Notices

HELP!-anyone had trouble removing colomn top cowling

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2010, 12:03 AM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!-anyone had trouble removing colomn top cowling

ive got a 97 type-r version 4 and im having a mare getting at the clocks to replace some nasty blue leds,

first off its got a carbon clock surround which only just squeezed past the top colomn cowling after a lot of swearing, im guessing a standard item is more flexible, but im unable to get the clocks out as the top plastic colomn just will not come off no matter what position i put it in

ive tried removing the stalks but this doesnt help, steering colomn is in the fully down position,

surely this should just lift upwards but the top of it goes too far under the clocks to allow this and it cant lift up slightly and then towards you as it has 2 long parts on the inside of it that the lower portion screws into preventing it moving towards and past a part of the steering colomn.

please help as i'll end up breaking it knowing me, it must of come out some how for the previous owner to fit the naff lights, does it sound like a wrong part has been fitted, it does look stock tho,

never had a problem getting covers and clocks out in previous cars but this has me stumped
Old 12 June 2010, 07:11 AM
sc_sjo
Scooby Regular

I am also keen to find the answer to this, but for the MY99- facelift dash. It just doesn't want to come out, nor does the instrument cluster!
Old 12 June 2010, 08:04 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

you won't remove the cowling without taking out the clocks first.

the speedo surround does need bending at the bottom slightly to fit over the cowling as you have found already.

clockes are dead easy to get out, i usually undo the 3 screws, pull them towards you slightly the twist them forward, undo the 3 plugs on the back then with them in the forward position pull the left hand side out first and slide them out to the left side of the steering wheel.

you can then remove the cowling.

not the best explination i'm afraid but it should'nt be difficult.
Old 12 June 2010, 10:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As Phil says: had mine out yesterday.

The cowling surround is made of the chewiest plastic known to man. I was trying to cut a hole in the bottom left of mine, 40 x 25mm, it took me over an hour, it had to be melted out, then filed to shape. Utter mare, but it's done now.

ACT gauge now fits in the hole.