Notices

FMIC pipes - replacement set?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2016, 12:02 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default FMIC pipes - replacement set?

I have a hawk with a Hybrid GT2 GC8 FMIC fitted...the pipework is a little short on the hot side (driver's side).

After too many incidences of the hot-side fitting blowing off (see red hosepipe in the photo), I am looking to sort my pipes out properly with new hose, clamps and hairspray. I want a longer curved pipe from core as the current one leaves a 6-7 cm gap which has to be covered by a long silicone extension. Also my current pipes have smooth ends (no bead/lip) and I would like beads to help the pipes stay on.

Can these be purchased off the shelf or should I look at having my existing pipes beaded a new longer piece made from scratch.

Last edited by plenty; 24 October 2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 24 October 2016, 12:16 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you entertained replacing the clamps around the offending joints with Murray Constant Tension jobs? They really work. They're de rigueur on professionally-prepared racing cars.

It'd be your easiest, 'less of a ballache' route.

Even if you still want/need the lips done, then the MCTs are still well worth having, regardless (so won't have 'wasted' any money, so to speak).

Last edited by joz8968; 24 October 2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 24 October 2016, 12:38 AM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Yep already have a set of Murray clamps but there's still too big of a gap between the hard pipes, and beaded pipe ends are surely a good idea...
Old 24 October 2016, 06:51 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah okay.

Yes, lips desirable. As they obviously help prevent the hoses from slipping past.
Old 24 October 2016, 08:48 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Cheers. Any other input appreciated - would pipes of the same diameter from any newage IC kit fit? The cores are all approx the same size so I assume so...
Old 24 October 2016, 10:50 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flare the pipe ends yourself with a pair of pliers, just a small amount all the way around and you may find that adds enough extra grip for the clamp. For the connection where you have a large gap, you could try moving those close together, preferably wedged in so less chance of blowing off and having the gap where it meets the core. You could either reinforce the hose with a small section of pipe or cut down one of the two pipes and then add another section in so the pipework is a snug fit.

To answer your question a lot of the kits use 63mm (2.5") pipework so would all mate up ok. If that one join is the only one your having issues with then i would try the above before shelling out on a new set of pipes.

I purchased some pipework from here for a reasonable price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2708657138...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Dubzy; 24 October 2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 25 October 2016, 08:56 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plenty
Cheers. Any other input appreciated - would pipes of the same diameter from any newage IC kit fit? The cores are all approx the same size so I assume so...

Have a look at these guys:

http://www.apmotorstore.co.uk/alloy-pipes.html
Old 25 October 2016, 05:48 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Thanks all - really helpful input.
Old 27 October 2016, 12:13 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems with hoses blowing off hot side too. The problem is obviously caused by lack of bead/lip/flange on the join and in my case aided by vapour residue in the hot side ic pipes.
It wasn't until I fitted a catch can and degreased the inside and outside of the ic pipe work that the Murray clamps could get a purchase.
I was on the verge of buying a bead roller swager but since the clean up the pipes have stayed on even during track days and sprints.

http://www.viperperformance.co.uk

Always had great products and service from these guys

Last edited by edsel; 27 October 2016 at 12:18 AM.