Notices

Quiet exhaust for 2008 STI Hatchback ? Jetex ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2016, 10:26 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Quiet exhaust for 2008 STI Hatchback ? Jetex ?

Hey all,

I've got a 2008 STI Hatchback thats been remapped, it's got a decat down pipe and a 3" Magnaflow exhaust with quad tail pipes. The Downpipe tapers to 2.5" where it meets the centre pipe (which has no resonator) and has a donut gasket fitted. This was all fitted already when I purchased the car.

It's very loud.

I know noise level is a personal opinion but it's too loud for me and he neighbours lol. So, I need to quieten this thing.

I find the exhaust note very 'raspy', it has a very low basey burble but becomes quite tiny/metal sounding when on the throttle. Everyday driving has become a bit of a chore unfortunately, on a race track fine as it sounds lovely but day in, day out I need something a little more subtle.

So, options? I've read that the Jetex exhaust is quiet, any other recommendations, I'd like to keep the quad tailpipes as it suits the rear bumper to fill the cutouts, I think a single or twin on one side would look a bit odd.

Thanks!
Old 19 October 2016, 06:13 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the jetex on my blob and it is a quiet system compared to many. It's 3" turbo back. Also cheaper to get it from revolution24/7 than jetex themselves
Old 19 October 2016, 11:19 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Milltek
Old 20 October 2016, 02:05 AM
Neeko1988
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you get an exhaust place to weld in a centre section silencer?
Old 20 October 2016, 02:03 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

How big a part does the rear silencer/back box play quieting the exhaust?

Is most of the sound deadening done by the resonators throughout the system and the back box is just a final silencer? As the system I've already got - Magnaflow - has a back box but no resonators so would changing to a non resonated system again be a waste of time, as Neeko said, just use bolt on resonators.

Thinking about it my old scoobs had a standard exhaust apart from a Blitz Nur Spec S back box I fitted and that did make the exhaust louder, however it's not really a silencer per se, it's a straight through box just like a motorbike silencer.
Old 20 October 2016, 08:48 PM
spindle121
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Put a bung in it. ?
Old 20 October 2016, 09:07 PM
andyf31
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spindle121
Put a bung in it. ?
It's got quad pipes, he will need more than one
Old 21 October 2016, 06:19 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scoober101
How big a part does the rear silencer/back box play quieting the exhaust?

Is most of the sound deadening done by the resonators throughout the system and the back box is just a final silencer? As the system I've already got - Magnaflow - has a back box but no resonators so would changing to a non resonated system again be a waste of time, as Neeko said, just use bolt on resonators.

Thinking about it my old scoobs had a standard exhaust apart from a Blitz Nur Spec S back box I fitted and that did make the exhaust louder, however it's not really a silencer per se, it's a straight through box just like a motorbike silencer.

A big part I'd say. When I got my car t had a 2.5" stainless with a 5" tail and it was loud. Now with the jetex 3" with a 4" tail it is a lot quieter. Has no centre resonators just the back box
Old 21 October 2016, 07:25 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Fitting the resonator back onto my hatchback made the world of diffrence to how it sounded as mine was loud and raspy before I fitted the resonator , now it sounds loads better and the tin sound has gone
Old 21 October 2016, 09:02 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by domino46
Fitting the resonator back onto my hatchback made the world of diffrence to how it sounded as mine was loud and raspy before I fitted the resonator , now it sounds loads better and the tin sound has gone
Same here, center section makes a big difference to the sound.
Old 21 October 2016, 09:47 AM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Originally Posted by matt-c
Same here, center section makes a big difference to the sound.
What resonator did you guys fit back on? I see Jetex do a universal 3" round resonator/silencer with slip joint ends which would be pretty easy to fit.

The design of the Jetex and Milltek system is quite different to the Magnaflow system, the 'incoming' pipe to the back box is in the centre and the exit tails come out the sides at the front - towards the front of the car. Whereas the Magnaflow has the pipe incoming to the side. This would obviously change the characteristics of gas flow but also sound too. I'd guess this is why the Jetex and Milltek are quieter.

Last edited by scoober101; 21 October 2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 21 October 2016, 11:38 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by scoober101
What resonator did you guys fit back on? I see Jetex do a universal 3" round resonator/silencer with slip joint ends which would be pretty easy to fit.

The design of the Jetex and Milltek system is quite different to the Magnaflow system, the 'incoming' pipe to the back box is in the centre and the exit tails come out the sides at the front - towards the front of the car. Whereas the Magnaflow has the pipe incoming to the side. This would obviously change the characteristics of gas flow but also sound too. I'd guess this is why the Jetex and Milltek are quieter.
Mine is a full 3" japspeed ,,when I brought the car it came with the resonator cut out and a strait pipe put in its place and I didn't like the sound so had to buy a Center section with a resonator and it's made it loads better , was thinking about swapping exhausts until I fitted the new Center section

Just a idea of what it sounds like now ,, any excuse to post a video lol

Last edited by domino46; 21 October 2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 21 October 2016, 11:53 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

trying to mix & match exhausts on hatches is a pain due to the backboxes using different connecting entry points - you really need to buy a complete cat back imo

ive a 3" Milltek sport cat and cosworth cat back on my 330s and its perfect for me with the car being used as daily driver, you get a bit of drone at very low revs 1.5-2k but cruising anything over that is fine but doubt youd find a cosworth system 2nd hand

ive few videos on youtube of it
Old 21 October 2016, 10:47 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine would wake the dead - don't give a fucckkkk thou lol
Old 22 October 2016, 09:24 AM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Anyone know if the Milltek cat back system will mate to a 'standard' decat down pipe that tapers down to 2.5"?

Im sure I read somewhere that Milltek change things so you have to use thier parts, Im not interested in buying their high flow downpipe and sports cat so need to find out if the centre pipe on the Milltek system will fit correctly to a decat downpipe.