up screen to a custom logo? Cheers lads
Old 12 October 2015, 12:32 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrSamiG
Can anyone explain how to change the start up screen to a custom logo? Cheers lads
You need to put your logo on a usb stick first, plug that in, then you'll have the option of using it on the wallpaper bit
Old 12 October 2015, 05:36 PM
MrSamiG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze
You need to put your logo on a usb stick first, plug that in, then you'll have the option of using it on the wallpaper bit
Is this the same for the start up logo as well?
Old 20 October 2015, 05:35 PM
Ade Parko
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if its possible to get digital radio stations through the apple play via your mobile?
Old 20 October 2015, 07:39 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Scooby Regular

It supports a few apps like "tune in" radio and I��radio or whatever there called
Old 25 November 2015, 12:15 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On the subject of the handbrake cable.

I am aware it needs to be earthed. I believe but would appreciate confirmation that Subaru have a 12v feed to the Handbrake light and DCCD and that this earths via a switch in the handbrake so that once lifted it connects the light circuit and DCCD to earth to operate. Thus the handbrake assembly receives a single cable that indicates 12v live if checked from the cable end and either open circuit or earth if checked from the switch side.

I'd appreciate the confirmation of this logic...
Old 25 November 2015, 12:16 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyscoob

I am aware it needs to be earthed. I believe but would appreciate confirmation that Subaru have a 12v feed to the Handbrake light and DCCD and that this earths via a switch in the handbrake so that once lifted it connects the light circuit and DCCD to earth to operate. Thus the handbrake assembly receives a single cable that indicates 12v live if checked from the cable end and either open circuit or earth if checked from the switch side.

I have just got the Alpine ILX-700.
Old 27 November 2015, 08:18 AM
BurningSky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyscoob

I believe the logic is correct from what I understand but I haven't tested as I'm not sure how to access the wire
Old 27 November 2015, 05:27 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

My ILX does indeed react to the handbrake cable being earthed by thinking the handbrake is on.

Nice.
Old 27 November 2015, 05:35 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need a 5 pin relay mate

Old 27 November 2015, 09:28 PM
InTurbo
Scooby Regular

I've Just earth it on to the chassis, you can then use all functions while driving. No need to mess around with the handbrake.
Simple!

Quick Reply: Apple car play