Notices

Possible Head Gaskit? Need Help Trobble Shooting!

Old 17 April 2012, 10:10 PM
Joe will
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Head Gaskit? Need Help Trobble Shooting!

RIGHT, guys just bought another subaru uk2000 with some goodies on, fully decated, kn, remapped, 6pot scoobysport (kad) brakes near new, set of 3 defi gauges, samco pipes under bonnet, strut brace, alloy rad, sti spoiler, whiteline links, rb5 alloys, think thats about it. 113k on the clock, w reg, candy red, with 4 previous owers.

I bought it to break but after cleaning it and driving up the feilds its to good to break. The lad i bought it off could no longer afford to keep it as having kids, and it started over heating he couldnt afford the expense. Well he parked it out on his road, were it was stood there for a year till the tax ran out and the dvla and couciel started giving him ****. So moved to his friends garage who said were spend abit of time having a look to see why its over heating.

They done:

thermerstate
clean and checked water pump

Put it back together and still over heated.

so it was up for grabs i see abit of a bargin and thought are go for it.

SO? whats wrong with it? i had it running on the yard and me, my bro and my dad all had a blits around one of the grass feilds and doesnt as yet over heat. But i think on a road on a trip it will.

Is there anything i can try to narrow down the problem? or signs to look for? ie:

sensors
coolent air locks
theres no crap on oil or coolent caps.

WHAT YOU RECKON CHAPS?

cheers joe
Old 17 April 2012, 10:37 PM
spooks34
Scooby Newbie

just get the cooling system pressure tested!! check for any leaks!!
Old 17 April 2012, 10:44 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Make sure the coolant level is OK, faulty pressure cap can cause problems,but it's highly likely to be a head gasket problem.
Old 17 April 2012, 11:03 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drain and refil the cooling system, slowly, squeezing the rad pipes. look for bubbles in the expansion tank, the one with the pressure cap on. Sniff test is a very good test for showing HG probs.

hopefully its just an airlock...
Old 20 April 2012, 08:09 PM
Joe will
Scooby Regular

UPDATE!!!!

Started taking the defi gauges out today as had abit of time and putting them in the rb5. only to fine the fan plug diconected! So dived in to the car pulled the dash fuse case off to fine 2x20quid notes all out! lol.

Anyway checked all the fuses, The fans still dont kick in on the driveway and the tempreture doesnt move up.

The rad end tank gets hot but the pipes are all only warm not hot, and you can hold them.

What do we think. Take it for a rag and see wat happens? Or is there things i can do to test the rad fans and functional or anything else to try?

??????WHAT DOES A FU2KED HEAD GASKIT SMELL LIKE??????
cheers joe
Old 21 April 2012, 10:56 AM
dannycelluk
Scooby Regular

is it defo overheating?

When i got my car the water temp guage was sat up at about 3/4 scale. After completing a diagnostic, the temperature was fine, it was the guage that was incorrect.

Someone had put aftermarked dials on the car and put the needles for the gauges on incorrectly.

just a thought....
Old 21 April 2012, 01:59 PM
Joe will
Scooby Regular

Right took it for a thrash as i really want to get to the bottom of this!

But before,

I did a check to see if there were any fault codes so pluged in the old black and green blocks and went though the motions. The rad fans kick in when doing this like always. so that i thought solved that. no problems and no faults.

Well went for a thrash and the temp didnt move at all. pulled over after like 10 or so breaf blips.

and water was pissing out the plastic filler by the battery...... and the fans were'nt going!!!!!

Drove slowly hope popped the header tank cap and it pissed out!!!! so its over heating but not telling me! And the fans are'nt kicking in. All thing point to me to the thermistate witch i was told has been replaced.

Any further idea's lads whats your thoughts?

cheeers joe
Old 21 April 2012, 02:05 PM
Joe will
Scooby Regular

few pics of the car

Old 21 April 2012, 03:45 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

hmmm is there mayo on the underside of the oil filler cap?

Does the coolant smell of petrol?

You need to do a compression test on all 4 cylinders to be able to rule out the HG going, you might be lucky and they havent - if you keep taking it out and thrashing it then you will only increase the chances of damaging the HG.

ignore what the previous owner told you had been done / replaced - start by replacing the coolant as the fact the bottom ones are warm not hot could signify a airlock. If this doesnt work then look at replacing the thermostat and take it from there (cheapest first)